Desktop Computers

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I can get the thing for less than 600 dollars from Amazon if I count all the bonuses I get back from my new credit cards.

Other than the price, the only negative is having to adjust/modify/replace my desk somehow to fit it. But I've been wanting to do that for a while. I spend a lot of my downtime trying to design a new desk out of ikea parts.
I had to rotate my other monitors to portrait to fit everything, because yea the monitor is fucking huge. It's so almost perfect, but my two old vg248qe are justslightlynot the right size to line up the bezels with the new monitor, so I obviously have to dumpster them and order new monitors to use for 2nd/3rd screens.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Should be fine, you'll just want to make sure the timing on both is the slower 10-10-10-30, as the new stick would probably fail/error trying to run at the faster 9-9-9-24 of the existing RAM

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Brother in law wants help picking a new video card. Says he's ok spending $200-$300'ish range. Wanna go nVidia, but haven't kept up with newer models. 950, 960, 970 still the ones to pick from?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Nvidia 970. They're about $300 and pretty much the best performance you'll get unless you want to spend $500+

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
970 (300) or 980ti (650). No real in between point that makes sense.

For AMD maybe the 380 or a non reference 290/x

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
In that price range? Yea. Otherwise you could maybe get a used 980gtx for 300$ on craigslist or something if you're lucky.

Hell, I may even sell you mine if I go stupid thing week and finally build something new.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Haha that's a hell of a deal Ronne but if you were to do that I would keep it for myself. Tell my brother in law to go with the new 970.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Any recommendations for keyboards? My current one is so old that it's still PS/2. I've read up on the mechanical keyboards and I'm not sure I want to go that route. I'm picky, it's part of the reason I've never upgraded. I guess I'm actually asking for a site with good comprehensive reviews.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Any recommendations for keyboards? My current one is so old that it's still PS/2. I've read up on the mechanical keyboards and I'm not sure I want to go that route. I'm picky, it's part of the reason I've never upgraded. I guess I'm actually asking for a site with good comprehensive reviews.
Goto bestbuy staples and try the out, they are on display, also the mech boards have a section cutout in the box so you can try that out too. Btw mech all the way

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Goto bestbuy staples and try the out, they are on display, also the mech boards have a section cutout in the box so you can try that out too. Btw mech all the way
I replaced my old Logitech G11 with a Corsair STRAFE about 2 months ago and it's fantastic. I got some o-rings for it and it's not terribly loud, though still louder than the G11. It uses Cherry reds so the actuation force is pretty low, but more importantly it provides an even amount of resistance throughout the keypress, unlike the rubber domes used in the G11.

I actually like typing on this more than on the one old IBM model M clone we have at work, which I didn't expect.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
My gf and I are playing PC games in the same room, and we both need to talk into skype or whatever. We got her a desk mic but it's picking up too much sound, and she doesn't like hearing herself coming out of my speakers when she's talking, etc.

Long story short, what's a good PC (win 7) compatible headset with boom mic? Ideally one that fully covers ears. And if it's wireless, how would it connect, via USB receiver thinger? I'm not an xbro so I'm not up on headset stuff, I've used speakers and a desk mic for a decade.