Desktop Computers

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I highly recommend putting any manufacturer specific stickers/emblems in clear view of anyone who might walk by your PC, so they know what type of gear you are rocking.

Fadaar

That guy
Just slap stickers on it. Lots of stickers.
frown.png

HK sticker from the first gun I bought, EVGA and Corsair from when I originally built it
tongue.png

There's no LED's inside though except the small white ones on the video cards and Corsair logo on the H100i water cooler!

8sPfuWn.jpg

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Jim Keller Leaves AMD

i was actually planning on buying up some AMD stock because i was optimistic that with Keller on hand, AMD was going to be able to make a comeback. needless to say, that plan's been scratched.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Just got done building my new PC. I wanted to go back to a small form factor, so built a NCase M1 m-itx PC. Will be parting out my old system shortly...

4790k (used for 2 months; friend bought a 6700k so sold me this one cheap)
H100i with 2x Noctua F12's set to push
ASUS IMPACT VII mobo
2x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO (raid 0)
1 TB Hitachi 7200rpm laptop drive
GTX 980Ti
2x Noctua P12s on bottom flowing air into video card

All that in a small 12.6 liter case (little bigger than the size of a shoebox; mainly just a tad thicker)...

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Holy fuck this shit smokes. 4.2ghz np with just a hyper 212 and stock ASUS BIOS tweaks. Sure, it was more than the cost of just slapping in a video card, but I really wasn't expecting such a jump in speed. Even fucking Arkham Knight doesn't dip below 60fps anymore. (textures on low of course - still dicked by 2gb of VRAM) No troubleshooting nightmares with DOA parts, thank god. That's a fucking first right there. Isn't it fun when you do a build from ground up with a new chipset and have no spare compatible parts to swap in to test which thing is broke? Gee I was so looking forward to it. Turning the power on the first time almost made me religious.

Sure, the real payoff won't be until 1440p and I solve my VRAM bottleneck. Nvidia is promising too much of a jump to replace the 770 just now. But when BF4 hits 180fps I can't help but pop a boner. I loaded up Witcher 3, and goddamn. That game just shits on everything out there. Pop-in is gone, loading time is a laugh, performance is amazing.

Ironically, I'm mostly playing fucking Destiny now, heh. But hey, I invested there too - XIM4 and shit, gotta get my moneys worth. Switching time between that and Shadow of Mordor GOTY and, of all fucking things, MGS3 on a emu (which I can now max out without speedhacks, rah) so I can catch up to play MGSV.

Biggest annoyance was having to patch the shit out of a fresh win8 before win10 install would go through. I got a lot of Destiny in during that. I never did get the update to work - I finally burned the iso to CD and it went through that way.

Since its such new hardware I'll keep an eye out for bios and MB driver updates. That'll be a bit annoying but I've been through it before. My BIOS supposedly can pull updates from the internet but that shit isn't working. The idea is to see that an update is out, then wait a couple of weeks. That's experience, heh.

/didn't think I'd ever replace that fucking 960

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Also, it appears by the time peripheral tech catches up with USB 3.1 or SATA Express, this thing will be long since obsoleted. But it would pretty sweet.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Keep driving down the prices on those EVOs... They're plenty fast and reliable for me. I'll happily take a 1TB Evo for the same price as a 500GB Pro. The extra space > the extra speed/reliability IMHO. 850 Evos are still plenty fast and reliable.

Its crazy how fast capacities are growing while prices drop on SSDs.

3 years ago when I built my PC, I was thrilled to put a 64GB SSD in my PC as a boot drive. As of last month I had a 512GB SSD boot drive for the same price as I paid for that 64GB drive 3 years ago. If that trend keeps up, give me my 4 TB SSD for $150 in another 3 years...

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I haven't built a PC in a few years, and haven't really followed it much. I built a PC with PChound, can anyone recommend anything with similar or better performance that's the same price or cheaper? I can't really go any higher than what I've already built.

PC Hound - Build a PC in Seconds

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's the new Z170 chipset that is alluring. Tons of USB3 ports, M.2 SSD interface, DDR4, etc.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
You can spend $800 on a new CPU, mobo, and RAM and probably see a 10-20% increase in gaming FPS

How much of an increase would you see from an $800 GPU compared to what you have now?

Everytime I think about upgrading my i5 3570k, I think of that reasoning, and then I don't upgrade. I can get a bigger performance boost out of spending ~$400 on a new/additional GPU than I can spending $800 on a new CPU/mobo/RAM

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
There's no real reason to upgrade anything younger than a 2500k/2700k (Sandy Bridge.)

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Those of us on an i7-960 are having a hell of a time not dropping a big pile of cash this instant though -_-

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Those of us on an i7-960 are having a hell of a time not dropping a big pile of cash this instant though -_-
Lol I have a 920 still :p Haven't found a reason to upgrade yet :p Probably this fall or next spring though. I usually keep CPUs for quite a while, and just upgrade GPU every ~2 years.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You can spend $800 on a new CPU, mobo, and RAM and probably see a 10-20% increase in gaming FPS

How much of an increase would you see from an $800 GPU compared to what you have now?

Everytime I think about upgrading my i5 3570k, I think of that reasoning, and then I don't upgrade. I can get a bigger performance boost out of spending ~$400 on a new/additional GPU than I can spending $800 on a new CPU/mobo/RAM
I have sli 980 Ti though. =D

Currently on 3770k @ 4.4GHz / 16GB DDR3 @ 2400MHz. It's just an irrational upgrade bug. I haven't gone this long in pretty much ever without an upgrade. I am usually the once a year or two rebuild kind of guy. Hence why I said talk me out of it.