Desktop Computers

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
got the EVGA GTX 1050Ti with 4 gigs of ram. Rise of TOmb Raider runs super smooth now with all setttings maxxed out

p.s. eat shit, mist.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Hey Im trying to upgrade my old desktop so play some of the games that came out last few years like Arkham Knight and Rise of the Tomb Raider

Heres the current specs on CPU, memory and graphics card. My CPU and RAM seems to be sufficient but the games run pretty sluggishly even with resolution reduced and all effects turned off. I think all I need to update is the graphics card. Am I wrong here or do I need to add RAM and swap CPU out too?

If all I need is a new graphics card, what do you recommend thats a good value these days? Dont need some $24,000 HP Quadro GV100

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: XPS 8500
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3350P CPU @ 3.10GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8154MB RAM
Page File: 2193MB used, 7879MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
---------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 620
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GT 620
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Type: Full Device (POST)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1049&SUBSYS_097710DE&REV_A1
Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER]
Device Problem Code: No Problem
Driver Problem Code: Unknown
Display Memory: 4045 MB
Dedicated Memory: 973 MB
Shared Memory: 3071 MB
Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)

I’d make sure your power supply isn’t shit. Dell is notorious for that. If it isn’t, make sure it had the power plugs for a newer GPU. You will need at least 1 6-8pin power, maybe 2 depending on the GPU you choose.

The CPU is ok but could bottleneck some games. The RAM is sufficient. 16gb would be better.

Overall a new GPU and some more RAM should hold you a bit longer. If the PSU is trash, just build a new system now. Dell uses too many proprietary parts to hassle with it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Edit - oops didn't read ahead you already got it. I use a 1050ti on my work computer to game with when not on my gaming computer. Works well at 1080p for most games I've tried it with. I was gifted it and at the time I looked it up it was $149, not sure what they run now with the price increase.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
That crazy low timing Team Dark ram (DDR4 3200 Cas-14) is for sale for 170, really wanting to buy it but afraid it's going to get cheaper when I'm ready to buy the rest of the stuff in Nov.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
That crazy low timing Team Dark ram (DDR4 3200 Cas-14) is for sale for 170, really wanting to buy it but afraid it's going to get cheaper when I'm ready to buy the rest of the stuff in Nov.

I'm so close to biting on 8700k+mobo+32gb of ddr4, but I'm just so against paying these prices on ram.

I gotta do something soon, my 2500k is holding my GTX1070 back.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hekotat

What is a good 27" 1440 144hz monitor going for these days? Considering going balls out and getting one for my main monitor and keeping my 70hz 27" for a secondary. It must have a Vesa mount.

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
I'm so close to biting on 8700k+mobo+32gb of ddr4, but I'm just so against paying these prices on ram.

I gotta do something soon, my 2500k is holding my GTX1070 back.

What are you doing that you need 32GB of RAM? 16GB is more than enough for gaming.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
What are you doing that you need 32GB of RAM? 16GB is more than enough for gaming.

When I purchased my 2500k in 2011 I bought 8GB with it. A year later I upgraded to 16gb, but by then it was impossible to find identical RAM. I got the closest I could, but the slight mismatching in timings led to some issues with overclocking, so I had to back off my OC from 4.6 to 4.3ghz.

Considering my current system's CPU/Mobo/RAM has lasted 7 years, I want to throw in 32gb upfront so I know it's all matched and will be enough for 5-7 years down the road.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
When I purchased my 2500k in 2011 I bought 8GB with it. A year later I upgraded to 16gb, but by then it was impossible to find identical RAM. I got the closest I could, but the slight mismatching in timings led to some issues with overclocking, so I had to back off my OC from 4.6 to 4.3ghz.

Considering my current system's CPU/Mobo/RAM has lasted 7 years, I want to throw in 32gb upfront so I know it's all matched and will be enough for 5-7 years down the road.

I see your logic, but why pay so much more for RAM that you probably won't need, and a mismatch cost you 300Mhz in the past. 300Mhz isn't game changing. Think about that.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I kind of hate people saying "whats the point of all that RAM." Like asking the guy in the Ferrari why he needs that engine if he's just driving the speed limit everyday. It's like people have a permanent investment in people buying RAM.

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
RAM is more like how big the ferrari is, cpu is how fast. You could buy an RV ferrari, but why?

Hekotat

RAM is more like how big the ferrari is, cpu is how fast. You could buy an RV ferrari, but why?

If he plans on streaming at all and playing music it's not a bad idea.

Streaming drags my 4670k down to shit levels to the point where i can't do it anymore. I honestly don't know why I even try to stream anyways, running 1440p and them showing it at 720p makes it look like hot garbage, I couldn't even read the text shown in game. It was just a blurry mess of chaos.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
If he plans on streaming at all and playing music it's not a bad idea.

This. At any time I'm running a game, random background software, discord, outlook, RDP session to my server, firefox with a bunch of tabs including youtube, and sometimes VLC playing a movie. My Firefox alone is usually 3-4gb. Hell, at this moment my work computer is at 60% usage of 16gb of Ram, and that's with Outlook, Ticketing software, Discord, 3 remote sessions and Firefox running.

I'm not going to say anything over 16gb is totally necessary, but it's also not that big of a stretch. And considering I intend to not upgrade again for 6+ years it's totally justifiable.

Last edited:

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick

Neither metaphor is exactly right, as the extra RAM is not really bogging down the system. I just think if one has the means, there's no real reason to not get the extra.

That said, I use a 6700k and 16GB and stream WoW at 1080p and never really get bogged down. I've never had a moment where more RAM would've helped me.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
That said, I use a 6700k and 16GB and stream WoW at 1080p and never really get bogged down. I've never had a moment where more RAM would've helped me.

For the record I'm not arguing my current 16gb of ram is limiting my performance at all. It's totally a CPU bottleneck. I just want to avoid adding mismatched RAM at a later date.