Desktop Computers

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I am going to upgrade my mobo/cpu/ram later this summer. What would you recommend?

Depends what you do. If its strictly for gaming, go with latest i7. Its still best for gaming. If you do more than that on your comp, go ryzen 2700x, they are both pretty much on par performance wise, but for multitasking and shit, streaming, photoshop, video encoding, shit like that all around better performer would be Ryzen. In fact Ryzen is cheaper so you get more for your bang IMO. Sure you will lose out 10fps on games, but you gain so much more in multitasking with the extra 2 cores.

The thing with the memory is Basically any 3200 that is CL14 is b-die and it will work. Samsung b-die is the shit that works.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Depends what you do. If its strictly for gaming, go with latest i7. Its still best for gaming. If you do more than that on your comp, go ryzen 2700x, they are both pretty much on par performance wise, but for multitasking and shit, streaming, photoshop, video encoding, shit like that all around better performer would be Ryzen. In fact Ryzen is cheaper so you get more for your bang IMO. Sure you will lose out 10fps on games, but you gain so much more in multitasking with the extra 2 cores.

The thing with the memory is Basically any 3200 that is CL14 is b-die and it will work. Samsung b-die is the shit that works.

Yeah I don't do anything other than entertain myself with games and shit and code/develop shit on my home setup. No video or anything.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
If you go AMD:
  • Any Ryzen 2600 or higher on an X470 MB should be a decent choice, with cheaper X450 Motherboards just around corner this summer.
  • In 2019 can expect upgrade to 7nm Ryzens with decent IPC uplift (10-15% rumoured)
  • I would *avoid* 1x00 Ryzens (both AM4 and Threadripper) because of finicky RAM overclocking compatibility and potential gcc bug (on Linux at least).
In terms of platform upgrades next year AM4 with Zen2 on 7nm performance *should* bring AMD to at least a virtual tie with Intel CoffeLake on desktop so you're probably more or less safe either way for gaming.

Yeah I don't do anything other than entertain myself with games and shit and code/develop shit on my home setup. No video or anything.
You might like extra cores on Ryzen for dev stuff. On Linux, gcc dev tools, VMs perform quite nicely with extra cores. For this summer I would not hesitate to recommend a second gen Ryzen setup.

My Ryzen upgrade has been great so far, Ryzen 2700X with DDR4 3200MHz CL14 RAM worked like a charm out of box with easy BIOS settings for XMP profile RAM OC on the Asus Crosshair VII. (Desktop Computers) . Actually planning on upgrading and consolidating a few more dev & testing systems to both AM4 and Threadripper around end of 2019/20. Just waiting to see how the Threadripper 2 performs and how well Zen 2 Epycs bake out on 7nm in 2019.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lurkingmoar

Molten Core Raider
Also it should be noted that with most games your gpu is going to do most of the heavy lifting if you are gaming at 1440p or higher, so fps start to even out regardless of what cpu(8700k vs 2700x) you go for.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
If you go AMD:
  • Any Ryzen 2600 or higher on an X470 MB should be a decent choice, with cheaper X450 Motherboards just around corner this summer.
  • In 2019 can expect upgrade to 7nm Ryzens with decent IPC uplift (10-15% rumoured)
  • I would *avoid* 1x00 Ryzens (both AM4 and Threadripper) because of finicky RAM overclocking compatibility and potential gcc bug (on Linux at least).
In terms of platform upgrades next year AM4 with Zen2 on 7nm performance *should* bring AMD to at least a virtual tie with Intel CoffeLake on desktop so you're probably more or less safe either way for gaming.

You might like extra cores on Ryzen for dev stuff. On Linux, gcc dev tools, VMs perform quite nicely with extra cores. For this summer I would not hesitate to recommend a second gen Ryzen setup.

My Ryzen upgrade has been great so far, Ryzen 2700X with DDR4 3200MHz CL14 RAM worked like a charm out of box with easy BIOS settings for XMP profile RAM OC on the Asus Crosshair VII. (Desktop Computers) . Actually planning on upgrading and consolidating a few more dev & testing systems to both AM4 and Threadripper around end of 2019/20. Just waiting to see how the Threadripper 2 performs and how well Zen 2 Epycs bake out on 7nm in 2019.

Can you link something that counts as that type of RAM specifically? Google just overwhelms me with shit. If RAM compatibility is so important for AMD I really don't want to order the wrong thing.

• 1Like

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Can you link something that counts as that type of RAM specifically? Google just overwhelms me with shit. If RAM compatibility is so important for AMD I really don't want to order the wrong thing.
Thanks to Big Phoenix Big Phoenix I just used B-Die Finder to find/verify some Bdie SKUs on Newegg etc. Honestly not sure you still need to bother with b-dies for a Ryzen 2700x, I did it just in case. Click the lowest timings you can afford for RAM set size you want.

Note: I'm no expert on overclocking but I Spoilered below what I gathered browsing around a lil before upgrading.
(1) On DDR4 overclocking.... Aim for DDR4 @ at least 3200MHz with CAS 14.

Ryzen performance benefits grealy and scales really well with RAM speed (see (4) Zen Cache & Memory below) This seems to be a common, easy to reach sweet spot for performance without much cost or hassle.

(2) DDR4 DIMM configs. One DIMM per channel:
Important for best chance @ compatibility & success overclocking RAM. Unless they do not make the size, get a singe DIMM per channel even if you have 4 DIMM slots. So on system with 2 channel memory you want:
  • 32 GB get 16GB DIMMs x 2. ( If you got 8 GB DIMMs x 4 (multiple dimms per channel) it *might* work but has a higher chance of complications/failure)
  • 16 GB get 8 GB DIMMs x 2 ( as opposed to 4 GB x 4).
(3) Memory SKU examples for Bdies
(4) Zen L3 & memory
Infinity Fabric runs @ 1/2 DDR4 ram speed (something AMD uses to fetch L3 data between cores on different L3 clusters/CCXs)
Increase RAM speed and all those L3 cache fetches run faster too. Big deal for Zen especially if your application is not optimized to be NUMA aware for Zen (like most games). Better L3 fetches means more FPS, as shit all fetches faster without fiddling or optimizing.

(edit) spell/grmr

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
43" 4k or 35" Gsync 1080p?

Preparing for Monster Hunter.

Have some specific monitors in mind? Refresh rates? What are the specs on your computer?

Personally, I would lean towards the 1080p if it's 144hz so you can push the frame rate as close to that as possible. A 1440p might be a good middle ground.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
This monitor.

Specs:

aaaaa.jpg

Ark

Trakanon Raider
G-Sync is an absolute godsend. 1440p G-Sync with a 144hz monitor ( What I've used for the last 2 years ) is the only thing I would get right now or in the next few years. Downsample individual games with GeForce Experience for increased resolution as wanted. 120+FPS with everything on Ultra beats out 4k at 30-50 FPS for me.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
No way 1080p for 35 inches, way too small resolution for that size. I have a 27 inch 1080p screen and even that is a little too big.

• 1Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Hmmm I am def looking at that monitor. Brahma Brahma I've got a very nice Samsung 4k thats great for Console and when I want amazing graphics in a SP like Forza or Witcher.

I can say it will be nice to have both since I got this Amazon Monitor Arm which is wonderful.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
My only argument against that monitor would be it only having a 100hz refresh rate. Being an ultrawide 1440p monitor it would probably be fairly hard to hit 100 fps without dialing down the graphics a bit though. It's pretty much up to personal preference.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
My only argument against that monitor would be it only having a 100hz refresh rate. Being an ultrawide 1440p monitor it would probably be fairly hard to hit 100 fps without dialing down the graphics a bit though. It's pretty much up to personal preference.

Yep I’m probably going to get a Benq 144hz.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

I don't expect to hit 100FPS at that resolution, even with a 1080ti. I thought the purpose of the G-Sync was to keep the gaming buttery smooth even when you dip.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I don't expect to hit 100FPS at that resolution, even with a 1080ti. I thought the purpose of the G-Sync was to keep the gaming buttery smooth even when you dip.

I thought you were just referencing a Warren G & 50 cent mashup.

• 1Worf

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Went to Microcenter....snagged the Predator. Aaaaaand EVGA 1080ti has fuckin display port issues. Can NOT get this fuckin DP to work!!! AAAARRRGGG!!