Desktop Computers

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
So is Volta coming out finally with the announcement of a new titan or is it just a Pascal refresh again?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'm waiting for Z390 Intel stuffs. Z370 seems like a stopgap. 4770K still kicking too much ass to quit it yet anyway.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Going to agree with Noodle, I have some HyperX Cloud II's and they sound fantastic, super comfy and no complaints when I used the mic. That said wanted to use on board audio so ended up not using the USB option which was needed for mic and just went with a snowball.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Going to agree with Noodle, I have some HyperX Cloud II's and they sound fantastic, super comfy and no complaints when I used the mic. That said wanted to use on board audio so ended up not using the USB option which was needed for mic and just went with a snowball.
I think I have the original version so no usb option

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
That monitor is great for the price, it's come up many many times in this thread.

You have to fiddle with the contrast (on the OSD) and gamma (in Windows color management or in-game) a bit to get the colors to look closer to that IPS pop, and the viewing angle is typical TN garbage, but it looks great in both G-Sync and ULMB mode once you tune it in.

Is there a 24 inch version of this monitor? If so, is it as good as the 27?

I have a r5 1600 oced to 3.7 and a 1070. I have heard 144hz gaming is the way to go but don't know the first thing about it. I was going to go with 1080p/144hz with my system. Is gsync really worth the extra?

Fulorian

Golden Knight of the Realm
The general difference between Ryzen and Intel is pretty overstated because of some initial issues at launch, but it's true that if you're looking to lock at 144 FPS, and don't have interest in the multithreaded capabilities, Intel i5 and i7 K SKU's will give a higher maximum/average framerate (although in many cases, it also has lower minimum framerates as well). That said, it's generally a difference of 125 FPS for Ryzen vs 140 FPS for Intel - at any resolution higher than 1080p, you're unlikely to ever be CPU limited on any contemporary AAA game that stresses the GPU at all, even with a 1080 Ti.

In theory, the 1600Xs are higher clocked, but in practicality, nobody has been able to find a meaningful binning difference between 1600 and 1600X - the X SKU's are largely for people who are solely interested in out-of-the-box performance, such as professional users who would be locked out of overclocking regardless.

Anyway, G-Sync probably wouldn't matter if you were locked at exactly 144 fps (improbable in any use case), but it's false to say the only impact at high fps is screen tearing. It's literally dynamically refreshing the frame draw, instead of being variable. Most use cases at 1440p will look something like this - lets call it a steady 100 fps on a monitor refreshing 144 hz:

7 ms
14 ms
7 ms
14 ms
7 ms
14 ms
7 ms
14 ms

You're flickering between 72 and 144 hz with every frame, it essence. The G-Sync will draw the frames smoothly:

10 ms
10 ms
10 ms
10 ms
10 ms
10 ms

So it's not just screen tearing - it's all the associated stutters that come from the frequency of the monitor not being synchronized with the frames being provided by the GPU.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
What he says is true. If you MUST have a gaming headset, I've tried about 10 of em. The winner for the price/performance were the Corsair's. Wasn't even close really. The Sennheiser's were 2nd. But were WAY more expensive, and it looks like you want wireless.

https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-Wire...6962&sr=8-2&keywords=corsair+wireless+headset

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-G...1509387147&sr=8-4&keywords=sennheiser+headset
Have those Sennheiser Game ONEs, and they are really great, and comfortable.

I bought them brand new off eBay for $115 though.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Is there a 24 inch version of this monitor? If so, is it as good as the 27?

I have a r5 1600 oced to 3.7 and a 1070. I have heard 144hz gaming is the way to go but don't know the first thing about it. I was going to go with 1080p/144hz with my system. Is gsync really worth the extra?
I feel like the 24 inch version is overpriced for a TN panel.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So Intel is going to make an apu that uses AMD`s Vega gpu.

This seems odd? What's the point of AMD making apus if they give Intel the tech to make a better one?

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I don't know but these new gen intel CPUs are scarce as hell. I want to snag an i5-8600k but I might just give in and get an i7-7700k now. I wanna wait but without a timeline it blows.

Lurkingmoar

Molten Core Raider

This seems odd? What's the point of AMD making apus if they give Intel the tech to make a better one?

It seems to be a play to take on Nvidia in the mobile market. AMD hits them in the low end with their 15w tdp raven ridge chip while Intel hits them in the high end with this.

I don't know but these new gen intel CPUs are scarce as hell. I want to snag an i5-8600k but I might just give in and get an i7-7700k now. I wanna wait but without a timeline it blows.

This could be bad news or good news depending on how you look at it.
Intel's first 10nm chips coming in 2017 (in small quantities) - Liliputing

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>

They basically get a cut of both AMD ryzen APUs and some Intel APUs (prob going into Apple stuff, which they would not get anyhow). So a nice win for AMD GPUs in mobile at expense of NVIDIA.

AMD has not had enough money to do simultaneous rollouts of multiple versions silicon off the same designs (for neither Zen nor Vega). And AMD needs cash , much much more $$ to compete effectively and this helps them on the ballance sheets. Look how slow their Ryzen rollout has been. Engineering and process production costs keep going up for GPUs and CPUs every generation and are very very high. But the market has stopped expanding, with no growth or shrinkage in some consumer sectors.

Intel otoh.... rolling in cash (their R&D budget alone dwarfs AMDs sales) and has its own fabs so can do as it pleases and rolls out multiple generations and updates of silicon a year.

Fulorian

Golden Knight of the Realm

Coffee Lake wasn't supposed to release until H1 18. They rushed the release with nearly zero inventory to cockblock Ryzen and try to gain mindshare back, without actually delivering a product to consumers.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Coffee Lake wasn't supposed to release until H1 18. They rushed the release with nearly zero inventory to cockblock Ryzen and try to gain mindshare back, without actually delivering a product to consumers.

Don't you mean clockblock?

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

gak

<Gold Donor>
Raja "quits" after disappointing Vega release:

Raja Koduri departs AMD

a.jpg

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I just don't get it. Guy oversaw the design of two garbage architectures and he fails upwards? Must be nice to be more valued for your connections than competency.