Desktop Computers

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
So I was thinking of getting myself a decent sound setup for my gaming PC rather then just using the onboard stuff.

I was thinking about https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009RPQA2G/ref=psdc_949408031_t1_B009ISU33E but not sure what headphones to get with it, (cannot use speakers) but as someone who never really messed around with sound setups I was wondering what headphones I should get or if it would even be worth installing a sound card if I only going to be using headphones?

No need for sound cards any longer. Get yourself a small amp/dac combo and be done with it forever. Get either Razer's free Razer Surround. Or Creative's 30 dollar SBX Pro Studio. They do the same thing. They sound the damn same. Get the Razer Surround.

Razer Surround Personalized 7.1 Gaming Audio Software

SBX Pro Studio | For 3D audio immersion | soundblaster.com

I am also a Sennheiser guy, and will always recommend them over everyone else. Wilkxus is dead on as far as his suggestions go. I personally would get the HD700's for gaming though. The HD650's are in your head as far as soundstage goes. The HD700 soundstage is enormous and definately better for FPS gaming. Just better headphones all around really. 100 bucks moire though.

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-H...?ie=UTF8&qid=1513614280&sr=8-2&keywords=hd700

Your dac/amp. Your choice. A DAC is a DAC is a DAC at these price points. Amps vary, but again, at this price point (under 500 for both) it won't matter. Get the Schiit stack, and be done with it forever. Unless you REALLY get into sound later.

Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA.

Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA.

From your PC you run either a Toslink or USB cable to the DAC. The output from the DAC to the headphone amp. Plug your headphones into the amp. In Windows, just choose the Razer Surround as your output, and you are done.

Crystal clear 5.1 surround for your gaming.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Funkor

Molten Core Raider
Gotcha, I will do some homework on a mic but I won't be streaming to a lot of people either I would imagine. In all honesty I probably won't need a dedicated mic so I might just play that one by ear. I will most likely be setting a schedule too just so I don't get lazy during my recovery which I can see happening with how immobile I am.
Late to the game to reply to this but I'll give my input on audio peripherals. For microphones a dedicated XLR microphone will give you much better voice quality than a USB mic like the Blue Yeti. Decent low end XLRs cost the same or less than the Blue Yeti which has an inflated price on it because streamers everywhere use it. XLR mics come as Dynamic or Condenser which you can read about here (Difference between a dynamic and condenser microphone | Knowledge Base | Shure Americas). Microphones that come bundled as a headset are either on par with USB microphones, or even worse, and headsets in general are overpriced for what you get. I don't have any experience with the Antlion modmic which is a way you can turn headphones into a pseudo headset by pasting the microphone on there. They cost $40-$50 which I feel is too much for what you actually get compared to other low end microphones.

For headphones try to pay attention to Massdrop for when they do a sale on headphones in the $200 to $300 price range for a good starting set if you're willing to be patient. They like to do Massdrop editions of headphones from popular companies like Sennheiser and Audio-Technica. You can certainly go a lot higher in price than that but if you're just starting out it might be safer to be conservative with your dollars.

Brahma already mentioned DACs and headphone amps as another way to boost the sound quality to your ears. An alternative that you can look into if you also want to use an XLR microphone is to get a USB Audio Interface that has a headphone jack on it. A USB Audio Interface is another box that sits on your desk that you would need to be able to feed an XLR microphone (and any instruments if you were a musician) to your PC via a USB cable. A lot of them also have a headphone out jack on them that you can plug in to either direct monitor the sound from your voice/instrument (for recording), or just to hear the sound coming from your PC normally. They have a DAC built in to them and some form of headphone amp if they have a gain knob for changing the volume on the headphones. If your headphones don't require much power to drive them this can be a good way to save money if you're already having to purchase one of these for a dedicated microphone (this is how I did my setup). If you settle on headphones that require more power to drive them you would need to read the specs on the device, or read online reviews, to see if it has enough power to drive them or if you'd need to get a separate headphone amp with more power. Brahma or the internet would know more about power requirements for each set of headphones.

My current setup is:
Audio-Technica AT2020 Cardoid Condenser Studio Microphone - I went with Condenser over Dynamic for the better sound and because I don't have a ton of background noise.
Behringer UMC404HD USB Audio Interface - Went a bit more expensive here to get a device with a dedicated power plug rather than USB power only.
AmazonBasics XLR cable
On Stage Table Clamp + Telescoping Mini-Boom + Mini Boom Arm - I went with a more secure stationary setup for the mic over a spring driven boom arm because I didn't want my cats knocking it all over.
Massdrop AKG K7XX - Bought these on a whim over Sennheiser because there wasn't a drop going on for that brand in my $200ish price range when I put this all together.

I don't stream at all but talk in Mumble/Discord and game with friends all the time and I was tired of shitty headsets that break or sound like garbage. This setup can be carried on from PC to PC whenever I upgrade and each area could be upgraded further if I want to spend the extra money.

Edit:
Forgot to link the video that I pulled a lot of useful information from about microphones. Oddly it is about suggestions for being an online voice actor but the guy gives good starting recommendations for an audio setup for people just starting out or who are on a tight budget.

• 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Do you think the better vlaue here is headphones first or dac/amp first? If one can't drop $700 at once

Show me the headphones you buy and I will mail you a nice little tube amp. Something like the 595's will go nice with the amps I have lying around.
41VfvJT3eeL.jpg

• 1Barf

loudgas

Golden Baronet of the Realm
For anyone interested I ended up getting a 1050ti and I'm not disappointed at all, I can run everything on max settings @2560x1080 with smooth frame rates

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I like my 1050ti on my second computer. Someone gave it to me and I think at the time it was around $125. Like you said at 1080p it runs most of the games I run on that computer at max settings at 60fps or greater. My eve online installation on that computer will run at 290fps with all max settings if I let. But the game is 15 years old....

Anyway, heard back from AutoDesk. This kind of scares me. They're "partnering" with some anti virus companies, which I have no idea how that works but I imagine once something is tagged as a virus for one company it gets picked up by others. Maybe not. Anyway they're partnering with microsoft to have installations that do not have a user key entered marked as "suspicious". I have autodesk products on different computers and on one I don't have the key entered. I have a key, just never entered it yet. That's what is showing up on a virus scan. That sounds pretty shitty. Conveniently enough AutoDesk told me if I entered my code it would stop. I told them even better would just be remove the program entirely. I'll still have the program and key to use later. Guess AutoDesk is trying to get rid of the few things until recently you could buy a lfietime license and isntall it, instead of this rental crap which I am not a fan of for a business. Pretty sure they have huge issues in certain parts of the world, which oddly eough they have moved most of their staff.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
SaaS is where the money is at bro. Perpetual licenses are just handing away free product! "REEEEE BUSINESSSsssssss salessssssss!"

Yeah, this is all a result of short term shareholder value > long term SMB relationships and the endless dumb idea to offshore support and development to countries that have no IP protection because "If we can get into this new market (China), we'll start making BANK once we hand over $3-4M of trial (completely free no strings attached product). This totally won't bite us in the ass in 2-3 years when they don't renew with us or demand the same exorbitant discounts they got on their initial offering because that's just what they expect to pay forever now. Oh, I and the rest of the board will already have left this company burning like a garbage fire, collected our huge bonuses, and moved onto the next tech company to drive into the ground in the name of profit!"

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
Is this typical? I've built 6 rigs since 2002. Total hardware failures: (I'm sure I'm forgetting some)

4 motherboard failures: 2 dead motherboards after ~1 year use each; a third causes BSODs every now and then; now it looks like (unsure) my Ryzen board is causing frequent BSODs making my new Ryzen machine unusuable for development/games.
2 RAM RMAs from defective RAM in two builds
2 video card failures: one had bad caps, another became useless for games after less than 2 years but can mine crypto still
3 PSU failures
2 dead monitors, granted they had years of use
5 mice that started double clicking on single clicks/couldn't click+drag anymore; typically after ~1 year use. (one broke in a couple of weeks)

Ryzen mobo also has an unusable headphone jack and other audio problems + the expensive Samsung B die RAM I bought still runs WAY under rated speed with latest BIOS. (like 2/3rds speed) This is a X370 chipset board, not cheap shit.
The cherry on top is the 3.5 drive enclosure I just bought doesn't work. They give these away for free when sold with a drive, but I pay $22 for one and it's non-functional. Ironically my spinners have been reliable while everything else fails.

I've never built a machine that didn't need something replaced and didn't crash/give me headaches. Everything worked great when daddy bought my 386 486 and pentiums, but since then it's been constant hardware failures. My #1 concern when buying hardware is reliability; I'd pay a 50% premium for hardware that was guaranteed to work and last 10 years. Somebody tell me what brands to buy, please.

I'm going crazy with all this wasted time and money. Can somebody tell me how I'm supposed to troubleshoot completely random BSODs that pop up with several different error codes and have zero correlation with what software is running at the time and can occur anywhere from 2 per day to 1 per month without spending stupid amounts of money?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Not usual except maybe the mice, which I've found to be low quality in general.

Either you're doing something wrong or have really shitty wiring / protection

loudgas

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think expecting 10yrs might be a stretch, our servers at work are approaching 10yrs and we have failures of one kind or another constantly.

Depending on how hard you push your system I think will determine its lifespan, I generally stay away from OCZ products, and Seagate drives, I have seen most failures form those brands.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
I really don't think that it's unreasonable to expect a device with no moving parts to last 10 years when not buying low-end parts and with proper maintenance and cooling. That may be too much to expect from today's hardware, but I would argue that we're being ripped off. Sandy Bridge is now 7 years old and still very usable, and the new AM4 socket is supposed to last 4 generations. I use my machines a long time, and were I not forced to replace them due to defective hardware, I'd use them longer. (forgot to mention that I had a 5th mobo become unusable after about 8 years, which is a minor miracle for me, but I was still using it)

If these goddamn things are going to fail, I wish they would just blow up instead of randomly BSOD on me making me pull my hair out trying to figure out the cause and wasting tremendous amounts of my time.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
Funny thing. I have 13 year old HDDs that still work flawlessly and have no SMART errors. I've had no spinner fail in about 15 years. I pulled like 99% of my data off my 386 drives back in 2013, but they were clearly about to die. (20 year old drives at the time) Motherboards though? I'm scared to death buying those.

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Is this typical? I've built 6 rigs since 2002. Total hardware failures: (I'm sure I'm forgetting some)

4 motherboard failures: 2 dead motherboards after ~1 year use each; a third causes BSODs every now and then; now it looks like (unsure) my Ryzen board is causing frequent BSODs making my new Ryzen machine unusuable for development/games.
2 RAM RMAs from defective RAM in two builds
2 video card failures: one had bad caps, another became useless for games after less than 2 years but can mine crypto still
3 PSU failures
2 dead monitors, granted they had years of use
5 mice that started double clicking on single clicks/couldn't click+drag anymore; typically after ~1 year use. (one broke in a couple of weeks)

Ryzen mobo also has an unusable headphone jack and other audio problems + the expensive Samsung B die RAM I bought still runs WAY under rated speed with latest BIOS. (like 2/3rds speed) This is a X370 chipset board, not cheap shit.
The cherry on top is the 3.5 drive enclosure I just bought doesn't work. They give these away for free when sold with a drive, but I pay $22 for one and it's non-functional. Ironically my spinners have been reliable while everything else fails.

I've never built a machine that didn't need something replaced and didn't crash/give me headaches. Everything worked great when daddy bought my 386 486 and pentiums, but since then it's been constant hardware failures. My #1 concern when buying hardware is reliability; I'd pay a 50% premium for hardware that was guaranteed to work and last 10 years. Somebody tell me what brands to buy, please.

I'm going crazy with all this wasted time and money. Can somebody tell me how I'm supposed to troubleshoot completely random BSODs that pop up with several different error codes and have zero correlation with what software is running at the time and can occur anywhere from 2 per day to 1 per month without spending stupid amounts of money?

Damn sounds to me like you have some dirty power coming in.

Get a decent quality UPS

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...d0-4ad8-5e84-b87d-4a65ff94e801&pf_rd_i=764572

Either that or you have a dust/hair issue or heat airflow issues. Hell all of the above. Once I started using a UPS I started noticing just how many mini brownouts happened in my area, and they are hell on electronics.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Sacrifice a mac, it will fix your problems.

Id say thats out of line, aside from the mobos. In the past 10 years, aside from two motherboards Ive only had a PSU and harddrive fail. And thats with running overlocked CPUs/GPUs.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
After using laptops for the last 12 years I'm finally buying a desktop.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700k 4.2GHZ Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua -NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME z270-A ATX LGA1151
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: 850 EVO-Series 500gb 2.5'' SSD
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5'' 7200RPM Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Gaming X Video Card
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX
Optical Drive: Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

• 1Like