Desktop Computers

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I wonder if I can sell off my pair of 1080Ti's for the $500/ea I bought em for and drop on the 2080FE, unless it's gonna be $1299 like the 1080 was. What's the release date?

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Only double the price if you're talking Founders Edition Preorder prices. It's actually less than 50% more, since the stock AIB partner 2080tis are going to be $899 now apparently.
I'm curious on the source on this as well. I mean I personally am holding off to see benchmarks and see what really happens with the price after launch, but it'd be nice to know

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I just can't see even Nvidia thinking people would pay $300 more for a FE when they're always inferior to a good AIB card.
I didn't say a good AIB card. I said the stock models. Once you add the bells and whistles you're paying at least 90+ dollars more. I bet many brands don't even end up offering the stock models.

Also the FE cooler is supposedly very good and very quiet this time around, but certainly not 300 dollars good.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I didn't say a good AIB card. I said the stock models. Once you add the bells and whistles you're paying at least 90+ dollars more. I bet many brands don't even end up offering the stock models.

Also the FE cooler is supposedly very good and very quiet this time around, but certainly not 300 dollars good.

I'm going to assume you mean base model when you're saying stock model, as I don't think I've heard stock used in reference to card versions before. If so, then yeah, the usual base model is pretty comparable to a FE, in which case the price discrepancy you're talking about would be even more usual. I tried googling for AIB prices and the 899 figure but can't find anything. Do you have a link to what you saw? Not trying to pick apart what you're saying, I'm genuinely interested in the pricing for the AIB's

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'm going to assume you mean base model when you're saying stock model, as I don't think I've heard stock used in reference to card versions before. If so, then yeah, the usual base model is pretty comparable to a FE, in which case the price discrepancy you're talking about would be even more usual. I tried googling for AIB prices and the 899 figure but can't find anything. Do you have a link to what you saw? Not trying to pick apart what you're saying, I'm genuinely interested in the pricing for the AIB's
I'm saying stock because it's the stock cooler.

The FEs do not use the stock/reference cooler this time around, because Nvidia wants people to actually buy them instead of laughing at them. The FE's also do not run at the stock/reference speeds either.

I can't find where I saw that pricing chart, it was while I was at work.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Alright, so I imagine that the "reference" cards from Nvidia will be equivalent to what a base model AIB card would be, and their FE would be something like Gigabyte's xtreme version. This is doubly confusing because Nvidia switched from using reference to FE a bit ago. They're essentially doing their own premium card this time around.

That's still $100 above that supposed AIB price though

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah the 899 number was probably a typo somewhere. I think it was Anandtech or Pcperspective because those are what I usually read at work.

I want to see what prices are at between Thanksgiving and New Years. I'm sure you'll be able to grab some kind of deal during that stretch, if supply remains high. Then again, you'll be able to find 10-series cards real cheap by then. :p

• 1Like

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I wonder how much the ekwb waterblocks will be. I see the price has climbed from about 130 to 200 dollars on the 10 series of cards over the last year. I'd rather buy the regular 2080ti and then slap a waterblock on it from the same price as the FE.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
There's going to be a hike in the prices for a lot of PC stuff within the next month due to the tariff shit, upwards of 27% in some cases. Worth keeping in mind if you're planning on buying something soon.

Argarth

On the verandah
Been lamenting the pricing of GSync monitors recently, and haven't been able to find one with my preferred specs anyway. However, I've pretty much resigned myself to buying one sooner or later, and thought I might as well become "fully informed" before I finally pull the trigger.

Well... I tripped over this along the way, and if you've been living under a rock lately like I obviously have been, you might have also missed it...!
RTSS 7.2 Beta does "tearingless" VSync OFF

A few months ago, Unwinder, the author of Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) added some completely new features. Its fractional frame limiter and OSD features have always been useful, but this new development is really next level brilliant. Without repeating too much of what you can read for yourself, I'll paraphrase a few of the explanations as best I can.

For those of us that still don't have either GSync or FreeSync, and the "minimal input lag & tearing free experience" that comes with them, we can at least have the next best thing.

It's now possible to run with VSync turned OFF, have RTSS cap frame-rate to the monitor's EXACT refresh rate, fix the resultant tearing line/zone to a specific location on the screen, AND then move it off-screen to the Vertical Blanking Interval (VBI) between frames, so it's never seen again.

He's also added an optional "Adaptive Sync" feature that can be toggled SEPARATELY. It can be set to work automatically, or with a user defined threshold. (edit): I tested this using the Metro Redux benchmark, because it plots its own FPS/Time chart. It functions as advertised, and I've had zero problems with it so far. (unlike Nvidia's in a couple of games.)

It's all snake oil magic and it really fucking WORKS. You need a "beefy" GPU (mainly for taxing modern games as there is some overhead), a high poll-rate mouse, and the game must be able to run in Full-Screen Exclusive mode. With the titles I've tested so far, it works flawlessly with zero artifacts/micro-stutter, and rock solid frame pacing. I've ditched all my old RTSS game profiles, as they're no longer required.

I notice the extra responsiveness even in DOOM, which has always run fast and buttery smooth for me anyway (under Vulkan). That Engine & API are works of art in my book. The biggest revelation however has been Ghost Recon Wildlands. It would never play nice with the old RTSS frame limiter, or NVidia Adaptive Sync; and because it taxes the 1080Ti to ~70% with VSync on even when idle, I wasn't sure if I would see much improvement. However, it works a treat, no stutter, and gun-play has drastically improved, especially in a firefight.

I can't believe it. This is the most exciting bit of geek gaming tech I've seen in ages, and it's free.:emoji_thumbsup:Beta is now up to Version 5, link on page 66: RTSS 7.2 Beta Version 5.0
(edit): Another helpful link: RTSS Beta 5 discussion

Added some screen-shots of my NVidia CP, RTSS, Config file settings, and the OSD stats that are available, for those who might be interested.

nvcp.PNG
global.PNG

rtss.PNG
scan.PNG

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I need a new PC and I just don't have the time build one right now. Can anyone recommend a reputable company that will build one for me without all the bloatware shit?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I bought dells before and just upgraded gfx card. This one seems pretty good...Comes with a 1050 which you can probably just ebay and get a 1070 or 1080...

Dell Canada Official Site | Dell Canada

i7
16 gig ram
dual HD

Just uninstall all the bullshit and do a fresh install of win 10 you can get from reddit for $50.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Just uninstall all the bullshit and do a fresh install of win 10 you can get from reddit for $50.

No need to do that when you already have a license for that machine. Win10 has the fresh start option which will reinstall itself with a clean version that just has the usual windows store crapware that you need to uninstall.