Depression

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
Saw the doc today. I'm starting a treatment of Lamictal.

I sure hope this works.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
It takes about a month to get to a therapeutic dose and you might need to increase the dose before giving up on it. Don't quit if it doesn't help out the gate.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Six days in, this medication put me in a manic phase within 24 hours of the first dose.

It's a coincidence. Lamictal does not trigger manic episodes in bipolar patients, that's specifically why bipolar disorder is treated with anti-psychotics or anti-convulsants instead of anti-depressants.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Started taking Zoloft.

Not sure how I feel about it. It hasn't kicked in yet. Only been three days.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Started taking Zoloft.

Not sure how I feel about it. It hasn't kicked in yet. Only been three days.
Zoloft (for me at least) will work and make you not sad. For me it just made everything just there though.

I was prescribed it for headaches as an alternative medicine from the usual. I didn't care about anything is why I stopped taking it because it didn't fix the headaches.

I definitely wasn't sad but I wasn't quite happy from it. I probably needed more time.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
SSRIs scare me. When they were first approved by the FDA no one had studied their long term effects. They were only indicated for short term use for acute depression. The general public that was prescribed them were basically guinea pigs as far as the long term effects we're concerned. And now, 30 years later, what's come out about the long term effects don't look pretty.

So yeah I'm thinking maybe I'll just take it for the next few months while I'm getting chemo. IDK. I guess odds are I won't even get to see what the long term effects are like, but eh, that sucks to think about.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
My best friend keeps overdosing. I think this is the third time. First go at it he should have been dead. He survived but made all his physical problems worse. Most recent was last night. He texted me and another friend of ours around midnight. Just saying he loved us and we are the best. So I was concerned from that. Sure enough his wife texts later that he's OD and in the hospital. Stable but out.

I keep making it about myself... am I a shitty friend for not helping more, what should I be doing, all of that. It just sucks.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
My best friend keeps overdosing. I think this is the third time. First go at it he should have been dead. He survived but made all his physical problems worse. Most recent was last night. He texted me and another friend of ours around midnight. Just saying he loved us and we are the best. So I was concerned from that. Sure enough his wife texts later that he's OD and in the hospital. Stable but out.

I keep making it about myself... am I a shitty friend for not helping more, what should I be doing, all of that. It just sucks.

Aside from kicking him in the groin and telling him to knock that shit off you can't do anything other than testifying for whichever loved one puts them in medical lockup for a weekend or gets them declared permanently unfit so they can manage his affairs. If he's seeing a shrink already, stay on him to take his meds or do whatever exercises he is supposed to be doing. Otherwise just be ready for the worst, since it'll happen sooner or later. Even if he's just doing it for attention, he'll get it right eventually. Thankfully he is either not serious, or incompetent so far. A sharp knife (to the jugular) or a gun (aim for the heart, if it goes wrong you don't want to be Assface IRL) would be the tools if he was going to do the job right.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, that's more serious. I wasn't making light. Or at least didn't mean to.

It might sound dickish, hope not and I'm not a doctor either so bear that in mind. It sounds more like malaise.

I'm not sure a pill will help. But hey, I hope one will. Which one you'll have to find a doctor whose judgement you trust.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
I don't know. I could keep going on and on about my story. Some people in my life that I really respect say I'm too hard on myself.
Yeah, only conscientious people get that sort of depression. Assholes don't give things a second thought.

Sounds like you've had a rough few years and need to give yourself some time to recover. A change in location can be good as long as you won't be there alone.

• 2Like

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Perhaps continue the circle of life. Get a SO, adopt/have a kid. See and live the joy that is caring for your SO and your offspring, watching them grow, bring meaning to your life, and especially them, in term healing you. It sure took away the thinking / ruminations for me post a parent's death. Fuck cancer. Fuckit with 10 foot torchlight.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Edit: tldr not feeling great, maybe need to move back to my home city.

Last edited:

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>

Last edited:
  • 2Solidarity

Chris

Potato del Grande
I have the money, but fuck I hate spending it when I don't have income (other than investment). As they say, you don't keep money by spending it.... Starting to think the money thing is moot when weighing it against my mental health though.
Yeah look at it as taking a short-medium term hit to your finances to make yourself feel better, that'll increase your productivity/happiness and therefore your earning potential long term.

I did two moves to deal with my depression.

The first was to the other side of the country to train as a teacher, the actual course and the friends I made there was great and helped a lot. I then got a job in that city and was isolated as the new friends moved away to their own jobs and my family/old friends were miles away. So it failed but I learned employable skills.

The second was to the nearest city to my hometown, I didn't really make many new friends that time but I had my old friends and family close by so I had more support. I also met my wife through online dating, which was the thing that got rid of 95% of my depression.

I've just moved to another city with my wife, I work from home now and the lack of routine and relatively low pay is starting to get to me and the rumination is coming back.

With rumination you gotta dig deep and find the root cause of it, then it'll go away. For me it was being an incel, getting into a relationship fixed it. Now it's health and money worries but it's nowere near as bad as it was.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Yeah look at it as taking a short-medium term hit to your finances to make yourself feel better, that'll increase your productivity/happiness and therefore your earning potential long term.

I did two moves to deal with my depression.

The first was to the other side of the country to train as a teacher, the actual course and the friends I made there was great and helped a lot. I then got a job in that city and was isolated as the new friends moved away to their own jobs and my family/old friends were miles away. So it failed but I learned employable skills.

The second was to the nearest city to my hometown, I didn't really make many new friends that time but I had my old friends and family close by so I had more support. I also met my wife through online dating, which was the thing that got rid of 95% of my depression.

I've just moved to another city with my wife, I work from home now and the lack of routine and relatively low pay is starting to get to me and the rumination is coming back.

With rumination you gotta dig deep and find the root cause of it, then it'll go away. For me it was being an incel, getting into a relationship fixed it. Now it's health and money worries but it's nowere near as bad as it was.
Thanks for the insight Chris. Yeah I think your right, short term investment for the long term.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Guess I'm starting off again for the oddest reason. Spent about a week with family and my wife. Not a problem. Except family decided now that I'm married was to point out the things I apparently missed along the way. Stuff that was super obvious to them that I just ignored. A lot of stuff I had stored away, that I really could have done without people telling my wife. Nothing I did that was bad at all. I had forgot apparently 99% of my life between that age of 15 and 25.

I tried to get back on the amitriptyline. It makes me "feel" better. But even after 2 days it really messes with my vision.