December Holiday Festivus Retro GOTM - - Final Fantasy

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Decided to give this a go without bothering with handicap challenges as I haven't played it in a decade or more. It looks rather good with PSP emulation on my 50" TV, and the fastforward function of the emulator makes the trash fights so much more tolerable.

The thing I've always loved about this game is how it does so much with so little. It keeps the themes and combat really simple, which allows it to have a really impactful feeling to it. A town taken over by pirates sticks with you despite it literally just being a static entity with just a couple "oh woe is us" lines from town NPC's. And, the music is bloody fantastic.

Just got the mystic key.

Screenshot (1).png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Man I really need to catch up. But now Vanessa has me questioning myself about not doing a challenge party.

She's even the only other one besides me doing a version with old magic system, I think. ( Vanessa Vanessa unless you picked easy mode on Origins?)

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Decided to give this a go without bothering with handicap challenges as I haven't played it in a decade or more. It looks rather good with PSP emulation on my 50" TV, and the fastforward function of the emulator makes the trash fights so much more tolerable.

The thing I've always loved about this game is how it does so much with so little. It keeps the themes and combat really simple, which allows it to have a really impactful feeling to it. A town taken over by pirates sticks with you despite it literally just being a static entity with just a couple "oh woe is us" lines from town NPC's. And, the music is bloody fantastic.

Just got the mystic key.

View attachment 185125
+1 for Magician names. Think I've read all of Feists books.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
But now Vanessa has me questioning myself

ezgif-1-f257a5ebd0ff.gif

I didn't mean for it to end up this way!

20181205_135153.jpg

I just picked normal mode and this is what I'm tooling around with... you're saying if I picked easy mode it switches to mana instead of set number of charges of magic???

-edit- No, I just tested it out with a new party... easy mode still has the old system of charges of magic too.

Honestly was unaware they added mana to FF1 in later editions. You guys are skating down 5th street with that change. Do they sell mana recharging items in the item shop similar to potions on those editions too? If so, wow.. we're almost playing different games here challenge wise!

Last edited:
  • 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
you're saying if I picked easy mode it switches to mana instead of set number of charges of magic???

-edit- No, I just tested it out with a new party... easy mode still has the old system of charges of magic too.

oh wow, i never tried it out, i figured it had the new magic system. my bad.

oh yeah, forgot about this part RE: "GBA is the same as PSX" -- GBA is the same as "EASY" mode difficulty on PSX (apparently excepting the magic system is still OG in easy PSX). GBA also has equipment available in the bonus dungeons that are attainable even before the end of the game, which adds another layer of ease if taken advantage of.

all future versions (PSP, Steam) are also the same difficulty as EASY mode on PSX regarding enemy balancing, as far as i know.

Vanessa and i are apparently the only two doing OG difficulty versions
fist-black.png

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
All that really means tho is that we're the most sadistic retards on this run. I'd really have more fun with mana... didn't know that was a thing.

It really would've been great if there was someone here doing a legit NES grey-toaster run like this clown here. Fucking solo WM... now that is nerd commitment.

Ding 17... going for Vampire now. -v--v-

• 1Like

Janx

<Silver Donator>
I did the OG run back in the late 80s multiple times and dont wish to run my nuts through that grinder again. The PSP version so far does feel SUPER easy but from some of the streams I watched it appears some of the extra content has some challenge.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Yeah, the PSP version is proving to be super easy. I don't really give a shit though as I have no interest in the difficulty of 30 year old games. Just playing for nostalgia while watching some Netflix

• 1Like

Szlia

The WonderSwan Color version has some quality of life improvements: auto retarget, party based item pool (instead of character based), buying in bulks, forgeting memorized spells to make room for others, but it still has the stupid Dungeon & Dragon inspired magic system.

On a side note, these color screens that are not backlit are ass (same deal with the GBA). I have yet to find a proper position in regard to the light source to see the picture comfortably...

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

Just got the mystic key.

View attachment 185125
+1 for Magician names. Think I've read all of Feists books.

Hehe it's ALL the names lol... but while Thomas is cool and all he is just teh OPz like Pug.. I would have done Eric :) but I am fond because I started my Feist obsession with shadow of the dark queen, then moved back to riftwar...

I am on the last book... I don't want to finish it

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Hehe it's ALL the names lol... but while Thomas is cool and all he is just teh OPz like Pug.. I would have done Eric :) but I am fond because I started my Feist obsession with shadow of the dark queen, then moved back to riftwar...

Shadow of a dark queen was my first book as well. Picked it up at a grocery store on a whim. Turned out to be my favourite book series of all time,. I still need to check out the last few books and his new series though.

• 1Solidarity

Janx

<Silver Donator>

Man end of Serpentwar was rough having read riftwar many many times in my youth. Feist did such a great job with the characters.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
That PSP version looks pretty slick, I’ll have to see if my pi has it.

I’ve probably played through this game 30 times. Did all the mono class playthroughs, I remember WM being a lot easier than I thought it would be, think monk was easy too due to not needing to find gear to rape. And BM really sucking due to sleeping to reset all the spells all the time.

I remember one summer I beat the game start to finish in a day...my nerd buddy was so impressed. I remember thinking that was a big accomplishment until I saw someone speedrun for 3 hours. Mine was probably more like 12.

Do we have all month to play it? Haven’t done a GotM before.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I was struggling with my trio (am I really the only one doing a "challenge run" here? Son, I am disappoint), but then I remember something I had stashed away:

View attachment 185117

Now I'm playing with power... Nintendo Power, and was able to do this:

View attachment 185119

It's all down the chute from here boys!

I’ve asked you this before and don’t remember an answer. Is that a giant frame of M.U.S.C.L.E. Men on your wall?

Siliconemelons

The PSP version is nice, but someone said the PS1 version has real orchestrated music, why everything after that didnt is dumb.. because the music and expanded use of the bigger score is nice.

I just stupidly spend $$$$$$$$$4 on ruby armlet right when I needed to buy the dumbass fariy.. so BACK TO THE ICE CAVE TO EYE FARM FOR GREAT JUSTICE

and I mean stupid, it was while I HAD THE RAT TAIL and got distracted by going to a new town SEEING OHH SHINY then BUYING EVERYONE NEW SHIT...then class upgraded them...

impulse shopping in FF1 folks.

• 1Worf

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Do we have all month to play it? Haven’t done a GotM before.

Xadion made a rough guideline:

Sure sounds good.

Light your first orb / crystal by the end of the week is the milestone.

Next week, as paths diverge - aim to class change and or 2nd orb

3rd week, 2nd and 3rd OR 3rd and 4th orbs depending on how you want to do things.

The ring in Christmas by finishing 4th if not done and then ----> GOING TO THE PAST WITH THE POWER OF THE RESTORED ORBS OF LIGHT! GO FORTH WARRIORS OF LIGHT!

Think we're calling Sunday "end of the week"

• 1Like

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm traveling for work all the way until Christmas week and in locations that have terrible internet so a single player game like this sounds fun.

Is there a way to get the best version of this on mobile? Would play it while laying in bed at the hotel.

Edit: noticed it's in the play store. Is that an OK version?

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

I'm traveling for work all the way until Christmas week and in locations that have terrible internet so a single player game like this sounds fun.

Is there a way to get the best version of this on mobile? Would play it while laying in bed at the hotel.

Sure why not, it's touch enabled so it would be a lot more friendly than trying to use touch screen controllers that usually suck.

Janx

<Silver Donator>

I've seen a lot of negative reviews on it. If its an option just get your prefered emulator and bluetooth a PS4 controller to your phone.