Desktop Computers

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
I haven't built a computer since 2011 so I'm due for a new one. As for processors which is better? Ryzen 5 or I7 for gaming, streaming (1080p) and some video editing? Money isn't a huge issue since it's been 7 years I got a new gaming PC but at the same time I'm not trying to break the bank.
I wouldn't invest into an Intel rig at the moment. They found 8 new Specter vulnerabilities in Intel processors, and possibly more later. Every micro-code fix will lower performance. These vulnerabilities could affect AMD as well. However, AM4 socket is supported until 2020 so you can just plop a Zen 2/2+/3 down the road with architectural changes without buying a new motherboard. Intel also delayed their 10nm chip again, whereas AMD can just order 7nm from various manufacturers.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I haven't built a computer since 2011 so I'm due for a new one. As for processors which is better? Ryzen 5 or I7 for gaming, streaming (1080p) and some video editing? Money isn't a huge issue since it's been 7 years I got a new gaming PC but at the same time I'm not trying to break the bank.
Ryzen hands down if you are going to be streaming and editing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Ryzen hands down if you are going to be streaming and editing.
Ok but how much of an advantage does Intel has over Ryzen processor? Can't I still do editing and streaming with a compatible Intel processor or I would need to get a more expensive Intel that comparable to a Ryzen?

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
Ok but how much of an advantage does Intel has over Ryzen processor? Can't I still do editing and streaming with a compatible Intel processor or I would need to get a more expensive Intel that comparable to a Ryzen?
Price/performance are about the same at the moment, with the exception of single thread performance where Intel currently still dominates. You can go ahead and buy Intel, just be prepared for significant loss of performance over time with new Specter vulnerabilities being discovered.

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Intel has an advantage in single thread performance, so for most video games it is 10-15% faster. For anything else though, Ryzen just blows Intel away.

Youre going to be spending 2-3x more for Intel to get a system(gotta factor in the mobo as well, as Intel's "high end" line doesnt use the same as their mainstream and they cost a big more) that performs just as well as Ryzen as it does for streaming/editing. Also, their "high end" processors do not perform any better at all for gaming than their mainstream.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fadaar

That guy
Anyone else having issues with the latest Nvidia drivers acting fucking retarded? Every now and then the system acts like it's able to install new drivers and things start acting squirrely, even though my control panel says it's running the same drivers it's trying to install (397.31).

Edit: 1080ti on Win 10

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
Anyone else having issues with the latest Nvidia drivers acting fucking retarded? Every now and then the system acts like it's able to install new drivers and things start acting squirrely, even though my control panel says it's running the same drivers it's trying to install (397.31).

Yup! Known issue with 397.31. Go here and install these: GeForce Hotfix Driver Version 397.55 | NVIDIA

• 1Solidarity

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I'm going to get the Ryzen 5 1700 cpu and possibly this mobo, ASRock Fatal1ty X370 GAMING X AM4 unless someone can remcommend a better mobo. I'm also considering the ASRock AB350 Pro4 AM4 AMD Promontory B350 mobo. I want something that I can upgrade to the next generation of Ryzen cpu without any issues. After doing some research there is minimal difference between the 1700, 1700x and 1800 cpu so I'm going with the 1700. Gonna get a GTX 1080 and a Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB liquid cpu cooler. 16GB of G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 2400 that I'll probably OC to 3200.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

Yes...

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
I'm going to get the Ryzen 5 1700 cpu and possibly this mobo, ASRock Fatal1ty X370 GAMING X AM4 unless someone can remcommend a better mobo. I'm also considering the ASRock AB350 Pro4 AM4 AMD Promontory B350 mobo. I want something that I can upgrade to the next generation of Ryzen cpu without any issues. After doing some research there is minimal difference between the 1700, 1700x and 1800 cpu so I'm going with the 1700. Gonna get a GTX 1080 and a Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB liquid cpu cooler. 16GB of G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 2400 that I'll probably OC to 3200.
Uhh go with a 2700 or 2700x. No reason at all to buy a 1700.

• 1Like

Argarth

On the verandah

I've just built a new Ryzen system (see a couple of pages back), did a ton of research, and lots of my own testing since.

Couple of quick things:

If upgrading to next gen is a priority, and you haven't purchased yet, X470 is a no-brainer (over B350 or X370) because of "Precision Boost II".
- the Zen + chips have more headroom, and the 2700X at least, will easily auto-boost to 4.0 or 4.1 GHz (all cores) without any user intervention except a good after-market cooler.
- the older boards/bios don't support PBII (yet, and may never) so you will have to manually over-clock, and won't achieve the same thermal/voltage outcomes.

Don't buy RAM for Ryzen unless it's on the QVL (supported list) for the motherboard of your choice, ESPECIALLY if you're thinking of over-clocking it.
- on Ryzen + it's probably not worth it anyway, since the published benefits were mostly seen with the older Ryzen CPUs. (unless you throw a ton of $$$ at it)

None of these decisions can be made in a vacuum of course, so your preferred monitor resolution, and what you do with your PC might affect the choices somewhat.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
Looking for feedback before I pull the trigger on this budget gaming PC I want to put together for my 15 year old son. I haven't built one in 10+ years, so looking forward to it. Definitely trying to keep to this budget range ($1000 with monitor and mouse+keyboard). The CPU and MB are already purchased because the Microcenter around the corner from my office had a $200 combo deal that was too good to pass up.

Any bad choices here or recommendations for reasonable improvements?

Thanks in advance.

CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor $171.99
Motherboard MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard $80.88
Memory Patriot - Viper Elite 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory $82.99
Storage Western Digital - Blue 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $69.99
Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $43.90
Video Card EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SC GAMING Video Card $304.98
Case Cooler Master - MasterBox 5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $54.99
Power Supply Cooler Master - MasterWatt 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $45.98
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $92.89

Last edited:
  • 1Like

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>

Thanks in advance.

Nice build.
Only potential suggestions might be for tweaking the memory and hd: perhaps for just a few more $ you could squeeze out a little more DDR4 speed (3000) and a 3-4 TB internal/external drive. My kids fill up their space fast. Slightly faster RAM might also be nice if you canibalize for another build or upgrade with Zen2 later. Performance on AM4 seems to scale nicely with both higher frequency and low latency RAM (cas 14/15 timings).

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Looking for feedback before I pull the trigger on this budget gaming PC I want to put together for my 15 year old son. I haven't built one in 10+ years, so looking forward to it. Definitely trying to keep to this budget range ($1000 with monitor and mouse+keyboard). The CPU and MB are already purchased because the Microcenter around the corner from my office had a $200 combo deal that was too good to pass up.

Thanks in advance.

CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor $171.99
Motherboard MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard $80.88
Storage Western Digital - Blue 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $69.99
Video Card EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SC GAMING Video Card $304.98
Case Cooler Master - MasterBox 5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $54.99
Power Supply Cooler Master - MasterWatt 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $45.98
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $92.89

you could hold off getting him a hard drive, if you're just getting him a 1tb for 40bucks seems really bad, price per tb (a good external wd drive usually goes on sale for 150-160 at 8tb), i've also never heard of masterwatt, so maybe a better powersupply like corsair anything.

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
thanks, guys. I'll buy him the first TB as an internal drive, and he can go hog wild with whatever he needs to do after that (on his own dime). 1 TB will be enough to get him started with his paltry music library and a few games.

wilkxus wilkxus : so it's worth another $20 to move to Corsair Vengeance 3000? I'll definitely be cannibalizing this thing as we upgrade and he eventually goes to college

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
How is THIS "- Windows 10: Driver may get removed after PC has been left idle for an extended period of time. " even a fucking thing. Jesus christ Nvidia get your shit together. Was wondering what the hell was going on (have 1070SLI for reference).
My guess would be something in the latest Windows 10 update conflicts with the drivers.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
thanks, guys. I'll buy him the first TB as an internal drive, and he can go hog wild with whatever he needs to do after that (on his own dime). 1 TB will be enough to get him started with his paltry music library and a few games.

wilkxus wilkxus : so it's worth another $20 to move to Corsair Vengeance 3000? I'll definitely be cannibalizing this thing as we upgrade and he eventually goes to college
he's already got 250 on the ssd, i think since he's a kid an external drive would be best, kids these days like to whip around their drives w/ friends and trade that way, why don't you ask him?

you should probably get him the my book series
WD 4TB My Book Desktop External Hard Drive - USB 3.0 - WDBBGB0040HBK-NESN

and not the my passport (thats for mobile laptops, it's lighter and smaller, but it's also a slower laptop drive, whereas mybook is just a regular harddrive in an external case, you have to schlep around a powerbrick, but it's way faster)