Depression

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Yup. breathing is where I always start.
Inspired Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

That's funny, dork - love you, man :)

Mmm. I'm no psych. I deal in propofol and tylenol, needles and scalpels. And izomectin (haha). Not what you need atm. I'm fairly certain we have members working in psych on foh who are way more qualified.

FWIW: Do the counseling. Work on your physical self and relations. Good advice in here. This quack would add: Rule out the basics via broad blood works, ecg, physical exam. Get d-vitamin lvs > 50 mmol/l for starters. Rule out hormone axis problems, tsh (t3/4) and pth (calcium). I'm not sure if you had CC, RC or not? Did you do chemo/radiation? Depression and C go hand in hand often. God forbid it's out of remission or meta, I assume you're having checkups? Talk to your GP. If all the basic + bad are ruled out, and the symptoms are stil present, I'd not be that scared of, say, sertralin - an okay drug for depression and anxiety. Sure it has side effects, usually dose dependant like most drugs. Takes some weeks to work-work, but it does work for most. Also takes time to ween, sure. Cad and oblio are somewhat right, nobody knows for sure beyond the above. To a quack it's a tradeoff, better to live with less depression/anxiety, and in turn accept possible side effects from a drug that is known to at least alleviate the former. There is no miracle cure for a true depression afaik. But it doesn't have to be 100mph either. Whatever works or helps, you know? Godspeed, we're rooting for you, truely.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Inspired Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

That's funny, dork - love you, man :)

Mmm. I'm no psych. I deal in propofol and tylenol, needles and scalpels. And izomectin (haha). Not what you need atm. I'm fairly certain we have members working in psych on foh who are way more qualified.

FWIW: Do the counseling. Work on your physical self and relations. Good advice in here. This quack would add: Rule out the basics via broad blood works, ecg, physical exam. Get d-vitamin lvs > 50 mmol/l for starters. Rule out hormone axis problems, tsh (t3/4) and pth (calcium). I'm not sure if you had CC, RC or not? Did you do chemo/radiation? Depression and C go hand in hand often. God forbid it's out of remission or meta, I assume you're having checkups? Talk to your GP. If all the basic + bad are ruled out, and the symptoms are stil present, I'd not be that scared of, say, sertralin - an okay drug for depression and anxiety. Sure it has side effects, usually dose dependant like most drugs. Takes some weeks to work-work, but it does work for most. Also takes time to ween, sure. Cad and oblio are somewhat right, nobody knows for sure beyond the above. To a quack it's a tradeoff, better to live with less depression/anxiety, and in turn accept possible side effects from a drug that is known to at least alleviate the former. There is no miracle cure for a true depression afaik. But it doesn't have to be 100mph either. Whatever works or helps, you know? Godspeed, we're rooting for you, truely.

I did chemo/radiation, and my therapist think it's related. I'm out of treatment for a while now, but it still could be doing nasty stuff to me. Thanks for your post, always good to get a doctor's recommendation.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
On the one hand I'd be cautious about listening to the medical industry about the causes of depression - they don't have a fucking clue.

On the other hand counseling is great and is a possible source of help. Be wary of them juicing you up on SSRI's.

Anyone worth their salt would need a few months at least and usually a few specialized screenings before recommending any sort of drugs. If you don't get that, see someone else immediately.

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Suffering guys. No reason. Just depressed. And super high anxiety. I have no reason to feel these things. It feels idiotic to me that I'm feeling this, and that just gets me more down. This shit is fucking awful.

My kids are all doing really well. My wife is thriving in her job and at home. I've got as much work as I want, but no need to take anything on if I don't want to. Yet here I am. Depressed and anxious. I usually have all my shit together, but I'm struggling just now.

Anyone who doesn't struggle with this does not have any idea what it's like. It's impossible to explain, because it's not at all logical.

Sorry you're currently going through all that man. Glad you're talking to someone. Like Dr. Izo said, there's no real cure for these things, only things we can do to help alleviate the triggers for those feelings which can be harder than some may expect, more so when you think there's no reason you feel this way but still do. Yeah, your brain may be lacking some things chemical-wise, but ensuring there are no underlying root causes that either get you to those thoughts in the first place or spiral you down into them further once you realize they are there.

You are certainly no idiot for feeling that way, thinking you are doesn't help and you're aware of that from what you said. You're a human being and this shit happens man. Accepting that is key, however I can tell you that until I'm blue in the face (or my hands cramp from typing), but that’s something that has to be a realization that comes from you. I'd give more advice, but honestly, that seems like a good starting point in terms of emotional stability.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Sorry you're currently going through all that man. Glad you're talking to someone. Like Dr. Izo said, there's no real cure for these things, only things we can do to help alleviate the triggers for those feelings which can be harder than some may expect, more so when you think there's no reason you feel this way but still do. Yeah, your brain may be lacking some things chemical-wise, but ensuring there are no underlying root causes that either get you to those thoughts in the first place or spiral you down into them further once you realize they are there. You are certainly no idiot for feeling that way, thinking you are doesn't help and you're aware of that from what you said. You're a human being, this shit happens man. Accepting that is key, but I can tell you that until I'm blue in the face (or my hands cramp from typing), it has to be a realization that comes from you. I'd given more advice, but honestly, that seems like a good starting point in terms of emotional stability.

I agree with everything you said. Putting it into practice is the hard part. But I'm getting there.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Man, I'm having a helluva time now. For the unaware, my best friend died in his sleep in April, Hodgkin's, lung cancer, that whole thing. Then a month later, the guy who would be my best remaining friend walked into Afton state park and offed himself, there's a thread about that. Then I had to make the choice to put my German shepherd of 13 years down a month ago, and this is not going great. I feel like a fucking failure.

Backstory on the dog - my divorce was rough. Right before shit blew up with my ex wife, my dog was playing and tore her ACL. I didn't know that at the time, high energy high drive dogs tend to limp from time to time when they play too hard, then they're good a day or 3 later, nbd. Well, she wasn't, and it was pretty obvious that something needed to be done, but before I could do that, I was forcibly removed from my house and served with an OFP because my ex felt scared and that's literally all it takes to ruin your fucking life. She stopped working, stopped contributing to the bills, and I was unable to go home for 5 months and despite making 40% of the household income, was now responsible for 100% of the household bills and the legal fees to deal with the OFP and the divorce. I worked 900 hours of overtime that year, and another 100 hours of double time to keep my house, get my kids back and stabilize my fucking life again after that absolute disaster. After I was finally able to get back to my dog, I was faced with the unfortunate fact that when your dog tears their ACL, they need it fixed right away or it is unrepairable due to scar tissue build up. Zel was now permanently crippled because she was in the care of a useless sack of shit who didnt even turn on the fucking stove for 5 months for the kids while I was gone.

The dog eventually developed severe arthritis in her hips as a result of her gait being fucked up due to dragging her leg, which lead to her falling trying to get up the stairs, which lead to a lot of abdominal wall problems and issues controlling her bladder and bowels, and requiring massive amounts of pain medication to even function throughout a day. I was left with little to no choice when faced with the prospect of her having to endure another winter while being largely unable to walk and handle her own faculties. Basically, the whole chain of events stems from one singular incident and I wasn't able to take care of it. The dog never let me down, and I fucking failed her.

Now, I know I wasn't legally allowed to be home. I know I wasn't legally allowed to do anything, and I know I was literally working every hour work would let me in order to pay the bills and keep a roof over the kid's head, but I am having a really hard time living with this reality. The reality is, had I not taken a stand and told that cunt her behavior was unacceptable and needed to change, that argument wouldn't have happened, the cops wouldn't have come thru the front door and I wouldn't have been away from my dog for 5 months. I failed Zelda, I failed Andrew because I didn't even think he was depressed, and I failed Johnny because I knew he wasnt looking good and I didn't ask more questions before he passed. Maybe this is just part of the grief process. Maybe this is the shit you go thru, but this is a gigantic fucking pile of grief all stacked up, and it fucking sucks. It's really hard to close my eyes and sleep at night (as I type this, I have to be up in 5 hours, and last night was less).

Things were getting better after the dog for awhile. But now things seem to be snowballing back up and everything has just come crashing down all at once. I don't really have the drive to do much anymore. I've got projects, but I should probably not be using power tools when my head isn't in the game. Seems like a recipe for missing fingers. I load up video games and just sit there staring at it because I can't be bothered to give enough of a shit to play them. I just end up scrolling thru YouTube to waste time until it's time to be responsible again. This fucking blows.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Man, I'm having a helluva time now. For the unaware, my best friend died in his sleep in April, Hodgkin's, lung cancer, that whole thing. Then a month later, the guy who would be my best remaining friend walked into Afton state park and offed himself, there's a thread about that. Then I had to make the choice to put my German shepherd of 13 years down a month ago, and this is not going great. I feel like a fucking failure.

Backstory on the dog - my divorce was rough. Right before shit blew up with my ex wife, my dog was playing and tore her ACL. I didn't know that at the time, high energy high drive dogs tend to limp from time to time when they play too hard, then they're good a day or 3 later, nbd. Well, she wasn't, and it was pretty obvious that something needed to be done, but before I could do that, I was forcibly removed from my house and served with an OFP because my ex felt scared and that's literally all it takes to ruin your fucking life. She stopped working, stopped contributing to the bills, and I was unable to go home for 5 months and despite making 40% of the household income, was now responsible for 100% of the household bills and the legal fees to deal with the OFP and the divorce. I worked 900 hours of overtime that year, and another 100 hours of double time to keep my house, get my kids back and stabilize my fucking life again after that absolute disaster. After I was finally able to get back to my dog, I was faced with the unfortunate fact that when your dog tears their ACL, they need it fixed right away or it is unrepairable due to scar tissue build up. Zel was now permanently crippled because she was in the care of a useless sack of shit who didnt even turn on the fucking stove for 5 months for the kids while I was gone.

The dog eventually developed severe arthritis in her hips as a result of her gait being fucked up due to dragging her leg, which lead to her falling trying to get up the stairs, which lead to a lot of abdominal wall problems and issues controlling her bladder and bowels, and requiring massive amounts of pain medication to even function throughout a day. I was left with little to no choice when faced with the prospect of her having to endure another winter while being largely unable to walk and handle her own faculties. Basically, the whole chain of events stems from one singular incident and I wasn't able to take care of it. The dog never let me down, and I fucking failed her.

Now, I know I wasn't legally allowed to be home. I know I wasn't legally allowed to do anything, and I know I was literally working every hour work would let me in order to pay the bills and keep a roof over the kid's head, but I am having a really hard time living with this reality. The reality is, had I not taken a stand and told that cunt her behavior was unacceptable and needed to change, that argument wouldn't have happened, the cops wouldn't have come thru the front door and I wouldn't have been away from my dog for 5 months. I failed Zelda, I failed Andrew because I didn't even think he was depressed, and I failed Johnny because I knew he wasnt looking good and I didn't ask more questions before he passed. Maybe this is just part of the grief process. Maybe this is the shit you go thru, but this is a gigantic fucking pile of grief all stacked up, and it fucking sucks. It's really hard to close my eyes and sleep at night (as I type this, I have to be up in 5 hours, and last night was less).

Things were getting better after the dog for awhile. But now things seem to be snowballing back up and everything has just come crashing down all at once. I don't really have the drive to do much anymore. I've got projects, but I should probably not be using power tools when my head isn't in the game. Seems like a recipe for missing fingers. I load up video games and just sit there staring at it because I can't be bothered to give enough of a shit to play them. I just end up scrolling thru YouTube to waste time until it's time to be responsible again. This fucking blows.
You should prioritize staying the hell off of youtube unless it's constructive stuff like how to do X or whatever. Zipping around from video to video is too much stimulation and will contribute to irregular moods. As for feeling like a failure, well life fucked you pretty hard and you weathered the storm better than most would. Take pride in surviving and in what you've built back up and accept that some shit was beyond your control to save. Yeah maybe if you'd thrown away your self-respect and just endured your ex's behavior then maybe you would have gotten your dog to the vet when she needed it. Maybe if you'd thrown away your self-respect then your balls would have gone away with it, you never get divorced, and now your children have zero positive role models for parents instead of one.

Andrew was a selfish piece of shit and you didn't fail him, he failed you and everyone else who cared about him. Suicide is the most profoundly selfish act a person can commit and they deserve contempt, not pity. Get drunk, go to his grave and cuss him out so foully that you'd make a pirate blush, piss on his headstone, then go back to your life with the people who actually care about you. Maybe have your fiancee drive you if you actually get drunk. If you're actually dealing with repressed anger instead of lingering grief then some catharsis would do you good.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Man, I wish anyone had graves. One of the things that really shocked me was the first time I heard about someone being cremated was when I was a teenager. Everyone I know had been buried. Now no one is. Johnny cremated and dumped in his favorite lake. I don't remember what his parents did with Andrew, but there wasn't much left but bone by the time they found him anyway. I know he got cremated, just not sure where his ashes ended up.

My mom used to go to the cemetery once in a blue moon "just to talk to Grandpa" when I was little. I think about that often. I think that shit might actually help, but I am not afforded that luxury since no one has a grave anymore it seems. I spend a lot of time wondering what's better...if your heirs would prefer to have a stone to go sit by, an actual monument to your life, or whether a pile or ash is good enough. I think I prefer the former, but I don't know what they want. I should probably figure that out.

That and I don't have the dog either. She was a birthday gift to the ex wife, and I figured she should have her. One less thing that ties us together, might as well do the right thing. I told the kids to absolutely make sure that if anything happens to their mom that Zel makes it back to me though, because I'm kinda starting to regret that decision. What a great fucking dog. Been going to shelters lately and just not finding anything suitable. Probably gonna need a new puppy, but fuck potty training in the winter.

I spend most of my time on YouTube watching chess and dog training videos, so it's not a waste. The intention is to at least learn some shit, but it's just all I have the motivation for. Which is weird...I haven't watched TV or movies for about 10 years now, sitting in front of a screen all day ain't exactly my jam, that's how I know there's some bigger problem.

The good news about all of this is I'm not chemically dependent or inclined, so getting drunk ain't gonna happen. Just fucking sucks shit. I know it ain't supposed to get better overnight, but I think I'm moving backwards thru the pile here. Any one of those things I know I could handle, but losing 3 best friends in the span of 6 months is just nonsense. And it's unrelenting too - Andrew used to work with me, so when I go to work, I don't really wanna be there. And then i go home, and every time I put the key in the door, I expect Zel to be sitting on the stairs waiting for me, and she never is. So now I don't wanna be there either.

At least when I got divorced, I could to to work and kinda forget about it. Work helped a lot thru that, gave me something to focus on, and put me in a place where I wasn't swallowed up by the situation. This is something completely different. It's just nonstop overbearing "everyone you love is dead."

Fuck.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Man, I wish anyone had graves. One of the things that really shocked me was the first time I heard about someone being cremated was when I was a teenager. Everyone I know had been buried. Now no one is. Johnny cremated and dumped in his favorite lake. I don't remember what his parents did with Andrew, but there wasn't much left but bone by the time they found him anyway. I know he got cremated, just not sure where his ashes ended up.

My mom used to go to the cemetery once in a blue moon "just to talk to Grandpa" when I was little. I think about that often. I think that shit might actually help, but I am not afforded that luxury since no one has a grave anymore it seems. I spend a lot of time wondering what's better...if your heirs would prefer to have a stone to go sit by, an actual monument to your life, or whether a pile or ash is good enough. I think I prefer the former, but I don't know what they want. I should probably figure that out.

That and I don't have the dog either. She was a birthday gift to the ex wife, and I figured she should have her. One less thing that ties us together, might as well do the right thing. I told the kids to absolutely make sure that if anything happens to their mom that Zel makes it back to me though, because I'm kinda starting to regret that decision. What a great fucking dog. Been going to shelters lately and just not finding anything suitable. Probably gonna need a new puppy, but fuck potty training in the winter.

I spend most of my time on YouTube watching chess and dog training videos, so it's not a waste. The intention is to at least learn some shit, but it's just all I have the motivation for. Which is weird...I haven't watched TV or movies for about 10 years now, sitting in front of a screen all day ain't exactly my jam, that's how I know there's some bigger problem.

The good news about all of this is I'm not chemically dependent or inclined, so getting drunk ain't gonna happen. Just fucking sucks shit. I know it ain't supposed to get better overnight, but I think I'm moving backwards thru the pile here. Any one of those things I know I could handle, but losing 3 best friends in the span of 6 months is just nonsense. And it's unrelenting too - Andrew used to work with me, so when I go to work, I don't really wanna be there. And then i go home, and every time I put the key in the door, I expect Zel to be sitting on the stairs waiting for me, and she never is. So now I don't wanna be there either.

At least when I got divorced, I could to to work and kinda forget about it. Work helped a lot thru that, gave me something to focus on, and put me in a place where I wasn't swallowed up by the situation. This is something completely different. It's just nonstop overbearing "everyone you love is dead."

Fuck.
No wise words, but man, go get the puppy!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

chthonic-anemos

bitchute.com/video/EvyOjOORbg5l/

Fuck.
You can put together a small shrine or monument for the cremated. Just need a picture of them or belonging of theirs and a candle or light; nothing fancy.

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord

Fuck.
If you need to talk to your memory of them, just do it. That's an exercise in talking to yourself, ultimately, and can be done anywhere. Your gaming buddy? Go down to the DND table and unload what's weighing you down. Your dog, go to where she like to walk/play and same thing.

Reassess how you are looking at it. Not everyone you love is dead. And the ones that are only still exist because you are there to remember them.

KDow

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you need to talk to your memory of them, just do it. That's an exercise in talking to yourself, ultimately, and can be done anywhere. Your gaming buddy? Go down to the DND table and unload what's weighing you down. Your dog, go to where she like to walk/play and same thing.

Reassess how you are looking at it. Not everyone you love is dead. And the ones that are only still exist because you are there to remember them.

This. I talk to my wife all the time. I have it facing the sunrise. Every night I put my hand on her urn and talk about the kids or the day. But if I need to i talk to her during the day too. It helps.

I'm not religious, I don't believe she's hearing me but it helps just the same. I kind of think of it like I'm leaving a voicemail that will never get checked.

20231221_125827.jpg

• 4Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
This. I talk to my wife all the time. I have it facing the sunrise. Every night I put my hand on her urn and talk about the kids or the day. But if I need to i talk to her during the day too. It helps.

I'm not religious, I don't believe she's hearing me but it helps just the same. I kind of think of it like I'm leaving a voicemail that will never get checked.
I hate to be that guy because it's a lovely little scene but that's way too much personal info about your family to be posting on the internet.

• 4Like

KDow

Blackwing Lair Raider
I hate to be that guy because it's a lovely little scene but that's way too much personal info about your family to be posting on the internet.
If you think this is bad, don't look at the entire thread about her dying...

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
If you think this is bad, don't look at the entire thread about her dying...
I followed that thread from the beginning, I don't recall pictures of your children along with your last name and their mothers DOB and feast day.

KDow

Blackwing Lair Raider
I followed that thread from the beginning, I don't recall pictures of your children along with your last name and their mothers DOB and feast day.

Yeah there's pics of the kids with the dog, pics of her, I'm not terribly bugged out by her DOB or date of her passing, anyone trying to lift it probably wouldn't lift it from this forum - its obtainable in a lot of different places online already.

I mean her obit had this info (along with where she grew up and her mother's maiden name) and that was published in the largest newspaper in RI and on its website.

I do genuinely appreciate you looking out though.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
anyone trying to lift it probably wouldn't lift it from this forum
I'll let it drop but just to be clear this forum is an utter cesspool, don't be suckered by how carefully moderated the "grown-up" section is.

• 2Truth!
  • 2Like