Depression

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
I'm confused. Are you telling me to kill myself in the Depression thread? I have a medical condition and I'm looking for advice to deal with it.

This isn't a place to troll faggot.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm confused. Are you telling me to kill myself in the Depression thread? I have a medical condition and I'm looking for advice to deal with it.

This isn't a place to troll faggot.

Sorry I meant that was my plan B, I wasn't advocating for it.

If you have a formal diagnosis look into getting a prescription for Lamictal, has had a lot of good results treating Bi-Polar Disorder.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
Alright, thanks.

And don't kill yourself. Try something new every week, and do that thing every day. Odds are strong you'll find something you enjoy more than shit posting on FoH.

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
You can try NAC while you wait for Lamictal. It's an OTC antioxidant, has a similar effect to Lamictal, but it works in half an hour for me, bad mood is gone, I feel better than normal, good actually. It didn't seem to keep having the same effect after a couple of weeks of sustained use though, so I use it as needed now along with the daily dose of Lamictal. I haven't been taking it lately as I've been fairly stable.

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
Lamotrigine is a good place to start for bipolar disorder if you aren't manic. If you have bipolar disorder, you will always need to take medication (despite what Lumi tells you), so don't stop taking it without letting your doc know. I have many patients with bipolar disorder who live normal lives and I see them every 6 months for a quick check up and refills, no reason to think you can't live a normal, full life.

P.S. avoid drugs and alcohol. People with bipolar disorder are much more likely to develop a substance use disorder compared to the general population.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Lamotrigine is a good place to start for bipolar disorder if you aren't manic. If you have bipolar disorder, you will always need to take medication (despite what Lumi tells you), so don't stop taking it without letting your doc know. I have many patients with bipolar disorder who live normal lives and I see them every 6 months for a quick check up and refills, no reason to think you can't live a normal, full life.

P.S. avoid drugs and alcohol. People with bipolar disorder are much more likely to develop a substance use disorder compared to the general population.

Bipolar doesn't require medication unless it's from a medical problem or drugs. Or if it is causing immediate harm. If someone is willing to develop their ability to recognize mood swings, and how to manage them internally they can self manage entirely without medication. That said, medication is probably a lot easier for most people. The down side is that every medication has a list of side effects as long as your arm.

For me personally, the manic episodes tend to be the most destructive period, I piss money away like crazy. I just had my first one in almost 15 years last month due to the stress of not being able to back out of selling my condo. It wasn't fun, but I was able to recenter myself through meditation.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
TFW during a conversation about your health you unthinkingly blurt out to your mother that the only reason you haven't committed suicide is because of the grief it would cause the family.

Awkwaaaaaard

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Leon

<Silver Donator>
take that one on the chin. I have no issue with the term Native American.

This. My best friend is bi polar with manic episodes. Hadn't had one in 20 years because for 20 years he followed strict medication and strayed away from booze and drugs. He smokes (cigs) and probably won't be able to quit due to the fact it's 10 times harder for him to, but whatever.

A couple of years back he decided to make some changes. Started working out, eating clean etc. Dropped some weight, started feeling real good, decided (without telling anyone) to ease down on his meds cause it was the best he ever felts ....bad move.

He started to sleep less and less (big sign right there). I noticed he was acting weird and was a bit more hyper than usual but I knew he had some shit going on at home so I didn't make much of it.....

He had a manic episode at work that ended up with him going into complete hallucination. Did a couple weeks in psych ward and doctors were concerned if there is a next time he might not be able to come back.

So the take away from this.... Meditation and natural methods? Fuck that shit. Stick to the meds on this one, and listen to your doc. Any changes or things that don't feel right, bring it up and don't wait.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
This. My best friend is bi polar with manic episodes. Hadn't had one in 20 years because for 20 years he followed strict medication and strayed away from booze and drugs. He smokes (cigs) and probably won't be able to quit due to the fact it's 10 times harder for him to, but whatever.

A couple of years back he decided to make some changes. Started working out, eating clean etc. Dropped some weight, started feeling real good, decided (without telling anyone) to ease down on his meds cause it was the best he ever felts ....bad move.

He started to sleep less and less (big sign right there). I noticed he was acting weird and was a bit more hyper than usual but I knew he had some shit going on at home so I didn't make much of it.....

He had a manic episode at work that ended up with him going into complete hallucination. Did a couple weeks in psych ward and doctors were concerned if there is a next time he might not be able to come back.

So the take away from this.... Meditation and natural methods? Fuck that shit. Stick to the meds on this one, and listen to your doc. Any changes or things that don't feel right, bring it up and don't wait.

Your logical analysis is failing in a few big areas, once you go on meds you need to work with a doctor to get off them properly. That's one of those little things in that arm's length list of issues. Personally, I just found a way that worked for me. I offer it as an option because I know that at least in one instance it did, and still does, work. Will it work for everyone? Probably not. Will it only ever work the one time? Also probably not. Bipolar is a state that has multiple different pathologies. It's not always due to chemical imbalances or other medical causes. Some people are just shit at proper self regulation.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
If you can "control" it, you aren't really manic.

Anything can be controlled. That's one of the many things the meds do, or they wouldn't get prescribed. My version is entirely reactionary. I tend to strive for emotional balance. When I see it is absent I rein in everything, reasses, an start back up again.

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
Okay, whatever you think works for you; I am not going to argue with you. However, there is no scientific evidence supporting your assertions and following your advice could actively harm people seeking help in this thread, so please be mindful of that fact.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Picard

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Okay, whatever you think works for you; I am not going to argue with you. However, there is no scientific evidence supporting your assertions and following your advice could actively harm people seeking help in this thread, so please be mindful of that fact.

Your dismissiveness is noted. If you are unaware of the thousands of years of documentation and process around meditation, that's fine, it's mostly irrelevant as meditation is a personal thing. It's something I would advise for everyone though, regardless of whether they have any abnormal psychiatric conditions or not. The toolbox to self monitoring and behavioral/emotional control it opens is truly life altering.

• 2Like

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
If you can "control" it, you aren't really manic.

My "manic" episodes are 24-48 hours being unable to sleep due to racing thoughts. I piss money away, so I've learned to lock up my wallet when the insomnia sets in.

This happens twice a month. The rest of the time I settle into a crippling depression that I've learned to enjoy. The suicidal thoughts have been getting stronger the last few months, which is why I'm seeking treatment.

I've been living with this shit for probably 15 years undiagnosed. It's my normal.