1. So I have finally brought a new discord online and brought all the other ones to it. Guest please join us there for chat!

Once you click chat and join the sever you can link your Discord to the forum and get all the permissions you have here. Click here to link accounts.

Dismiss Notice

Desktop Computers

Discussion in 'Technology and Gadgets' started by Denamian, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Noodleface Delicious Noodles
    DONOR

Noodleface
    Ratings:
    +5,101
    Are you talking about EQ? I got a Pentium 3 for ya

• Like Like x 1
  2. DONOR

wilkxus
    Ratings:
    +122
    Single graphics card for one person playing MMO on 1-2 displays?

Cannot go wrong with more cores then (theyre free by default now thanks to Zen and CoffeeLake). New 8700K looks really nice. But really if you are multiboxing something light like EQ then a six 8700K or eight core ryzen will be more than enough/overkill.

Only for simultaneous heavy threaded apps (ie multiple people playing game on same physical machine) will you need extra physical cores. In that case Ryzen will prob be a better investment: Zen might have a slightly lower peak thread performance but most likely be smoother gaming experience for the price you pay for your cores.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jeydax Death and Taxes
    DONOR

jeydax
    Ratings:
    +75
  4. ronne Well-Known Member

ronne
    Ratings:
    +829
    There are rumors yet about when Nvidia will launch 11XX or whatever they are going to name them cards?

Pretty sure my 980ti is dying; get constant driver crashes and recoveries that no amount of reinstalling will fix. Only thing that seems to keep it from happening is forcing a downclock on the card, but I really don't want to buy a 1080ti this late in to the life cycle so hoping I can limp along for a few months if I can until a new launch.

5. jeydax Death and Taxes
    DONOR

jeydax
    Ratings:
    +75
    Most people are saying early to mid 2018.

6. Big Phoenix Well-Known Member

Big Phoenix
    Ratings:
    +6,657
    Yeah probably summer 2018 considering their history. 1000 series was end of May 2016.

7. Mist Well-Known Member

Mist
    Ratings:
    +2,492
    New PSU?

8. Flipmode EQOA Refugee
    DONOR

Flipmode
    Ratings:
    +122
    Yeah I think Mist is on the right track. Unless you just abused the shit out of that card, it shouldn’t be behaving like that. It presents like a power issue.

9. ronne Well-Known Member

ronne
    Ratings:
    +829
    Yea I thought about that, but haven't been motivated enough to go rent one from Microcenter yet.

10. Noodleface Delicious Noodles
    DONOR

Noodleface
    Ratings:
    +5,101
    You can rent parts?

11. ronne Well-Known Member

ronne
    Ratings:
    +829
    I mean, technically no, but they have a pretty generous return policy if it turns out that wasn't the issue.

12. Noodleface Delicious Noodles
    DONOR

Noodleface
    Ratings:
    +5,101
    Ah the ol home Depot "turns out I didn't need this one time use tool" trick

• Solidarity Solidarity x 1
  13. Lanx 周潤發
    DONOR

Lanx
    Ratings:
    +2,913
    try amazon!

i bought a dethatching rake, and it was lost cuz of the hurricanes.

so they sent me another one, then the lost one shows up and i'm trying to return it

then for some reason they send me another one

i keep on requesting return tickets, they give a 5$ credit for my troubles or another month of prime.

Now i see they refunded one rake, and the second one is lost in the mail.

so somehow, this ordeal has netting me a free rake, and extra prime, and i didn't even have to return em to the ups store, cuz these boxes are so big, they barely fit in my car, so they just had ups come pick em up.

14. Big Phoenix Well-Known Member

Big Phoenix
    Ratings:
    +6,657
    What are your temps? Is the fan still working or is the heatsink clogged with dirt or hair?

15. ronne Well-Known Member

ronne
    Ratings:
    +829
    Fans and temps all are normal, and I'm not seeing anything else like artifacting or whatever. Just the driver crashes/recoveries.

The more I miss with it the more I think it's just some shitty driver or Windows issue. It doesn't ever seem to happen in battlegrounds or overwatch, and those tax my card way harder than the dumb indie shit that it crashes constantly in like battle chasers.

16. Flipmode EQOA Refugee
    DONOR

Flipmode
    Ratings:
    +122
    May not hurt to just reinstall windows and see if that doesn’t fix the issue. If it doesn’t, you know it’s hardware related. If it does, all is good. Beats spending money if you don’t have to.

17. Mist Well-Known Member

Mist
    Ratings:
    +2,492
    It's almost 100% the PSU. It's always the PSU when we're talking about those dual 8-pin flagship graphics cards.

18. Fulorian Member

Fulorian
    Ratings:
    +9
    Try reducing your power target in MSI Afterburner. I don't remember exactly how it was with Maxwell cards, but Pascal generally can run at about 80-85% of normal clockspeed at about 65-70% power target (basically, running it like the mobile GPUs). I doubt that indie shit is taxing your card either way, so see if the reduced power delivery improves things, and if it does, it points to your PSU being overstressed.

19. Dynalisia Member

Dynalisia
    Ratings:
    +5
    This is frustrating the hell out of me as well. Destiny PC will be out in a few weeks and I really want(ed) to have a new screen by then, but I'm running into the same conflicting feelings about buying current gen tech as you. I've looked into things a bit and it seems that AU Optronics is the only display manufacturer with the tech level to actually produce a 4K/1440p, IPS, 144Hz, GSync HDR screen and they just haven't figured that shit out quite yet. People expect that the next gen should appear around Spring 2018, but that's way too fucking late god damnit.

20. Mist Well-Known Member

Mist
    Ratings:
    +2,492
    Just buy the Dell 27 inch sync for now, its not that expensive if you shop around, and you can probably resell it or re-purpose it when something better comes out. It's not IPS but it looks absolutely fantastic in ULMB mode.