Demon’s Souls Remake (PS5)

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I used to think this game was the hardest out of the series, but in playing the remake this is actually the easiest Souls game. I'm sure since it was my first Souls game that is why I previously had that opinion, but not anymore.

I will say I forgot how most of the bosses worked especially Dragon God. It took me like 10 attempts to beat him. Flamelurker took me about six attempts, but everyone else I one or two shotted. I expect to finish off my first playthrough tonight. I just need to finish off world 1.

It's funny how the easiest world (World 2) is the one with the hardest bosses. Sort of. DG is easy once you know the puzzle, and Armor Spider is only difficult for beginners. Flamelurker however gave me the most trouble of any boss even on the latest run.

Edit: Also, World 4 and 5 are the worlds I consider to be the hardest, and their bosses are some of the easier ones in the game. Especially 4-1 and 5-1 bosses.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Anyone know offhand if there's a way to see which NG cycle your game is on?

Cause I'm going to replay this soon and my file is at the beginning of a game which is perfect, but I don't know which cycle it is.

I know I got the platinum right before I stopped playing, if that helps figure this out.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You'd be on ng+2 if you save scummed for the spell/miracle trophies, ng+3 if you did it all legit.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
You'd be on ng+2 if you save scummed for the spell/miracle trophies, ng+3 if you did it all legit.

TBH I can't remember. I probably took the short route if at all possible though. I'd say 70% chance it's NG+2. Just gotta figure out if I'd have a better time running that with a beefed up character, or running NG from scratch.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
TBH I can't remember. I probably took the short route if at all possible though. I'd say 70% chance it's NG+2. Just gotta figure out if I'd have a better time running that with a beefed up character, or running NG from scratch.
Can probably tell if you save scummed by checking the times when you got those two trophies. If they're within minutes of each other you had to have cheesed it, if they're like a whole playthrough apart you probably didn't.

Edit: Can also check the quantity of any items that are limited to a single drop per playthrough, like the ring from Astraea that you can't miss.

Also, the difference between ng+2 and ng+3 is pretty negligible.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Can probably tell if you save scummed by checking the times when you got those two trophies. If they're within minutes of each other you had to have cheesed it, if they're like a whole playthrough apart you probably didn't.

Edit: Can also check the quantity of any items that are limited to a single drop per playthrough, like the ring from Astraea that you can't miss.

Also, the difference between ng+2 and ng+3 is pretty negligible.

Looks like I have 2 of a bunch of boss souls and 1 of some others.

The spells and miracles trophies are 8 minutes apart which tells me I scummed.

So I'm guessing I'm on NG+2. Right at the beginning, in Nexus, with only 1-1 unlocked.

This is weird though. The "save and exit" screen says I'm at SL 130, 43 hours, and..."Games Completed: 0"

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Playing NG++ and I'm getting absolutely trucked by everything. 50 Vitality and I get one-shotted pretty regularly, especially by bosses. If I'm lucky bosses will only take off 90% instead of 100%. It's nuts.

Any suggestions on how to mitigate this? Just beef up Vitality more? At level 140 it takes ages to level.

I managed to beat Worlds 1 and 4 but it was a pain in the ass, especially 4-2 where the green laser shades one-shotted me no matter how topped-off my health was. Still looking forward to the rest, but not as much as I should be. This playthrough is actually hurting my super-high opinion of the game a bit.

• 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Playing NG++ and I'm getting absolutely trucked by everything. 50 Vitality and I get one-shotted pretty regularly, especially by bosses. If I'm lucky bosses will only take off 90% instead of 100%. It's nuts.

Any suggestions on how to mitigate this? Just beef up Vitality more? At level 140 it takes ages to level.

I managed to beat Worlds 1 and 4 but it was a pain in the ass, especially 4-2 where the green laser shades one-shotted me no matter how topped-off my health was. Still looking forward to the rest, but not as much as I should be. This playthrough is actually hurting my super-high opinion of the game a bit.

Im running into the same problem, I may have to clean up the last couple of trophies in a fresh NG 😕

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

You're not PB are you?

Found that ramps up the difficulty way the fuck more then i ever remember

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Im running into the same problem, I may have to clean up the last couple of trophies in a fresh NG 😕

What trophies do you have left?

You're not PB are you?

Found that ramps up the difficulty way the fuck more then i ever remember

Yeah, my character does have the pure black icon. I forgot to mention that in the post. I kept all the worlds in PW or neutral so as not to F myself over. You really do not want worlds in PB because the difficulty goes through the roof.

Never paid much attention to the personal icon. So PB ramps it up, huh?

IIRC you can reset that by doing an invasion, or something like that?

And what causes PB character tendency in the first place?

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
What trophies do you have left?

Yeah, my character does have the pure black icon. I forgot to mention that in the post. I kept all the worlds in PW or neutral so as not to F myself over. You really do not want worlds in PB because the difficulty goes through the roof.

Never paid much attention to the personal icon. So PB ramps it up, huh?

IIRC you can reset that by doing an invasion, or something like that?

And what causes PB character tendency in the first place?

Foe Ring and Ally Ring for Ring trophy, that’s about it beyond some quick stuff to get the last spell from Yuria. Hopefully I can do both of those rings fairly quickly.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Pure Black Character Tendency is pretty awful, I gotta say. I was hoping to kill a few invaders to reverse it, but nobody is playing. I assume I have this because I got the Foe Ring last in the platinum run, and it carries over. Ouch.

Gotta say, it's really messing up my enjoyment of this playthrough. The fact that this'll probably be my last run of the game, at least for a long time, makes it worse.

Bosses can generally two-shot me, with the occasional random one-shot at full health sprinkled in. Usually an AOE when I'm running so I get clipped in the back.

Firestorm one or two-shots bosses, though. So what inevitably happens is, I'll fight a boss normally and have a good fight, then at some point get randomly one-shotted when the boss is at 40% or something. Then I run all the way back and just Firestorm X2 the boss at point-blank, collect souls, go to next stage.

It all feels so unbalanced and cheesy. I guess I'll switch from melee (using Soulbrandt) to sorcery when I fight bosses, out of necessity. Any recommended sorcery spells for range? I'm using Soul Ray, which is good but does very little damage. The lack of Crystal Soul Spear or Homing Crystal Soulmass in this game feels very apparent. I'd like something between Soul Ray and Firestorm, that is effective but not total cheese.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Pure Black Character Tendency is pretty awful, I gotta say. I was hoping to kill a few invaders to reverse it, but nobody is playing. I assume I have this because I got the Foe Ring last in the platinum run, and it carries over. Ouch.

Gotta say, it's really messing up my enjoyment of this playthrough. The fact that this'll probably be my last run of the game, at least for a long time, makes it worse.

Bosses can generally two-shot me, with the occasional random one-shot at full health sprinkled in. Usually an AOE when I'm running so I get clipped in the back.

Firestorm one or two-shots bosses, though. So what inevitably happens is, I'll fight a boss normally and have a good fight, then at some point get randomly one-shotted when the boss is at 40% or something. Then I run all the way back and just Firestorm X2 the boss at point-blank, collect souls, go to next stage.

It all feels so unbalanced and cheesy. I guess I'll switch from melee (using Soulbrandt) to sorcery when I fight bosses, out of necessity. Any recommended sorcery spells for range? I'm using Soul Ray, which is good but does very little damage. The lack of Crystal Soul Spear or Homing Crystal Soulmass in this game feels very apparent. I'd like something between Soul Ray and Firestorm, that is effective but not total cheese.

Funny you mention this, I’m having a similar issue. What level are you? I’m 131 and need a couple of black phantom kills worth of white char tendency to finish the Ally Ring quest.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

The black NPC invaders that show up in PBWT should raise your character tendency

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Funny you mention this, I’m having a similar issue. What level are you? I’m 131 and need a couple of black phantom kills worth of white char tendency to finish the Ally Ring quest.

145 or so IIRC.

The black NPC invaders that show up in PBWT should raise your character tendency

I kept every world specifically out of PBWT. They're all either neutral or PW. I could blow a few Ephemeral Eye stones (have about 15) dying in one of the neutral ones to make black phantoms spawn. What's a good world to do this? Preferably 1, 2, or 4 since I beat those. Don't want to do this in an un-beaten world since it'd put me back at square one. I'm thinking World 4 has that one black phantom right at the beginning, but IDK what else.

Any idea how many kills it'd take to get from PB to neutral character tendency?

Would be cool to get this straightened out before I go to World 3 and 5 since I remember them being huge hassles even without the PB nerf.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
145 or so IIRC.

I kept every world specifically out of PBWT. They're all either neutral or PW. I could blow a few Ephemeral Eye stones (have about 15) dying in one of the neutral ones to make black phantoms spawn. What's a good world to do this? Preferably 1, 2, or 4 since I beat those. Don't want to do this in an un-beaten world since it'd put me back at square one. I'm thinking World 4 has that one black phantom right at the beginning, but IDK what else.

Any idea how many kills it'd take to get from PB to neutral character tendency?

Would be cool to get this straightened out before I go to World 3 and 5 since I remember them being huge hassles even without the PB nerf.

Executioner Miranda is right at the beginning of 1-1. When you first start out you make an immediate left and go down some stairs and follow the hill up.

When you go through the door to the building she's hiding around the corner on the left like a cunt

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Executioner Miranda is right at the beginning of 1-1. When you first start out you make an immediate left and go down some stairs and follow the hill up.

When you go through the door to the building she's hiding around the corner on the left like a cunt

Cool. I don't spose there's any way to respawn these phantoms?

I can turn World 1 and 4 to dark with the stones I have and then beat Miranda and Sasuki, but IDK if that'll be enough. Also 1-4 might be a little tougher but whatever, I usually sprint through there anyway.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Cool. I don't spose there's any way to respawn these phantoms?

I can turn World 1 and 4 to dark with the stones I have and then beat Miranda and Sasuki, but IDK if that'll be enough. Also 1-4 might be a little tougher but whatever, I usually sprint through there anyway.

Only 1 kill per NG, but 1 kill will get you out of pure black character and world tendency

• 1Like