Depression

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
1g56VyA.jpg

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I don't really get depressed and generally find things to keep my mind entertained. However, I'd lie if I said I didn't get it ever so often where nothing worked and in those cases its pretty bad. To be honest -- what works best for me, is that I go out and drive ~100 miles or so and hang out in a few small towns, and enjoy nature for a day or two. Take my mind off work, plant a tree, relax. I've only done it once while I've been married the last three years and my wife is totally understanding.

There are just times in life where you need to say fuck it and get away from it all and keep things incredibly simple.

W4RH34D_sl

shitlord
I deal with it. I actually never cared for medical science, as they've come up short in a lot of ways over my life. However, when I had my breakdown, I found groups. I got completely addicted to them and now I run my own under a pretty big local organization.
Completely changed my life. I learned that medication isn't by itself an answer, but part of an answer. It really comes to how much you give to your recovery in order for it to give back to you. I know it sounds like nonsense, but generally speaking, the more serious you take it, the better your results will be. People struggle with denial and can live their whole life not knowing and just suffering the whole time. Each step in recovery is massive, because each step is something only a few people will accomplish in their lives. Stopping your medication because you think you're better is the next hurdle. This struggle takes some people years, or the rest of their life to accept as well. Then comes emotional awareness. All that mediation, self help books etc try to convey the message to be aware of the thoughts in your mind but not to attach emotional responses to them. Cognitive behavioral therapy comes next. Reprogramming your mind to remove negative thinking and habits and replace them with what it is you intend for your life.

Easier said than done, but wow, in the 2 years I've been doing this, I feel more evolved. I'm not impervious to life, but atleast the minor bullshit doesn't have the same impact. The biggest test for me personally was a breakup. Instead of completely taking me out for months, it wasn't even a thing to me this time.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
The best way to be, in terms of truth, is actually a mild form of depression:

Depressive Realism - Psychology Today

If so, the concept of depression may-at least in some cases-be turned onto its head and positively redefined as something like 'the healthy suspicion that modern life has no meaning and that modern society is absurd and alienating'. For many mental healthcare experts and professionals, this is the sort of irreligion that calls for anathema. Yet the question of the meaning of life is the most important question that a person can ask, and the realization that life might be lived differently is bound to provoke a depressive reaction, a harsh winter that yet may be followed by a beautiful spring.

As ever, one must be very careful not to confuse our human nature with inadequacy, or the tender shoots of wisdom with mental illness.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Some good advice, some... interesting advice. The only thing I have to add is that it's important to find a therapist that fits you. I've seen several friends/family start therapy and then stop pretty soon and never try again, because they just didn't gel with their guy/gal, for any of several reasons. If the first person you try isn't doing anything for you, get recs and try someone else. If they don't work, try again. DO NOT let this be a reason you don't follow through.

I got super lucky with my dude, especially because the bulk of his experience was in treating PTSD from various sources, which is largely what I suffer from. And if you don't understand, or disagree with what you are hearing, say that. Just like when you purchase any other service, don't be afraid to expect that you get what you are paying for (if that makes sense), and find the right person for the job.

Devlin

Golden Squire
During a very bad episode of depression last year I started taking anti-depressants, personally I don't understand the point of them, I'm miserable because of the things around me are having a negative effect on me, all anti-depressants do is make you give less of a fuck, they solve nothing.

Seeing a therapist does help me, I talk and talk and talk about the things that get me down, something I never really did before, I have different personas for different situations, one for work one for home etc and they're all a defense mechanism so having someone to talk to about everything is nice.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I dunno, we'll see what tomorrow brings.
I'll tell you what it brings. Take this prescription, takedruuuuggggssss, its a great idea, I promise. Come back to talk to me again next month for more expensive meaningless self improvement advice from someone who barely knows you. But make sure to start taking the drugs by then or I'll shame you for not trying hard enough.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I already talked with the doctor over the phone I'll be meeting. We've already talked I about how I wont be taking drugs.

W4RH34D_sl

shitlord
During a very bad episode of depression last year I started taking anti-depressants, personally I don't understand the point of them, I'm miserable because of the things around me are having a negative effect on me, all anti-depressants do is make you give less of a fuck, they solve nothing.

Seeing a therapist does help me, I talk and talk and talk about the things that get me down, something I never really did before, I have different personas for different situations, one for work one for home etc and they're all a defense mechanism so having someone to talk to about everything is nice.
Since this is a gaming forum, I'm not embarrassed to mention some of my ideas. I call antidepressants spiritual armor. It'll take the edge off the things that come with severe depression like agitation and paranoia which are some of the reasons people will isolate when depressed. However, the "armor" will not correct the isolating habit that has formed even though your symptoms may have eased off with the help of the meds. You need the armor, but you also need the "moves". That would be a good daily routine, natural ways to deal with anxiety (walking away or breathing slowly counting to 10 [it fucking works]). You need a good reason to get up in the morning, find it. Try to find activities to do, people to chat with (try to avoid talking about negative things like how miserable you are [the idea is to have positive experiences]).

That's the i'm depressed but I want to be happy game.

I ask a lot of people that come in to group if their problems would be solved if they were somewhere else, like Hawaii. Would you be happy there, or do you think your problems would follow you there? There definitely is such a thing as situational depression, but if you have a chemical imbalance you have to adjust it with something external.

Archangel_sl

shitlord
I'll tell you what it brings. Take this prescription, takedruuuuggggssss, its a great idea, I promise. Come back to talk to me again next month for more expensive meaningless self improvement advice from someone who barely knows you. But make sure to start taking the drugs by then or I'll shame you for not trying hard enough.
Entirely uncalled for, in my opinion. If you personally had a bad experience with finding the correct medicine, that is one thing--express your reservations or dislike in a coherent manner rather than being sarcastic and mocking.

To clarify, fromhttp://http://health.howstuffworks.c...depression.htm

"Depression is a disorder of the brain. Researchers in the area of mood disorders believe that chemicals called neurotransmitters are involved in depression. Nerve impulses cause the release of chemicals from one nerve cell, or neuron, to the next, allowing cells to communicate with one another. Too little or too much of these important neurotransmitters may be released and cause or contribute to depression. Some of the neurotransmitters believed to be linked to depression are serotonin , norepinephrine, and dopamine."

Some people need meds, some don't. Some struggle to find the right type, some get lucky right away, some struggle for years. Above all, depression is a condition deserving of support, not sarcasm. And Tarrant has more than just that on his plate.

Glad you found someone to speak with, Tarrant; I hope the in-person appointment goes well. Will be thinking of you!

a_skeleton_04

<Banned>
The current discussion, is why you need to therapist/doctor shop. If you are the type where once you commit you are loathe to try something else, don't step foot in someone's office until you have had a phone consult with the person. Find out what treatment methodologies they ascribe to. Find out what they are like, etc. I had this happen for my ex, and we went through 5, and ended up seeing one of them for myself later after some rough stuff happened (practical life issues).

My ex? Didn't like anyone of them for various reasons and had we known at the time that say one of them into (as an example) biofeedback and acupuncture when the issue calls for talk therapy things probably aren't gonna work out. Or if the type of talk therapy doesn't work well for someone. I have seen therapists that are more forceful, and opinionated (while still being professional) and others that are gentle, calm and fatherly. Not everyone wants drugs, or can even physically take them for various reasons.

If the therapist doesn't call back or doesn't have time to do a phone screen -- you probably don't want them anyway. It will save a lot of time.

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
American Psychiatric Association recommends therapy or medication or both for depression. A good psychiatric clinician will present options to a patient and be respectful of their wishes. As a clinician, I don't care which option a patient chooses (however, most depressed patients require therapy) as long as it works for them.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Since this is a gaming forum, I'm not embarrassed to mention some of my ideas. I call antidepressants spiritual armor. It'll take the edge off the things that come with severe depression like agitation and paranoia which are some of the reasons people will isolate when depressed. However, the "armor" will not correct the isolating habit that has formed even though your symptoms may have eased off with the help of the meds. You need the armor, but you also need the "moves".
This was my experience with severe depression, the six months of drugs didn't solve anything but it took the edge off so that I could focus on the things I needed to solve some of my problems.

What I'm concerned about now is the lasting damage over six years of undiagnosed untreated depression has done to my personality, I do poorly socially and even worse with women (or I have self esteem low enough to think this is true). If I could somehow have normal friendships and relationships then think that would be the last peice of the puzzle to get rid of the remaining anxiety and occasional depressive episodes.

W4RH34D_sl

shitlord
This was my experience with severe depression, the six months of drugs didn't solve anything but it took the edge off so that I could focus on the things I needed to solve some of my problems.

What I'm concerned about now is the lasting damage over six years of undiagnosed untreated depression has done to my personality, I do poorly socially and even worse with women (or I have self esteem low enough to think this is true). If I could somehow have normal friendships and relationships then think that would be the last peice of the puzzle to get rid of the remaining anxiety and occasional depressive episodes.
Groups really help with this.