Desktop Computers

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I would much rather have one 980ti than 2 970s SLI.

But at this point, pascal can't be more than like 7 months away.

Assuming I can get keep ridiculous amounts of overtime, I think I'm going to build a pretty fucking sweet PC sometime next year.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
That monitor is nothing special, it doesn't matter how you hook it up for[email protected]/* <![CDATA[ */!function(t,e,r,n,c,a,p){try{t=document.currentScript||function(){for(t=document.getElementsByTagName('script'),e=t.length;e--;)if(t[e].getAttribute('data-cfhash'))return t[e]}();if(t&&(c=t.previousSibling)){p=t.parentNode;if(a=c.getAttribute('data-cfemail')){for(e='',r='0x'+a.substr(0,2)|0,n=2;a.length-n;n+=2)e+='%'+('0'+('0x'+a.substr(n,2)^r).toString(16)).slice(-2);p.replaceChild(document.createTextNode(decodeURIComponent(e)),c)}p.removeChild(t)}}catch(u){}}()/* ]]> */

Killswitch

N00b
That monitor is nothing special, it doesn't matter how you hook it up for[email protected]/* <![CDATA[ */!function(t,e,r,n,c,a,p){try{t=document.currentScript||function(){for(t=document.getElementsByTagName('script'),e=t.length;e--;)if(t[e].getAttribute('data-cfhash'))return t[e]}();if(t&&(c=t.previousSibling)){p=t.parentNode;if(a=c.getAttribute('data-cfemail')){for(e='',r='0x'+a.substr(0,2)|0,n=2;a.length-n;n+=2)e+='%'+('0'+('0x'+a.substr(n,2)^r).toString(16)).slice(-2);p.replaceChild(document.createTextNode(decodeURIComponent(e)),c)}p.removeChild(t)}}catch(u){}}()/* ]]> */
So hooking one up HDMI and then using a displayport to HDMI for the other monitor will work? Just wanted to make sure I wasnt going to run into issue's never ran more than one monitor at a time.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Nah, not in that configuration. It really only gets "tricky" when you start trying to drive multiple 120/144 Hz monitors at 1440p+ and/or across SLI configurations. But multi monitors at 1080p60 a single card can put out these days (for the most part I'm not looking at every damn card out there).

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
How much cheaper is a pair of 970s though? An EVGA or something reference is what, like 320$ still? It comes out almost exactly the same price as a TI with a factory OC, and the TI benchmarks almost identical to the SLI setup (usually a few frames lower on max fps, few frames higher on minimum from what I've seen). Just seems like a lot less hassle to never have to deal with SLI issues in games to get basically identical performance and price.
It's a trade off;

No stuttering/frame issues
Lower power consumption
No driver/sli issues

V

Cheaper setup
Slightly better performance most of the time

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I had a GTX 570 that died (fans stopped working, overheated after like an hour and shut off) so I got a 960.

After putting it in and booting up I tried to update NVidia drivers but it kept failing. I tried to restart and it would only boot directly into bios. When I take out the card and go back to onboard video it boots fine.

Any suggestions? Is it just a dead card? Is my mobo dieing? HD dieing?

If it matters, I'm on win 8.1 64bit, Z77 Sabertooth, 250gb M4 SSD, 1TB WD Blue HD

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Did you plug in the additional power connector(s) correctly? It should be 1x 8-pin I think.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
It was 2x 6 pin ones, and yes. I even tried a different pair of power cables (I have TX 850 or something like that with plenty of juice and modular cables so was able to try spares easily).

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Just take it as a sign from the Almighty GabeN that you should have bought a 970.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Just take it as a sign from the Almighty GabeN that you should have bought a 970.
If it wasn't 50% more I probably would have tbh. I'm not sure I'd really get use out of the extra performance for the extra $100 though.

If only I could get the 960 to work
frown.png

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Is Driver Cleaner still around? Maybe try that or something similar to purge any trace of your old drivers or settings?

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Slippery: Try a different PCI-E slot. If it works, that's your cue to start looking for a motherboard. If not, I'd RMA the card.

(Also, oops, someone else already said this, but it's still a good idea.)