Desktop Computers

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Does anyone use lower profile computer speakers? With the triple monitor setup mine either have to sit behind the monitors and are blocked at the corners where the bezel meets, or in front which somewhat obstructs the corners of the monitors.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I have these cheapo Altec Lansing speakers:
20719482-2-440-overview-1.gif

and just turn them to lay on their side underneath my monitors, since the monitors are several inches off of the desk. But I'm in the same boat as you, my dual 28" monitors stretch from one side of the desk to the other, if I sat speakers upright they would block the screen at the edges, and I don't want them behind the monitor either. So sideways they go.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'm happy to report that the 512GB Samsung 850 Pro is as holy-shit-fast as they say. You can't really tell from synthetic benchmarks that it's that much better than say the cheap Kingston HyperX I was using for years beforehand, but when you actually load games and especially when loading levels in games, the difference is pretty massive.

The Samsung Magician software also has some kind of option for driver-level injection of some kind of behind-the-scenes ram-drive caching system, but I've only got 8gb of ram and it can use up to 1gb, so I'm not using it right now, but it can DOUBLE disk access rates.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Those of you who actually get working 5.1 surround sound, are you using onboard sound devices or a dedicated sound card? I never put much effort into it, but I also never got it working.

Silence_sl

shitlord

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
My office computer burnt out today - I dont know what exactly caused it to, but I dont really care because its four years old. Ive been looking for places that build cheaper PC's and they seem to be a dime a dozen. Im looking to spend "around" a thousand dollars on a computer that will be upgradeable for at least a few years. (DDR4 in mind etc.) I found a PC for about 1100 on CyberPower PC that fits about what Im looking for - but I dont know anything about them. I cant build a PC on my own.. at least not anymore. Advice would be greatly appreciated, and if you are really really bored... feel free to get the best bang for buck PC in that price range (I dont need an OS, a mechanical hard drive or any Disc Drives). Thanks in advane. <3

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
It's really helpful if you say what kind of work you do. If it's just general office stuff you can go much cheaper if you already have Hd's/KB/Mouse/OS/Monitor.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Awesome to be using a newer mobo that has a decent sata controller. Installed Windows 7 in 10 minutes.

Just looking out for a good deal on memory now.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Those of you who actually get working 5.1 surround sound, are you using onboard sound devices or a dedicated sound card? I never put much effort into it, but I also never got it working.
5.1 worked fine with my logitech speakers until they died. Using onboard on an x58 sabertooth board.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
5.1 and 7.1 onboard with my asrock extreme 4 no problem at all, dude who owned my house before me put boston speakers in the ceiling of the living room and a for 5.1 and others around the house in different rooms.

Daidraco

Yea, I dont need any peripherals or a secondary hard drive. I am really just looking to see what people thought about Cyberpower PC or if they had better experience with computers built by another company.
smile.png
The computer is basically for Excel and World of Warcraft - but who knows what other MMO Ill play. So like a 750 minimum video.

Jovec

?
Newegg.com - Black November Coupon Blast: Save on SSDs, HDDs, Software, LED-Backlit Monitors More

10% off a lot of the best SSD models, and some other deals.

Also 10% off all RAM, including some stuff that's already on sale.
Newegg raises their prices before sales/coupons. Yesterday, a bare 256GB Evo was $119, now it's $129 not including the 10% off. So, slightly cheaper, but not as much as it would seem.

I still shop there primarily though sinceLee Cheng is a bad ass.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
They retroactively gave me the 10% discount ($36) on the SSD I ordered last week 'because I am an excellent customer.' I guess ordering devices and components for dozens of clients for over a decade has it's perks.

Malakriss

My 780 died abruptly tonight, any recommendations as to whether i should go 970, 980, or something else? Slapped in an old 760 but I run 1440p and will need something a bit stronger for the higher end games.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
A single 970 isn't going to play new games at 1440p on ultra settings at 60+ fps. It's probably going to be comparable to your 780 that just died. So it just depends on if you were happy with the performance of the 780 or if you feel like you need something more already like a 980/290x

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Go with the 980 if you want to do 1440p. It seems like they're readily available in all flavors, but I've been happy with my ASUS 970 so far.