Demon’s Souls Remake (PS5)

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
That dude is a Souls purist and his takes are generally A+; I haven't played the DeS remake but could tell that he was being extremely nit-picky in that video when it came out. I haven't watched it again, but he may even say up front that he is being extremely nit-picky because he says that in other salaciously titled videos. He has them about both new Legend of Zelda games and even one about Elden Ring where he goes to the absolute fringe of things he doesn't like, all while contending that they are still great games. He is a defender of the "no difficulty slider" in Souls games so I thought he would be a FoH hero.

Just a quick tangent. The other day I explained to someone (who is afraid to try a Souls game, or something) why Elden Ring doesn't need a difficulty slider / easy mode and would actually be diminished by one.

A) It has a built-in slider of sorts with all of the tools available to the player. Overlevel, use summons, use spells, etc, all kinds of adjustments that one can make to make the game easier.

B) Making the game easier is on you, not on some arbitrary setting, so it's less like you're gimping it and more like you're just finding a winning strategy.

C) Making the game keel over and die for the player would basically ruin it, since the drama and intensity are out the window if nothing is a threat, not to mention the very lesson of these games (to perservere) would get lost.

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
i only have the ps3 original. man... looks like bluepoint messed up the design and atmosphere in the remake

Sounds like someone who just wants to be contrarian to get clicks and views. This is the age we live in unfortunately.

Original DS was epic because there was nothing out there like it. It's like playing EQ MMO for the first time, it's mind-blowing. You can never put the genie back in the bottle so of course you won't get those same sense of awe after the first time, just like how WoW was good but not nearly as memorable for me as EQ, and how all the DS's that came after were great, but still not the sense of wonder and excitement as original DS, although ER comes close.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Sounds like someone who just wants to be contrarian to get clicks and views. This is the age we live in unfortunately.

Original DS was epic because there was nothing out there like it. It's like playing EQ MMO for the first time, it's mind-blowing. You can never put the genie back in the bottle so of course you won't get those same sense of awe after the first time, just like how WoW was good but not nearly as memorable for me as EQ, and how all the DS's that came after were great, but still not the sense of wonder and excitement as original DS, although ER comes close.

Spot on. Which is why Pantheon will be a bust even if it releases. People will log in remembering the glory days of EQ for all of 5 seconds and realize standing in a goblin camp for hours on end isn't it anymore, even though it was back then, but mainly because of the social community interdependence and it was the awe of an open world MMORPG in 1st person.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Spot on. Which is why Pantheon will be a bust even if it releases. People will log in remembering the glory days of EQ for all of 5 seconds and realize standing in a goblin camp for hours on end isn't it anymore, even though it was back then, but mainly because of the social community interdependence and it was the awe of an open world MMORPG in 1st person.

Yep. I wish we could recapture that but it isn't gonna happen. Pantheon's launch rush should be fun though.

Only way to recapture that "magic" is to find new things that are, well, new and wow us. Which is rarer as we get more jaded and so on. Elden Ring kinda accomplished that for a lot of people though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user