Desktop Computers

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Fuck, I want that Acer XB270HU so bad and I just can't bring myself to spend the money on it. FUCK.
just find some lowly nerd on this forum to buy it for you in exchange for a pic of your twat. you have plenty of options.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If I started a #SaveMist crowdfunding campaign, do you think we could promote it for lulz?

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Haven't kept up with components much over the last 3 years since I did my last build, finally deciding it's time to upgrade the Gigabyte 6950 now that I am actually playing some of these games that have been rotting. Is there still really never a time when deals are particularly great? Probably stay in the $250-350 range. Just 1440, no 4k for now. Any recommendations welcomed.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Snag an Nvidia 970 or an AMD 390 in that price range. I have the 970 one and it runs everything great at 1440p. Both are great cards, it kinda just depends on if you are an Nvidia or AMD fan. Some games run better on one, some on the other. I just tend to lean towards Nvidia as they seem to have a wider variety of games that are optimized best for them. But if you have 1 particular game you play all the time (an MMO or something) then I'd look into which type of card runs it best.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
This is interesting. In the one and only Directx 12 game that exists(so take the results with a grain of salt), the best performance comes from a mix of using 1 AMD card with 1 NVidia card. I guess the game/benchmark doesn't inherently support Crossfire/SLI so it's up to DirectX 12 to make 2 cards work together. Pretty decent results for a game that is in Alpha and probably far from optimized. We know that SLI/Crossfire have been refined to the point that they give about 90%+ returns in using 2 cards in games that support it, but these results aren't bad at all for a patchwork software solution. It looks like DirectX 12 ends up with about a 75-80% yield on using 2 cards together (980Ti 45fps, FuryX 42 Fps, 100% yield = 87 FPs, actual yield = 71 FPS)

78164.png

Ashes GPU Performance: Single Mixed High-End GPUs - GeForce + Radeon: Previewing DirectX 12 Multi-Adapter with Ashes of the Singularity

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Build it from quality components. Not only do you get better shit, but all the components come with 3-7 year warranties for free instead of Dell's addon bullshit.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Price can be quite a lot cheaper OR you get a similar price but with all quality components instead of Generic RAM X, China power supply Y, Dell motherboard Z, etc. Basically you can never go wrong with building yourself unless you are needing grandma's dirt cheap email box machine. The components have become about 100x easier to put together since 14 years ago too. The way connectors are these days, it's literally impossible to plug something in where it doesn't belong. BIOS pretty much comes ready to go out of the box too (no old jumper bullshit). A monkey could do it.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Your next question will inevitably be for system suggestions. If you click back through previous pages in this thread, you will see multiple discussions and price points on the matter. Start from there and ask your questions here. Lot's of us happily repeat ourselves with hardware advice.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Ok, I'll see if I can put something together and repost here for approval. The part I'm always nervous about compatibility.

Newegg still the place to go?