Demon’s Souls Remake (PS5)

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Manipulate world tendency wasn't that hard once you understand it.
Add lot's of depth, and replay value to the game imo.
How's it add depth though really? Once you figure out read the wiki about how it works, you do the same thing every playthrough because there's only one correct way to manage WT. Play offline, suicide in Nexus after all bosses until you hit PWWT and grab all the event stuff, then intentionally cause it to drop to PBWT and grab all that event stuff too. You can't really do it any other way if you want to hit both ends of the spectrum. Being online makes it all take far longer too, possibly even ruining it entirely for a whole run.

The only time I thought it added replay value was when Atlus was running a PBWT event so you'd go online just long enough to grab the executioner's garb and other stuff in that locked area during your first trip to 1-1, then go back offline so almost your entire run would be pegged at PWWT. You just go online again for a few minutes to grab the PBWT stuff in other worlds, but the server didn't have its retarded 'gravity' effect during holidays so you'd be right back to PWWT as soon as you went offline again.

Szlia

I played the game a while back, but if I remember it correctly, the sorta lame part about the world tendency is that, playing the game blind, the tendency had basically no effect. Noteworthy things only happen at an extreme or the other, which require very specific ways of playing, so it's all becomes a bit.... mechanical rather than organic. I would shelf this under "False good idea" as I am not sure there is a way to implement it in a way that makes it an actual good idea. Interesting attempt though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
digital foundry - tl;dr demon souls runs rock steady 60 fps at 1440p and looks great

digital deluxe contents

EjGXbrtX0AIJDi-.jpg:large

• 1Like

Vorph

Guess you gotta wait for PS6 to play in 4K.
Anyone who thought otherwise about 4K/60 in games with this graphic level on next gen console hardware is straight up retarded. As is anyone who actually chooses to play the game at 4K/30 rather than 1440p/60.

Besides, 1440p is high enough that hardware scaling or checkerboarding will cover up any obvious flaws and if you're playing it on a 65"+ TV at normal viewing distance you won't see a difference in motion anyway.

Looks great, still not paying $70 for a remake.
The digital deluxe edition is an extra $20 too. Apparently we're to believe a bunch of shitty cheater-DLC equipment is worth ~30% of the cost of the game itself.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Looks great, still not paying $70 for a remake.
Eh, looks like a pretty nice remake(like not just shitty upscaling and higher res textures) of a fairly old game(so I barely remember anything about it making it a somewhat "new" experience) so I wouldn't mind paying full price on PC, but not getting a PS5 anytime soon so I'll grab it on sale/when they port it. It sucks 70$ seems like it'll be the normal next gen though, but then again I don't buy too many games new, only maybe a couple a year or so, rest is just shit on deep sale from a few years ago that I haven't played yet.

Interesting they're not having a 4k 60FPS "performance" mode though, that's really fucked considering the console should be able to run it at 60 by turning off a couple of the superfluous visual improvements I'm sure.

Vorph

That's not how "performance" modes work now though, and I highly doubt that will change in the next gen either. Quality mode is 4K30, performance mode is 1080p60. All that's going to change is that quality mode will continue to be 4K30, and performance mode will move to 1440p60 (with some dynamic resolution when needed) in most cases. Overall image quality will improve for both modes, though maybe they will have to tone down certain new features like raytracing for the performance modes.

The annoying part of the modes is that you still have to check a DF video to find out which you should be using. Like Nioh 2 is fantastic when locked to 60, and it looks like Demon's Souls will be the same, but then you have other games like, say, the recent Marvel's Avengers which has a "performance" mode that practically never hits 60 fps and usually fluctuates between 35 and 45 fps making it nearly unplayable. Or FFXV, which has several modes to choose from, but they all have major flaws. Hopefully that sort of thing goes away with next gen hardware being so much more powerful and also not bottlenecked so badly by their ancient CPUs.

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Eh, looks like a pretty nice remake(like not just shitty upscaling and higher res textures) of a fairly old game(so I barely remember anything about it making it a somewhat "new" experience) so I wouldn't mind paying full price on PC, but not getting a PS5 anytime soon so I'll grab it on sale/when they port it. It sucks 70$ seems like it'll be the normal next gen though, but then again I don't buy too many games new, only maybe a couple a year or so, rest is just shit on deep sale from a few years ago that I haven't played yet.

Interesting they're not having a 4k 60FPS "performance" mode though, that's really fucked considering the console should be able to run it at 60 by turning off a couple of the superfluous visual improvements I'm sure.
It’s definitely not a standard remaster or anything, I get that. But it’s still a remake of a game that isn’t drastically changing how the game works or anything.

$50 for the Spiderman DLC is much more egregious. This seems to be the part of the console cycle where Sony tries to cash in on the consumer good will created in the previous console generation by milking them for every cent they can.

joz123

Potato del Grande
It’s definitely not a standard remaster or anything, I get that. But it’s still a remake of a game that isn’t drastically changing how the game works or anything.

$50 for the Spiderman DLC is much more egregious.
This game is more for the people that never got it the first time really. Or you just have money and why the hell not to buying it again and having it to show off.

• 1Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 users