Desktop Computers

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Looking at dumping my GTX 760 for an MSI GTX 1060, anything I should be taking into consideration before making the switch?

If you can wait don't buy a Graphics card right now. You are paying a premium because of nerd coin mining. Just wait for Volta which should be coming within 6 months.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Intel replacing the 7700k after less than a year, will be releasing coffee lake CPUs later this year. i3s will now be quad core and i5 and i7 will be hexacores.

Bet anyone who bought an i5 in the past few months is happy right now.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Intel replacing the 7700k after less than a year, will be releasing coffee lake CPUs later this year. i3s will now be quad core and i5 and i7 will be hexacores.

I guess it could be said that AMD forced their hand to include more cores with Zen, so that's a positive.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I guess it could be said that AMD forced their hand to include more cores with Zen, so that's a positive.
Not really since this means lower clock speeds because more heat. Besides more cores does not do shit for gaming, which most of us here bought those chips for. I'd rather have 4 core @ 4.6 than six cores running @ 3.0

Onoes

Trakanon Raider

God damn I know there's always something just around the corner, but I feel like I've been going to put a new PC together for a year and there's always a reason to wait. I've got an amazon cart loaded up with my gaming machine, which includes an 7700k and an Nvidia 1080 ti... does that news mean waiting a few months is really going to pay off in some big way? And is this Volta going to hit in a few months and blow the 1080ti out of the watre, because damn, that's $800 right there.

My gaming rig is still fine for what I'm doing... I've just got this $1,200 Acer Predator monitor and I want to crank everything up to ultra, but I also don't really want to drop $2k on stuff that's just about it to be yesterdays news.

Advise please.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
God damn I know there's always something just around the corner, but I feel like I've been going to put a new PC together for a year and there's always a reason to wait. I've got an amazon cart loaded up with my gaming machine, which includes an 7700k and an Nvidia 1080 ti... does that news mean waiting a few months is really going to pay off in some big way? And is this Volta going to hit in a few months and blow the 1080ti out of the watre, because damn, that's $800 right there.

My gaming rig is still fine for what I'm doing... I've just got this $1,200 Acer Predator monitor and I want to crank everything up to ultra, but I also don't really want to drop $2k on stuff that's just about it to be yesterdays news.

Advise please.

I would wait.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I would wait.

Yea the general rule is you can always wait another few months for better BUT I feel like regardless of the new AMD products' actual impact, the threat of competition is forcing some legit iteration (if not innovation) again right at this point in time.

Dynalisia

Lord Nagafen Raider
Any of you guys clued in on the latest rumors in screen land?

I'm going to take the plunge and shell out for a 1080ti to upgrade my Radeon R9 290 because I'm getting sick of terrible framerates in most new games. And because I've suffered through bad framerates for a while, I figured I might as well go all the way and finally get one of those fancy Gsync 144Hz screens.

However, then I started reading up on stuff and realized that the best screens in the fancy pants bracket are still the XB271HU and PG279Q, as they were like...2 years ago? Would it really make sense to buy tech that is already that old?

I also read about how HDR screens are now entering the market. Considering I'm shelling out 700-800 for a screen, would it make more sense to wait for HDR to come out and go for that?

I'm also pretty sure I'll be going for a 1440p screen, because I don't really see the use in 4K if I want to have high framerates. However, I haven't seen a single 1440p 144Hz Gsync HDR screen announced, they all seem to be 4K.

Main question: I just want the fanciest shit I can get for about 900,- max, at 27" and 1440p. Given that, would it make sense to wait for 2018's screens or should I just buy one of the 2015-2016 ones that will probably be in late-revision status and quite error-free by now.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Any of you guys clued in on the latest rumors in screen land?

I'm going to take the plunge and shell out for a 1080ti to upgrade my Radeon R9 290 because I'm getting sick of terrible framerates in most new games. And because I've suffered through bad framerates for a while, I figured I might as well go all the way and finally get one of those fancy Gsync 144Hz screens.

However, then I started reading up on stuff and realized that the best screens in the fancy pants bracket are still the XB271HU and PG279Q, as they were like...2 years ago? Would it really make sense to buy tech that is already that old?

I also read about how HDR screens are now entering the market. Considering I'm shelling out 700-800 for a screen, would it make more sense to wait for HDR to come out and go for that?

I'm also pretty sure I'll be going for a 1440p screen, because I don't really see the use in 4K if I want to have high framerates. However, I haven't seen a single 1440p 144Hz Gsync HDR screen announced, they all seem to be 4K.

Main question: I just want the fanciest shit I can get for about 900,- max, at 27" and 1440p. Given that, would it make sense to wait for 2018's screens or should I just buy one of the 2015-2016 ones that will probably be in late-revision status and quite error-free by now.
https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Gaming-S2716DG-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B0149QBOF0

If you can find one of these under 500 dollars, its a deal. It'll last you until there is better HDR shit available.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Not really since this means lower clock speeds because more heat. Besides more cores does not do shit for gaming, which most of us here bought those chips for. I'd rather have 4 core @ 4.6 than six cores running @ 3.0
Have u seen the clocks for 8700k? They are higher than 7700k

Edit: nvm I think I'm wrong

Last edited:

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Have u seen the clocks for 8700k? They are higher than 7700k

Edit: nvm I think I'm wrong

In terms of clock speeds, we are looking at a 3.7 GHz base frequency which boosts up to 4.3 GHz (6 core), 4.4 GHz (4 core), 4.6 GHz (2 core) and 4.7 GHz (1 core). These clocks are really impressive so we can expect much faster gaming performance on Coffee Lake parts than the current generation of CPUs.

Intel Core i7-8700K Flagship Coffee Lake 6 Core CPU Benchmarks Leak

Malkav

French Madman
I haven't been able to stop laughing at AMD since Vega RX benchmarks released yesterday.

A 350W card doing 1080 performances. This things eat almost as much juice as a SLI of 1080. :D :D

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users