Demon’s Souls Remake (PS5)

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Only 1 kill per NG, but 1 kill will get you out of pure black character and world tendency

Lul, with PBWT and PBCT, Satsuki just one-shotted me every time. So I'd duck and dodge and hit him when I could...and he'd just eventually heal. One time I got him to like his fifth full heal. I guess in this game enemy phantoms don't have limited heals like in other From games. Tried doing a Clever Rat Ring strategy and while it worked a lot better, it got too tedious running in circles with Makoto equipped to get my HP down to 30% and activate the ring. I would have just let him damage me, but every hit was a one-shot so it doesn't matter. Then I tried just getting really good at parry/riposting him, but it takes 3 in a row to win and I was only able to get 2 in a row on my best attempt (90% of the time I don't even get the first one off, he attacks FAST). Read online that Poison Cloud blocks NPC healing, so I did that....nope, he just heals to full endlessly.

After about an hour and a half of losing to this guy, I realized it would probably be less trouble to just go through the rest of the game gimped by character tendency, so I'm just gonna do that.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Lul, with PBWT and PBCT, Satsuki just one-shotted me every time. So I'd duck and dodge and hit him when I could...and he'd just eventually heal. One time I got him to like his fifth full heal. I guess in this game enemy phantoms don't have limited heals like in other From games. Tried doing a Clever Rat Ring strategy and while it worked a lot better, it got too tedious running in circles with Makoto equipped to get my HP down to 30% and activate the ring. I would have just let him damage me, but every hit was a one-shot so it doesn't matter. Then I tried just getting really good at parry/riposting him, but it takes 3 in a row to win and I was only able to get 2 in a row on my best attempt (90% of the time I don't even get the first one off, he attacks FAST). Read online that Poison Cloud blocks NPC healing, so I did that....nope, he just heals to full endlessly.

After about an hour and a half of losing to this guy, I realized it would probably be less trouble to just go through the rest of the game gimped by character tendency, so I'm just gonna do that.

I had a friend duel me twice to get the last two black phantom kills for my PWCT. Was having the same issues. Got my Ally Ring, now to kill some npcs and get Foe Ring and the plat.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

Satsuki's the last I'd try that on, he's too fast + bum rushing you as soon as you load in is horseshit. I take it you already killed Miralda?

Otherwise, Scirvir in 3-1 is pretty cheeseable

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Graverobber Ring helps with Satsuki rushing you. Just remember when you're cheesing them, don't use poison, bleed, etc. Make sure you're landing the final blow with an attack or direct spell, or you get fucked out of the white CT hit. Happened to me a TON.

Alternatively, summon people for duels and kill them.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I had a friend duel me twice to get the last two black phantom kills for my PWCT. Was having the same issues. Got my Ally Ring, now to kill some npcs and get Foe Ring and the plat.

That's an idea, I think I did that when I got the initial plat.

Satsuki's the last I'd try that on, he's too fast + bum rushing you as soon as you load in is horseshit. I take it you already killed Miralda?

Miralda fell off a cliff both times I fought her. (Reset the game save to revert World 1 afterwards). I'm back to having all worlds in PW, gonna have to go the invasion route.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
That's an idea, I think I did that when I got the initial plat.

Miralda fell off a cliff both times I fought her. (Reset the game save to revert World 1 afterwards). I'm back to having all worlds in PW, gonna have to go the invasion route.

As long as you've gotten what you need from PWWT, you can tank it again without issues. This means possibly farming Ephemeral Eye stones though, which is annoying.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I hate that they put multiplayer trophies in. Game seems dead, I can’t manage to invade OR join as a blue.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I hate that they put multiplayer trophies in. Game seems dead, I can’t manage to invade OR join as a blue.

Yeah, multiplayer trophies are ass, just ask Jirard The Completionist. He always has problems with those when revisiting old games. They can lock you out of plats and it's bullshit. If DeS is this bad, imagine how bad ten year old games are. I'm glad I got the plat done in week 1.

Bioshock 2 has a bunch of online trophies, so when I platinumed that trilogy in 2013, I had to find like 6-8 people online to boost with in team-based battles. Took like 20 hours over a weekend of boosting to get that done. I'd never go to those lengths now, think 2013 was probably the last year I was THAT dedicated to finishing things.

One cool thing about the PS4 Bioshock trilogy re-release is that they removed all the online multiplayer trophies. This is the only reason I platinumed them:

20220715_232826.jpg

Oh yeah, that Fallout 4 at 90% pisses me off. Stupid DLC trophies taking away my 100%.

nu_11

i only have the ps3 original. man... looks like bluepoint messed up the design and atmosphere in the remake

• 2Picard
  • 1Moron
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 3 users

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
It was a good remake and that dude is just being picky. A true Souls fan would appreciate both for what they are. The remake is exactly what any of us practical people would know it was: a refurnished classic made to look incredible for a next gen platform.

It plays great and looks great, which is something most other remakes will never get.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Remake was fantastic. I played the original on PS3 again the month before I got the remake and I don’t really prefer one over the other but I guess I’d lean toward the remake.

The frame rate you get in the swamp on the OG isn’t “atmosphere” lmao.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Have played both. Remake is awesome.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
DeS is one of those rare games where both the original and remake are worth playing, neither is "definitive" or obsoletes the other. I think the PS3 version does have better atmosphere and better music. I remember that game transporting me in a way few can. The remake on the other hand looks flat-out incredible and plays a bit better as well. They're different enough that I'd just recommend both. If someone's gonna go through the Souls series in order or something it can't hurt to start with the PS3 version and end with the PS5 version.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
i only have the ps3 original. man... looks like bluepoint messed up the design and atmosphere in the remake

Shitty retarded take.

All of it was brand new the first time you played it, so of course the "atmosphere" isn't going to feel as powerful and fresh 14 years later after 4 spiritual successors and an entire genre being based off of it.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Shitty retarded take.

All of it was brand new the first time you played it, so of course the "atmosphere" isn't going to feel as powerful and fresh 14 years later after 4 spiritual successors and an entire genre being based off of it.

While that's true, I myself played Demon's Souls after all the other From games (BB, Souls 2, Souls 1, then the Demons), and DeS Remake was the next one I played after that. So I don't have any nostalgia goggles for the PS3 version and actually played it at a time when it was pretty antiquated.

While Remake is better in most regards, PS3 version does have a pervasive ambient creepy feeling to it that very few games manage to pull off.

Didn't watch the video so I don't know what else it said. I wouldn't bash Remake at all personally, I'd recommend them both. Unless someone's TV is 65 inches or bigger, in which case PS3 games are gonna probably look like junk.

Wait, did we seriously bump this thread to post a video about how the game sucks?

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
That dude is a Souls purist and his takes are generally A+; I haven't played the DeS remake but could tell that he was being extremely nit-picky in that video when it came out. I haven't watched it again, but he may even say up front that he is being extremely nit-picky because he says that in other salaciously titled videos. He has them about both new Legend of Zelda games and even one about Elden Ring where he goes to the absolute fringe of things he doesn't like, all while contending that they are still great games. He is a defender of the "no difficulty slider" in Souls games so I thought he would be a FoH hero.