Desktop Computers

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
computer wasn't on in the morning (its 24/7 doing various things), turn it back on, fails at window screen, tried again, same thing. looked under the hood, noticed PS is super hot. Solution, PS fan died, snipped wires soldered on a spare 120 i had in my "box o fans".

sometimes looking under the hood is all you need.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
computer wasn't on in the morning (its 24/7 doing various things), turn it back on, fails at window screen, tried again, same thing. looked under the hood, noticed PS is super hot. Solution, PS fan died, snipped wires soldered on a spare 120 i had in my "box o fans".

sometimes looking under the hood is all you need.
Opening up a power supply is scary. Won't those capacitors fucking kill you if you don't discharge them?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
don't you just unplugg for 5mins and power goes awaY?
You should unplug it then hit the power button a few times until the fan stops twitching briefly each time you hit the button. But if the fan is broke its impossible to tell if the caps are discharged.

Or unplug it for a half hour, apparently. That's new. But lol 5 minutes you're lucky you're not dead.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Well, a reformat/fresh Windows install seems to have fixed my BSOD's. Must have been a driver or something? Anyhow, thanks everyone for the help!

Neg me for not seeing the "Computer Issues" thread directly below this one =/

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Probably could have fixed it with a sysprep from safemode, but reformatting it is the best option.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Skylake is out and I'm recently out of a desktop due to an international move, so time to do a build. Any advice would be welcome.

Particular things I'm questioning:

- Motherboard choice
- RAM, am I getting the right stuff for a Skylake build?
- The case. I know a lot of people feel the Antec 300 is outdated. I don't like cases with doors in the front or plexi sides. I just like clean/black. Is there something newer I ought to be considering.
- I've never bought a separate CPU cooler, so not sure on brands/models
- No idea how much of a PSU I ought to get for a Skylake build

Stuff:

MB:
ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gbs USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

RAM:
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB Intel X99 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-2133C15D-16GVR - Newegg.com

PSU:
?

Case:
Antec Three Hundred Two Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Upgraded 2 x USB 3.0 - Newegg.com

Total:
$1,176.92 + $420 (monitors) + PSU

Any big things I'm missing or should consider?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys may be able to offer.

edit: changed out the MB
Case alternative,

Corsair Carbide 330R

For memory, get at least 2800mhz DDR4 memory otherwise you're losing performance compared to DDR3 on Haswell.

G Skill 2800mhz

For PSUs, I'm completely biased towards Corsair as the last 2 and current 3rd one have yet to let me down. I just got thisRM750ibecause all of the caps are Japanese and they'd doing something fancy with theATX cable. But it is a bit pricey compared to the normal RM or one of their CXs.

As far as the MB goes, I'm getting myself into mITX or mATX so nothing for Skylake is out yet so I couldn't even give you a recommendation either way. I'd be waiting for the Maximus VIII Impact next month myself if I wanted to upgrade from my 3570k.

Also, 1st world problems time. My new case exhausts the CPU air out the side at my monitor/face. So I'm cooking myself while I'm doing things. Time to move my computer to the right side of my desk again.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
For PSUs, I'm completely biased towards Corsair as the last 2 and current 3rd one have yet to let me down. I just got thisRM750ibecause all of the caps are Japanese and they'd doing something fancy with theATX cable. But it is a bit pricey compared to the normal RM or one of their CXs.
Corsair for PSU's is probably the only thing rerolled will agree on.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Seasonic all the way, I'll never buy a PSU from anyone else(assuming nothing major changes with Seasonics quality in the future)

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So my 24" Dell that ran everyday for like 15 years finally died on me. What can I upgrade too to carry on the legacy?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The best thing you can do with a GTX 670 is RMA it, get a 770 for it as a replacement, then put it on craigslist.