Desktop Computers

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I have sli 980 Ti though. =D

Currently on 3770k @ 4.4GHz / 16GB DDR3 @ 2400MHz. It's just an irrational upgrade bug. I haven't gone this long in pretty much ever without an upgrade. I am usually the once a year or two rebuild kind of guy. Hence why I said talk me out of it.
It's not worth it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It's the new Z170 chipset that is alluring. Tons of USB3 ports, M.2 SSD interface, DDR4, etc.
What's the allure of an M.2 SSD for you? I find them pretty shitty for home use.

Tons of USB 3 ports, do you need that?

DDR4 is basically nothing special right now.

I wouldn't upgrade unless money is burning a hole in your pocket.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What's the allure of an M.2 SSD for you? I find them pretty shitty for home use.

Tons of USB 3 ports, do you need that?

M.2 SSD shitty for home use? Have you seen the advertised speeds on some of them? SATA is a massive speed bottleneck of old SSDs.

Samsung announces new 950 Pro SSD, with blazing read/write speeds on tap | ExtremeTech
The 950 Pro's argument for its higher cost lies in stratospheric performance - up to2500MB/s read and 1500MB/s write.
As for USB3, yes I am severely lacking ports on my current Z77 based motherboard.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
I'm probably one of the dumber people here when it comes to upgrading and even I have talked myself out of doing anything this go-around. It took me 6 months but I finally convinced myself not to be a dumbfuck.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I want to upgrade my video card. I see two DVI out or DVI and VGA out are no longer a thing at all? Looked at like 10 different 950 / 960s so far.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I want to upgrade my video card. I see two DVI out or DVI and VGA out are no longer a thing at all? Looked at like 10 different 950 / 960s so far.
Why do you need two DVI?

original.jpg

Jovec

?
Basically. I have DVI-to-HDMI and DVI-to-VGA cables to workaround that when I need to, plus a ton of adapters lying around from all my GPU purchases.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Is there any reason not to just run the newer monitor on HDMI? I think it can do it, I'm too lazy right now to get up and look. Might as well buy a HDMI cable instead of an adapter

It's just funny how quickly the standards have changed back and forth. My previous video card had two DVI out, my current one has 1 DVI, 1 VGA again.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Is there any reason not to just run the newer monitor on HDMI? I think it can do it, I'm too lazy right now to get up and look. Might as well buy a HDMI cable instead of an adapter

It's just funny how quickly the standards have changed back and forth. My previous video card had two DVI out, my current one has 1 DVI, 1 VGA again.
how old is that card? they stopped double DVI a while back once HDMI was more accepted

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This GTX 770 I have sitting in a package next to me has 2x DVI.

This reference 980 I got from Best Buy has 3 DP, 1 HDMI and 1 DVI, which I thought was a weird configuration.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Can confirm the 980 is goofy as fuck for DP. I can't actually get my computer to boot if I have my two monitors connected only via DP; neither screen comes on, and it's not even posting or something cause if you ctrl+alt+del it it just reboots instantly. It works 100% fine though if I leave one monitor connected via DP+DVI, then manually change the monitor input from DVI to DP once it's booted to the login screen.

Makes no fucking sense at all to me and I've kind of resigned myself to just live with it until I build something new.