Demon’s Souls Remake (PS5)

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
So this is a remake more like FF7 then a remaster like dark souls being on PS4?

Like FF7 we’ll get 1/3rd of the game every 2 years at £60 a pop! Gaming is doing juuuuust fine, nothing to see here

• 2Rustled
  • 2Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Definitely don't agree with those people. I already feel Boletaria Reborn (Vibrant) is a vast improvement over the original game's look on PS3, so this looks great to me. Plus the single biggest visual upgrade besides texture res anyone can make to DeS is to remove almost all of the DoF (which that mod also does).

Anyone trying to play the game now on RPCS3, I edited my previous post with a list of must-have mods for playing on PC. Also, there's instructions on the RPCS3 wiki for how to set it up for 60fps (just don't try to go over 60 or it will break the game). There's even an additional setting for 21:9 or 32:9, but I haven't tried that yet.

Meh, this seemed like it was up and running fine with those mods, then I died and now it is infinite load screen and RPCS3 just infinitely loads on

sceNp TODO: sceNpManagerGetNpId(npId=*0xd02689f4)

Tried deleting cache. Will try some other things and maybe just see if it happens modless and add them one at a time or something.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
World tendency was such a cool game design. Was kind of bummed they didn’t continue in the rest of the series.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
World tendency was such a cool game design. Was kind of bummed they didn’t continue in the rest of the series.
As someone that never played Demons Souls, world tendency sounds overly punishing to bad players (enemies are more difficult with each death) and too little player agency and transparency to be well understood. Bloodborne’s insight mechanic is a better iteration on the idea imo.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
As someone that never played Demons Souls, world tendency sounds overly punishing to bad players (enemies are more difficult with each death) and too little player agency and transparency to be well understood. Bloodborne’s insight mechanic is a better iteration on the idea imo.
It could have certainly been done better but if you were getting stuck in an area it allowed you to grind out souls a little faster on mobs so you could muscle through the more difficult spots. I think it just also just forced you to be a little smarter and react differently as you pushed through. It wasn’t that overtly challenging.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Meh, this seemed like it was up and running fine with those mods, then I died and now it is infinite load screen and RPCS3 just infinitely loads on

sceNp TODO: sceNpManagerGetNpId(npId=*0xd02689f4)

Tried deleting cache. Will try some other things and maybe just see if it happens modless and add them one at a time or something.
Best bet is to try to ask for help on the RPCS3 subreddit. You'll need a log to show them and whatever you do, don't mention where you got the iso if you didn't rip it yourself (lie and say you did if anyone asks).

Another thing, when you aren't trying to capture a log for help from the devs, you should follow the instructions on the wiki in the section "Reducing log spam". That message you have there is nothing important, but since the game constantly tries to connect to the world server even when you're offline it grows the log file to massive size and will eventually crash the game if you play it for a long time.

The "getting harder with each death" thing really isn't much of an issue. Unless you actually want to shift to pure black, you just suicide in the Nexus after each boss kill (because killing the boss reverts you back to human form, and you want to always be in soul form so that deaths inside a world don't shift to black). If you don't do this, good luck ever hitting pure white unless you're so good at the game you can complete entire sections never dying. The real downside is that soul form means your hp is always locked at 50% (75% if you give up one of your ring slots).

The bigger issue is that when you are playing the game online, the world server is pretty much always set to a neutral gray, and as you get further towards white or black it pulls you back to gray and fucks up everything.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Best bet is to try to ask for help on the RPCS3 subreddit. You'll need a log to show them and whatever you do, don't mention where you got the iso if you didn't rip it yourself (lie and say you did if anyone asks).

Another thing, when you aren't trying to capture a log for help from the devs, you should follow the instructions on the wiki in the section "Reducing log spam". That message you have there is nothing important, but since the game constantly tries to connect to the world server even when you're offline it grows the log file to massive size and will eventually crash the game if you play it for a long time.

The "getting harder with each death" thing really isn't much of an issue. Unless you actually want to shift to pure black, you just suicide in the Nexus after each boss kill (because killing the boss reverts you back to human form, and you want to always be in soul form so that deaths inside a world don't shift to black). If you don't do this, good luck ever hitting pure white unless you're so good at the game you can complete entire sections never dying. The real downside is that soul form means your hp is always locked at 50% (75% if you give up one of your ring slots).

The bigger issue is that when you are playing the game online, the world server is pretty much always set to a neutral gray, and as you get further towards white or black it pulls you back to gray and fucks up everything.

Yeah, I'm debating posting on there. It "seems" to be related to the Boletaria Reborn pack because I can swap /param/ folders and it loads just fine going between areas with the default, but as soon as I use the Boletaria one it does the hang thing. And I'm not 100% on how to decode the log file to figure out where the issue is. Nothing a bottle of Titos won't help with tonight though. Going to see if it does the same thing with the High Res Font and/or Patches mods too.

Actually, looking at the Mod posts it seems this is the thing to try for now:

13 May 2020, 8:45PM
Was also having the same problem as this guy and flameshadow22. Infinite loading screen randomly, after death, when transporting through arch stones etc. would seem more stable if I took gray line remove off, but even by itself Boletaria reborn would still suffer from this issue for me. Switching to build 9350 fixed everything seemingly and the game has ran basically perfectly since with little to no problem. Thanks for the fix and thanks for the mods.

Still getting that Titos though...

Vorph

Sounds like running an older build might solve the problem too. I will probably just have to hope I don't run into it at all; the recommended older build is from Jan 08 2020 and I'm not sure if they had cleared up the Ryzen 3600/Radeon FX 5700 XT issues by that point. Will suck if I have to give up Boletaria Reborn, I really like what it does.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Sounds like running an older build might solve the problem too. I will probably just have to hope I don't run into it at all; the recommended older build is from Jan 08 2020 and I'm not sure if they had cleared up the Ryzen 3600/Radeon FX 5700 XT issues by that point. Will suck if I have to give up Boletaria Reborn, I really like what it does.

Yeah 0.0.8-9350 has been perfectly stable with all mods in use. I do need to do that Log fix though. At one point I dropped from 60 fps to about 31 and it slowly crept back up. Otherwise it has been a locked 60 fps with the resolution scale at 1440p.

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
I had an issue at first where the game was running at double speed. Was funny when the slowest speed I could walk was faster than normal sprinting

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I really enjoyed the world tendency system..

Item weights can go get fucked though please...

That was my only complaint about Demon's Souls... and well Dragon God fight but I think every person was disappointed about that, rofl.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
My dick is ready.

I'm so stoked about Bloodborne on PC, though. It was my favorite PS4 game, but the 30fps just kills it for me now. I can't play it.

I platinumed this shit and will still buy and play through on the PC.

giphy.gif

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Been a long time since I played Demon Souls but am really enjoying it on the RPCS3 (thanks for linking those guides). Forgot how many bullshit mobs were at the start of most of the X-1 levels though. Rolly polly skeletons, bell chiming stun locking octopus assholes, plague rats, flying manta rays, and fat men pyros off the top of my head after clearing all the first stages. Other thing I forgot is how low the mob density is after 1-1. You can go a long time without seeing another mob after clearing a couple. Playing easy mode with the royal class and magic and after exploring a cleared area I'm usually back to full MP thanks to the ring it starts you with. Will probably restart as a 2hander melee since you can get a really good one off the weird bird demon boss early on.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Anyone who hasn't played BBS + Moon Uchi should definitely try it sometime. By far my favorite DeS build.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Been a long time since I played Demon Souls but am really enjoying it on the RPCS3 (thanks for linking those guides). Forgot how many bullshit mobs were at the start of most of the X-1 levels though. Rolly polly skeletons, bell chiming stun locking octopus assholes, plague rats, flying manta rays, and fat men pyros off the top of my head after clearing all the first stages. Other thing I forgot is how low the mob density is after 1-1. You can go a long time without seeing another mob after clearing a couple. Playing easy mode with the royal class and magic and after exploring a cleared area I'm usually back to full MP thanks to the ring it starts you with. Will probably restart as a 2hander melee since you can get a really good one off the weird bird demon boss early on.

I had never played it until this last week and think it is my favorite Souls game. The simplicity of everything is very straightforward (weight thing is frustrating though). The other souls games added interesting things but this is just no bonfire, just you and the level. I’m also Royal and it feels nice being able to actually do a magic build that works. But really want to go back and do a melee build when PS5 comes out. So far through 1, 2, and part of 3. The Flamelurker I died on while drunk maybe 30 times, last attempt we were both at one hit left and I tried to hide behind a pillar and heal up but accidentally (drunk) hit Soul Arrow right as he was leaping to fire assplode me. He died the second he hit the ground and I threw the controller and yelled NOT TODAY SATAN!!

Here ends my livejournal

• 1Like

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I found that DeS levels and basic enemies were less forgiving than later Souls entries, but the bosses are brain dead easy if you’ve done DS1-3 and Bloodborne. Even Flamelurker was a chump compared to some bosses like Father Gascoigne and Manus.

I hope they can still retain the feel of DeS while making the boss battle more difficult.

Chapell

Trakanon Raider

Manipulate world tendency wasn't that hard once you understand it.
Add lot's of depth, and replay value to the game imo.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I just finished DeS last night and echo the boss comment. The only difficult one was probably Maneater for... reasons. I one shot the whole Astrea level and was half confused about the Leechmonger boss because he just sat there. That'll be my one go until the PS5 version comes out, don't want to exhaust my patience with the game and not replay it. But really do want to try out other builds. Also I played through it almost completely linearly with the exception of doing Dragon God to get the Archdemon soul to progress Boletaria.