Desktop Computers

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
So still same problem as the Zens after a 25hour stress, the CPU just gave up(complete shut-down, server tech had to hard-reset the rack). It is fast as fuck, when it's stable.

So the 2nd set of ThreadRippers we got, do not have the compiling errors that were present in the first iteration chips we got(guessing the first chips were the initial run's off that die) there fast about all I can say really..

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Right. .... "cache structure. .."

I'm going with It will probably offer the same performance as the 7800X but at a lower price due to it not being "HEDT".

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Right. .... "cache structure. .."

I'm going with It will probably offer the same performance as the 7800X but at a lower price due to it not being "HEDT".
It will be way better in gaming than a 7800K. The 7800k gets smoked by the 7700K in gaming. The interconnects between the cache and the cores on Skylake-X are not optimized for gaming, it's an entirely new design, it's architecturally very different from the previous chips. The 8700K uses the same cache design as the 7700K (and every other mainstream platform chip going back to Sandy Bridge) it just has 50% more cache and 50% more cores.

Ryoz

<Donor>
I wanna build a new big dick PC. What am I looking at as far as a video card goes? Anything new on the horizon? Gimme your thoughts boyzzzz.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I wanna build a new big dick PC. What am I looking at as far as a video card goes? Anything new on the horizon? Gimme your thoughts boyzzzz.

Since AMD screwed the pooch it's going to be 1080ti until at least the start of next year. Intel 8700k release date hasn't been announced yet so a 7700k with 1080ti SLI is your best bet for now. You could wait for the 8700k then you could also end up waiting for the 20?? Volta cards. Something new always around the corner.

If you plan on doing 4k gaming I would say wait for the new Volta, if not just get a 7700k plus 1080ti in SLI and you are good.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
SLI isn’t even worth it anymore. Nvidia put the onus on game developers to implement SLI support in their games instead of at a driver level. Now it’s a shit show and we all know how lazy the devs are...

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
SLI isn’t even worth it anymore. Nvidia put the onus on game developers to implement SLI support in their games instead of at a driver level. Now it’s a shit show and we all know how lazy the devs are...

Yah, if you are going for newer games and not older ones then it's best to put that money towards a real nice Open loop cooling set up. Here is a list of games new and old and the performance increase or not with SLI.

GTX 1080 Ti SLI Performance in 25 Games - Page 3 of 3 - BabelTechReviews

• 1Solidarity

Boostinks

N00b
1) That case is awesome. Best case I've ever owned. Get a wall mount and throw that fucker on the wall. Here you can see mine. Note the Vega 64 mining salt as we speak.

case.jpg

2) Get a 750 watt G3 and save yourself 50 bucks

3) Get a Ryzen 1700 like a grown up.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
1) That case is awesome. Best case I've ever owned. Get a wall mount and throw that fucker on the wall. Here you can see mine. Note the Vega 64 mining salt as we speak.

View attachment 152075

2) Get a 750 watt G3 and save yourself 50 bucks

3) Get a Ryzen 1700 like a grown up.

You just recommended an AMD while posting a pic with RGB Ram. I should probably spoil your post with a trigger warning.:)

The one thing I have never been comfortable getting is the PSU. I know PC partpicker has the wattage that you need but I never know how much you should go over it to be safe or if you even need to go over it by much.

Boostinks

N00b
You just recommended an AMD while posting a pic with RGB Ram. I should probably spoil your post with a trigger warning.:)

The one thing I have never been comfortable getting is the PSU. I know PC partpicker has the wattage that you need but I never know how much you should go over it to be safe or if you even need to go over it by much.

This day and age, you can pretty much use the GPU's recommended power supply. GTX 1080 ti recommends a 600w. Go a level up to a 750 and sleep soundly.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Building a new computer for my daughter and would like any critique or suggestions on the build. Target is 4k gaming on a 4kTV and a secondary monitor for FPS gaming at 144mhz at 2560x1440.

System Build - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core, GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC2, Core P3 SE Snow Edition ATX Mid Tower - PCPartPicker

FYI. Microcenter is selling that CPU for $299 and when you buy it with a MO Bo you also get 30 off the mo bo.

Micro Center - Computers and Electronics

• 1Solidarity

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Not sure how I feel about the open chassis design - do you have pets?

Yes. No matter what case I get and how many dust filters I have on it there is nothing I can do to keep it from getting dusty or pet hair in it. I figure that If the case is open I am more likely to clean it since I can just blow it out with one of those little air compressors instead of putting it off cause I don't feel like unplugging everything and moving the case to clean it. It will also be wall mounted so I don't have to worry about them fucking with it.