December Holiday Festivus Retro GOTM - - Final Fantasy

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Siliconemelons

Welcome to the festivus celebration of Final Fantasy

Everyone put up their chosen poll for the festivus season, be it aluminum for its high str to wt ratio (we must min/max in RPGS!), or other materials!

Now get to playing your chosen version of the original Final Fantasy, released on DECEMBER 18th of 1987, over 30 years ago!

Final Fantasy (video game) - Wikipedia

Now, keeping with the festivus seasons you may air your grievances! Getting your hate out, leaves room for more love!

Feats of Strength, no, we cant all be together this festivus and enduldge in nude oil Greek geek wrestling- but take up a Final Fantasy I challenge, such as ALL WHITE MAGES (white power!) or ALL BLACK MAGES (bro fist) or all Thief mode!

Play a difficulty or other modded version if you already have done a OG play-though.

In the sharing spirit, TAG a fellow forum pal to invite them to join us as we all play....

FINAL FANTASY!

FF1_USA_boxart.jpg

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Siliconemelons

Tag - Vanessa Vanessa - come join in this forum tradition, and no I don't mean the nude Greek oil wrestling (or do I? hurmmm!?)

*pours* @tanooba you are remembered - hopefully for the good, such as your insane dedication to retro gaming (why couldn't you just leave the politic thread!!)

@a_skeleton_03 - c'mon big daddy, play with us.

Bubbles Bubbles - its made in japan, like most of your gifs (mmmmmmm...mmmmboobies) so, c'mon!

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Post I made a few weeks ago about FF1 versions:

Janx said:
Does the remaster auto switch targets if something dies? Wiffing attacks in FF1 NES could be brutal.

Yes, all versions past the original NES version fixed that.

Not asked for, but BTW and IMO -- the PS1 version of Final Fantasy (in the Final Fantasy Origins collection alongside FF2) is the best version. It retains the original magic system and difficulty, has a wonderfully recreated orchestral soundtrack (recorded alongside the FF9 soundtrack I believe), a great retranslation, and pretty good added FMV sequences.

The only thing it lacks compared to later versions is the bonus post-game dungeons. If you want the bonus content, best version becomes the PSP release.

Both are obviously best experienced in 2018 via PC emulator. Particularly the PSX version improves on emulator, load times on OG hardware are atrocious.

-------

If you play the OG NES version, a bugfix patch is recommended. The GBA version is pretty good but is just about the easiest of all the versions.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Got my brother a retropie setup for xmas. In the process of loading it up. Fucker better enjoy it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

One of my earliest gaming memories was being my brothers potion buying bitch in FF1 - I would sit there and smash the buy button until "you cannot carry anymore"

So a little of me is sad inside anytime I play a game (and now, this is every game lol) "how many of X do you want to buy"

• 2Worf

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Think i've now put more time into the PSP version of this than I did into RDR2. Just finished up the water shrine, one more to go.

• 2Like

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
One of my earliest gaming memories was being my brothers potion buying bitch in FF1 - I would sit there and smash the buy button until "you cannot carry anymore"

So a little of me is sad inside anytime I play a game (and now, this is every game lol) "how many of X do you want to buy"

NES Advantage controller with a heavy TV remote sat on the button set to rapid fire. =)

• 2Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
i haven't started my playthrough yet. already did it once this year (on NES) but i want to play along with you guys. i always end up going Warrior / Thief / WHM / BLM... should probably try something different this time, but you end up losing out on so many good items if you do anything different.

really should do a different team tho. probably throw in a Red Mage for the first time.

i'll be playing the PlayStation 1 version this time through. never finished it on PSX before, only NES and GBA.

Siliconemelons

War Thief BLM WHM is always my go to - I loved the thief as a kid because NINJA MO FUAKRUS!

My brother preferred a red mage to swap in for thief or a blkbelt - I never did like playing the black belt, but when he goes master, its insane.

Could do all "melee" , Warrior, RedMage, Thief and BlackBelt - that's "easy" mode as the red mage is there, some toss in another warrior for lulz

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Siliconemelons Siliconemelons should we establish some sort of loose "schedule" to try to keep us all on the same page for discussion purposes? Reddit play-alongs tend to have a milestone for each week.

say, get the first crystal by next Monday or some such?

Siliconemelons

Sure sounds good.

Light your first orb / crystal by the end of the week is the milestone.

Next week, as paths diverge - aim to class change and or 2nd orb

3rd week, 2nd and 3rd OR 3rd and 4th orbs depending on how you want to do things.

The ring in Christmas by finishing 4th if not done and then ----> GOING TO THE PAST WITH THE POWER OF THE RESTORED ORBS OF LIGHT! GO FORTH WARRIORS OF LIGHT!

• 1Like

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
I'm down; gonna take influence from the Egyptian flag and go with all mages... Red, White, & Black trio (dead thief on the side).

255px-Flag_of_Egypt.svg.png

So... defeat Lich by Sunday? Npnp

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
well, i really WANTED to play the PSX version, but i'm having one hell of a time getting a PSX emulator to work... any good ones out there besides ePSXe, PSXR, and Menanfen?