December Holiday Festivus Retro GOTM - - Final Fantasy

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Original game was 'balanced' to be beaten around party level 30, going all the way to level 50 (which I did once) took hours and hours of grinding in some of the nastiest parts of the temple of fiends.

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
To the skies~

20181208_233346.jpg

Also have become men via Rat Tail.

To be quite blunt, I'm never doing another challenge run on any game again... it's just not fun and it makes everything more tedious and stressful; and I like to have fun.

Plus, the only silver lining of this is that, during my lifetime, I've beat FF1 probably half a dozen times so I know the game extremely well and all the various tricks to help get through it easier than a novice so it's been interesting doing this run but meh... was a learning experience of what not to do in the future :p

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Only game I like challenge runs on is FFIIIII.
Final Fantasy: Barcode ?

Milestone #2 completed

20181212_153153.jpg

Alright, it's one and done won and done for our week #2 milestone/goal.

At this level, I'm getting through dungeons using almost 100% inventory items instead of actually fighting because I need to save magic charges for bosses LoL. It's a pretty ridiculous run.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Should I go for the class change before going for the fire crystal?

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Doing the Ice Cave at level 16 was a pain in the ass, but on my third try I successfully left with the Levistone. Citadel of Ordeals afterward was considerably easier. Just now turning in the Rat Tail to Bahamut, doing Mt. Gulg now with my upgraded classes at level 18 is going to be a refreshing cake walk. Totally worth doing "out of order." :)

• 1Like

Szlia

Wuwu! Beat the game! The final fight was dangerously close. He started spamming these super cinematic versions of hit all elemental magic and there is just no way to out-heal that, so it turned into a dps race I barely won. I probably got a little lucky though because he is supposed to have a full heal in his arsenal of BS... but maybe they removed that in the Wonderswan Color and later versions as bosses are supposed to have more hp?

The ending was a bit disappointing when you consider they made little movie clips for things as mundane as taking the sub to and from the underwater temple and that final text scroll sure felt like it lasted for 2000 years! HAH!

On this upgraded version and with the help of spoilers, the ride was a mostly painless one, but also a bit dull with a vast number of questionable design decisions that came to be fixed in later iterations of the franchise. I could not fathom playing this game blind on the NES (with character based item bags, single item shopping, no attack redirect and, most importantly perhaps, no sprint!). GG to the FF OG I guess?

Anyway I am glad I played the game for general video game culture and glad years after buying it that weird Bandai handheld got put to good use. The screen is horrible as it is not back or side lit, the D-pad is 4 buttons, there is no headphone jack BUT I played through 20ish hours of FF on a single AA battery and it was still kicking! I guess that's something!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Therage

Vyemm Raider
I am essentially playing it blind. In the sense I haven't played it since I was a kid. Although I did watch projared play through it i can't figure out wtf I'm doing or where I'm going. I've found the dwarves, level 4 spells etc. Can't find the first crystal though so there's that I guess haha.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I am essentially playing it blind. In the sense I haven't played it since I was a kid. Although I did watch projared play through it i can't figure out wtf I'm doing or where I'm going. I've found the dwarves, level 4 spells etc. Can't find the first crystal though so there's that I guess haha.

man, you're hardcore, haha. this is my third play through (of any version) and i'm still following a guide so i don't end up pulling my hair out.

almost no one finds the canoe in the NES version without some help. the trigger to get it is pretty poorly thought out. and you can't progress further than where you are without it. good luck, man.

Therage

Vyemm Raider
So far I am lvl 10, got matoyas crystal and about to wake the elf prince. I spent some time doing peninsula of power before marsh cave. Wanted to get some money and levels. But holy shit feel like I'm barely making progress. Aside from having spells and all the gear. Lol.

*edit* spelling.

• 1Like

Therage

Vyemm Raider
The wife and I sat on the couch last night. She was doing some work and we listened to an audio book while I ground some levels and gold. Level 15, finally found the earth cave. Immediately chose the annoying battle ever step path. Thankfully I think I'm super over leveled lol because I'm rolling this shit. I realize I'm taking forever to get shit done, but I typically don't skip battles and haven't been looking anything up. On the upside I have lots of money (I think) even after buying spells in melmond or whatever that town was (50k+).

Having a blast can't wait to play more after work tomorrow. Really want to get back up and see if I can beat earth cave tonight.

• 2Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
The wife and I sat on the couch last night. She was doing some work and we listened to an audio book while I ground some levels and gold. Level 15, finally found the earth cave. Immediately chose the annoying battle ever step path. Thankfully I think I'm super over leveled lol because I'm rolling this shit. I realize I'm taking forever to get shit done, but I typically don't skip battles and haven't been looking anything up. On the upside I have lots of money (I think) even after buying spells in melmond or whatever that town was (50k+).

Having a blast can't wait to play more after work tomorrow. Really want to get back up and see if I can beat earth cave tonight.

I'm enjoying reading your thoughts while playing blind, so no worries on taking forverer here haha. :). Good stuff.

Szlia

I don't think the devs realized that making a "death trap" area with tough encounters on every tile was really making a "grind fast" area since it removes both the wait time between random encounters and the possibility to have lame encounters. When you discover the area it's pretty neat though, because you don't realize instantly what is going on and when you do it's a bit like you walked into quicksands or something... should I go back? should I press through?

• 1Like

Therage

Vyemm Raider
I don't think the devs realized that making a "death trap" area with tough encounters on every tile was really making a "grind fast" area since it removes both the wait time between random encounters and the possibility to have lame encounters. When you discover the area it's pretty neat though, because you don't realize instantly what is going on and when you do it's a bit like you walked into quicksands or something... should I go back? should I press through?

Yup I actually plan on grinding there a bit. If I can although the inability to use tents or cabins inside makes it annoying.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Back traveling for work and this time brought my ps4 controller. I've never beaten a single final Fantasy game ever. I'm a little scared.

• 1Like

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
I originally played this game on Thanksgiving day in my grandparents basement in 1990. Playing on some tiny ancient 1970's TV with janky color. The Vampire looked like it was going to a rave.

So 14 years old. With a group of my cousins navigating the nintendo power guide to look up information for me. Warrior, Thief, Red Mage, White Mage as my party of choice.

So nice revisiting this 28 years later. PPSSPP version running off the main pc with 5x upscalling and 16x FXAA turned on makes it look fantastic. Using a wired xbox 360 controller. Warrior, Monk, Red Mage, White Mage. So nice playing off a 34" Alienware monitor on a brand new rig.

• 2Like