December Holiday Festivus Retro GOTM - - Final Fantasy

Therage

Vyemm Raider
And then after the class change they get to learn White Mage spells!

Are you playing the NES version man? Think you're the only one if so.

And have you played this game before? I can't actually tell from the way you write about it.

Glad to have you playing along with us tho, your write-ups are always top notch dude.

I actually said fuck it and restarted on the nes classic I got on my birthday a couple days ago. So I'm farming levels outside of where you get the boat. Lol team is 5 now (war bl belt theif and w. Mage). Haven't played it on nes since I rented it at blockbuster as a kid.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

There is one version that has - non menu run- I think PS1? It is what people use for speed runs.

But yeah there are some annoying things, but menu based run- can have advantages, thief and BM i think have higher chance, so the others can heal/hit thigns while they try and run, vs all running and no dice.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
You have to question the balance of this game though...

The game is over 30 years old and pioneered a genre. Pretty sure Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest 2 were some of the very first to feature a party of characters instead of a single protagonist.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Szlia

The game is over 30 years old and pioneered a genre. Pretty sure Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest 2 were some of the very first to feature a party of characters instead of a single protagonist.
Objection! :p Final Fantasy was released in December of 1987. The three main video game influences for it where Dragon Quest and transitively Ultima and Wizardry. As you mentioned, Dragon Quest II featured a party of characters and was also released in 87 (January). BUT Ultima 3, the first of the serie to have a 4 character party was released in 1983 and the first Wizardry already had a party back in 1981!

On a side note, for me what differentiate japanese RPGs from western ones is characters that are blank slates or not. This differentiation still does not exist in Final Fantasy I and Dragon Quest I, but is definitely there by Final Fantasy IV and Dragon Quest III. Quid of FF II and III and of DQ II?

pharmakos pharmakos I am playing the WonderSwan Color version. To bring the video game hipster factor to 11, I don't have any WonderSwan Color, I have the special Final Fantasy branded edition! To be fair, the thing was extremely cheap at the time. I want to say it was something like $100 for the pack with the console and FFI. There are some minor quality of life improvements compared to the NES version, but I also get 16-bit pixel art, backgrounds in battles, shops you can walk in, and some cut scenes, both of the "digital puppetry" kind we know and love with the standard game view and the characters that move around and react and, more surprisingly, some full screen cinematic ones (notably for the explosion that opens the passage between the sea and the ocean).

EDIT: Oh and that's a second attempt at a first play through (the first attempt being the 6 hours I played in 2000), but I am not very patient with this type of games, so I am using external resources as soon as I am somewhat stuck or confused about what something does, etc...

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Szlia

You did not painted the game as a pioneer of the genre, but as a pioneer of party system, using this as a reason why the balance between the classes is a bit iffy. I am just pointing out that a party system was not such a new thing in 87. To be fair though, it's very likely the balance between the classes was also out of whack in the games that came before it, considering their main inspiration was Dungeons & Dragons which was also all kind of fubared in that regard.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I actually said fuck it and restarted on the nes classic I got on my birthday a couple days ago. So I'm farming levels outside of where you get the boat. Lol team is 5 now (war bl belt theif and w. Mage). Haven't played it on nes since I rented it at blockbuster as a kid.

I think sailing around is a bit better exp/gil than walking around there.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
A little bit further in, the wraith fight in front of the first Mystic Key cheat in the Western Keep is awesome money. I stepped on that tile to trigger the fight five or six times to help afford level 4 spells.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
some full screen cinematic ones (notably for the explosion that opens the passage between the sea and the ocean).

Just got there myself on the PSX version, first time playing a version with that little clip added, was actually a pretty nice little added detail.

Szlia

Rainy Sunday. Planned to go to the movies, but the rain made me stay home and grind through more of FF.... so... I have all 4 Crystals now!

I am glad I did not try to play this game back in the days. Going through it blind must be extremely annoying considering how disjointed the progression pointers and items are. You really have to comb everything to not miss a clue given by some random character in some unrelated place (my favorite being the mermaid in the underwater temple who mentions seeing people using a chime to enter a tower that is on the other side of the world in the middle of a desert), to not miss a key item you might not even know is key in a place no one said it would be (several people mention the floating stone in the ice cave, but what about the Rosetta's stone in the sunken temple?) or simply to realize there is that one spot you can land your airship 200 miles away from the village you want to visit....

I have a couple spells to buy for my white mage and then I'll have a go at the final dungeon. I guess I don't have to grind as the previous dungeon went very smoothly, but I always feel like I am an unlucky encounter away from a catastrophe. I mean, as soon as you have a big group of enemies than can do high damage group spells, use death spells, petrify or simply crit' for 100+ dmg, it feels like an unlucky round or two can result in a wipe or in a dead white mage. To be fair, you need a lot of things to go wrong for a catastrophe to happen, and it happened to me only twice in the 18 hours I played.

• 1Like

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I beat this game when I was like... 9? I've even documented my rage-inducing story of getting one-shot by Chaos using Nuke and my breaking a NES controller on my shin, resulting in a great scar story.

I could honestly probably play through it (on some speed setting; original was balls-slow) in a weekend from start to finish. The mystique is definitely out for me, even if I do the GBA versions with the extra dungeons. A full white mage party just means you grind more and run from non-undead/harmable mobs a lot more. In the end, you basically just grind past the point it is difficult and your HP can cope with the RNG of abilities.

This is my second favorite NES rpg from the late 80s; DW1 was the best because I love Terrific Blows.

Siliconemelons

Chaos has been slain.

What I find hilarious is the expanded text... its all about a damn time loop and they keep just talking in circles, its quite hilarious.

Will write up more late, but I did enjoy the re-run through the OG Final Fantasy :)

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Chaos has been slain.

What I find hilarious is the expanded text... its all about a damn time loop and they keep just talking in circles, its quite hilarious.

Will write up more late, but I did enjoy the re-run through the OG Final Fantasy :)

You gonna do any of the bonus dungeons?

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

You gonna do any of the bonus dungeons?

Maybe, I may do the one in the chaos shrine, that seemed interesting. I did one of the ones that you can get into after killing the fiend and it was odd...yeilded like nothing cool and then I got to an odd "world map" that was the dungeon still.. i just kinda reset that shit lol

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I played through all the bonus dungeons way back when I beat the GBA version. I do remember the first one being lame rewards wise but the second two being worth it. The fourth one you have to run through three or four times to get all the rewards / beat all the bonus bosses. It was long as shit tho so I only bothered doing it once.

Never did the second set of bonus dungeons added for PSP but heard they were alright, good level of challenge beating the bosses.

The first four bonus dungeons use bosses from FF4-6, coolest thing about them.

Therage

Vyemm Raider
Jesus I forgot how punishingly annoying this shit can be on nes. I somehow still haven't mastered combat yet so either I miss the final attack on a Mob, or I put too many dudes on that mob wasting a hit. Also always feel like I just can't spend magic unless I'm deep into a dungeon sucks.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Siliconemelons

Playing the PSP version it felt...easy, the main game that is-- I havent gone to the bonuses yet.

I remeber on NES having to be at least ~60ish to tackle the final castle - I think I was 45ish and attack attack thor zeus'ed my way to Chaos.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Playing the PSP version it felt...easy, the main game that is-- I havent gone to the bonuses yet.

I remeber on NES having to be at least ~60ish to tackle the final castle - I think I was 45ish and attack attack thor zeus'ed my way to Chaos.

You remember having to be at least 10 or more levels higher than the level cap huh?

• 1Worf

Siliconemelons

must have heh

I was like...what..6? watching (and helping, buy potions) my brother play - as I said earlier I never played MYSELF thought it all - so that is why I am happy to do so this run through.

didn't know the level cap was 50 lol

then I guess 45 is where I should be lol