Desktop Computers

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
The WoW mods/UI layer is all written in LUA and heavily CPU bound. Add more cores.
Ongoing joke about my UI being too complicated. I know. I'm running a 4930K so that's one of my major bottlenecks.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
It works for me. Undoubtedly impacts my framerate, though. My gaming rig is getting pretty old, I need to update it someday, but I have kids and no money. Derp.

All the UI comments have actually gotten me to revisit some of it, but it's still pretty busy.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I'm not wanting to do anything crazy. I lucked out finding a 4K monitor at a thrift shop for 16 bucks. I just assumed there existed a sub $300 video card that could run WoW at 4K. Guess not!

If you have a costco near you and have a sub, they have a 32" dell 1080p IPS thats fucking nice for less than $200. Thats what I have and I love it, it also doubles as a TV when I want to watch twitch or netflix from my couch.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Nvidia hit an all-time high stock price yesterday and are up 50% for the year despite the shaky Turing launch. Shit is going to be bad for PC gamers when it comes to price & innovation if AMD or Intel can't get their shit together fast. We really don't need another situation like we saw with CPU's due to Intel's dominance.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Nvidia hit an all-time high stock price yesterday and are up 50% for the year despite the shaky Turing launch. Shit is going to be bad for PC gamers when it comes to price & innovation if AMD or Intel can't get their shit together fast. We really don't need another situation like we saw with CPU's due to Intel's dominance.

Yep all we get is stagnation in innovation and high prices. Just look at intel recent core series. We finally saw some shit change (6+ core) when AMD started to catch up. Its literally been 7 generations of core series with marginal gains each.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I'd like to give AMD another shot, it has been a very long time. Hopefully their next round puts up. I'd rather support them because of things like FreeSync. I'm at the point of fuck buying a 20 series

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Been looking at various parts and stuff since I'll be building a PC by the end of the year or so. It's pretty funny how little choice there is for a case that doesn't have all these fucking stupid ass lights or transparent facades so you can see all the stupid lights on all the fucking parts. It's been a while since I bought a PC but goddamn this shit is everywhere now. I just want a big black box with a few buttons on it. I did find some by looking a bit but damn are they rare now. I really don't get the appeal of making a computer light up like a gay pride christmas tree

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Been looking at various parts and stuff since I'll be building a PC by the end of the year or so. It's pretty funny how little choice there is for a case that doesn't have all these fucking stupid ass lights or transparent facades so you can see all the stupid lights on all the fucking parts. It's been a while since I bought a PC but goddamn this shit is everywhere now. I just want a big black box with a few buttons on it. I did find some by looking a bit but damn are they rare now. I really don't get the appeal of making a computer light up like a gay pride christmas tree

Fractal makes some good cases without much nonsense. Define C I have the window version of this and it's pretty great. Compact, but doesn't waste space.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Ive got a Corsair 230T in orange that I love. The front fans being orange LED lit actually looks like a space heater.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Fractal makes some good cases without much nonsense. Define C I have the window version of this and it's pretty great. Compact, but doesn't waste space.
Ah I did see talks about Define cases but hadn't looked into it much, that does look good, I'll bookmark this for later thanks.

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I have a Fractal Define R4. Great case for minimal black box look.

Very quiet as well.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I have the Define R5. It's a nice and quiet black box. I would definitely recommend a Fractal case to anyone looking for a non obnoxious looking case.

• 1Like

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
I like the Antec Three Hundred I bought ten years ago.
Some people say it's a bitch to cable manage it but I'm not a tidy person anyway.

There's a followup version now, "Three hundred two"

• 1Solidarity

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Same. Antec 300 I bought close to 10 years ago. Basic no frills large case. Cable management I've never had an issue I just zip tie the stuff out of the way. It's probably not great for a system that need maximum air flow and cooling. But a no frills box it works ok. If I built a new one I'd get a smaller case.

• 1Solidarity

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
tbh now that I've looked at them I'd probably pick a Fractal case these days. Prices are pretty close and they are quite a bit nicer than my old Antec.
Too bad cases don't go bad over time.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Ended up buying through Xidax and it was very competitive with Newegg, but they build it for me. Here is what I got and it is totally overkill for anything I will ever do. Best part is the lifetime warranty.

Case:
Nexus
Motherboard:
ASUS PRIME Z370-P ATX
Processor:
Intel® Six Core™ i7-8700K Processor Six Core w/Hyper Threading 3.7GHz-4.7GHz Turbo
Memory:
DDR4 3200MHz G.SKILL Trident Z- 32GB ( 32GB (2x16GB) )
Power Supply:
Corsair CX750M Semi-Modular Power Supply
Optical Drive:
24X DVD-RW Combo
Sound Cards:
Onboard Audio
Graphics Card:
NVIDIA RTX 2080 8GB GDDR6
m.2 SSD:
M.2 Solid State 500GB ( 500GB M.2 )
HDD/SSD:
Western Digital Black 4TB ( 4TB HDD )
Sleeving:
Black Uni-Sleeved Cables ( 1 Graphics Card )
LED Fans:
Corsair LL series RGB fans
CPU Delidding Service:
None
Card Reader:
Internal 5.25" Bay Card Reader
Laser engraving :
None
CPU Cooling:
CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i PRO RGB Water Cooler
Windows 10 Home Premium 64-Bit
Anti-Virus: