Desktop Computers

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Can confirm the 980 is goofy as fuck for DP. I can't actually get my computer to boot if I have my two monitors connected only via DP; neither screen comes on, and it's not even posting or something cause if you ctrl+alt+del it it just reboots instantly. It works 100% fine though if I leave one monitor connected via DP+DVI, then manually change the monitor input from DVI to DP once it's booted to the login screen.

Makes no fucking sense at all to me and I've kind of resigned myself to just live with it until I build something new.
You need to cut power to the displays for 10-15 minutes for some dumbass reason, it should work from then on. You may also need a BIOS update for the video card.

Go to System Information in Nvidia settings, "If the version number is older than 84.04.31.00.00, please contact your board manufacturer for an updated video BIOS update. "

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Got my new 950 gtx 38 minutes ago, it's running now. Most of the time was spent on clearing out the dust of the last three years before proceeding.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Who has an Acer XB270HU and how awesome is it?
i do, it's pretty fucking beautiful. playing through Witcher 3 was great since it combined the monitor's great color presentation with the game's vivid landscapes. feel free to swing by my place and check it out.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I can get the thing for less than 600 dollars from Amazon if I count all the bonuses I get back from my new credit cards.

Other than the price, the only negative is having to adjust/modify/replace my desk somehow to fit it. But I've been wanting to do that for a while. I spend a lot of my downtime trying to design a new desk out of ikea parts.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I'm a loser, I get it.

IKEA sells all their parts individually, so you can just buy whatever you need.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
why not just buy a whole desk? they're not expensive, especially compared to a $700 monitor

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
The Displayport and USB3.0 cables that come with it are stupid short. They can't be any more than 3-4'. Depending on your setup and if you have any others around, you might have to get longer ones. That was kind of a pain in the ass, especially when the one I ordered from Amazon turned out to be defective as well. That was really my only negative experience with it. I thought the high refresh rate was giving me headaches at first, but I think that was lack of sleep or pot withdrawal. Haven't noticed them recently.