Desktop Computers

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
The 1050 is about $150 CAD. The RX 560's I'm seeing are about the same range.

Fuckin' Canada, man

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Why are you doing 2200g if you are also buying a discreet graphics card?

Is it okay just ditch the card altogether and use the onboard graphics on the 2200G?

Kids aren't going to be playing anything insane. Overwatch. Minecraft. Fortnite.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Just from my personal experience with my family. In general my kids and wife never cared/noticed 99% of the upgrades I made to the family PCs and over the years I learned to reuse and pass down parts from my gaming or work builds. Kids especially wont care about load times, most gfx settings, etc etc and just accept it works and looks cool.

1) Consider waiting for upgrade to 1060/570 on sale sometime in new year. Since the RX590 came out 4GB RX 570 sales have dipped as low as RX460 prices and 1050 is not really worth it unless you have an old or get used one cheap. Maybe nab something cheap for Canadian boxing day.

and

2) you can then nix the GPU. Downgrading to iGPU gfx on a Ryzen 2400G might be a better bet for kid games at 720 high or 1080p low/mid settings. Makes for a nice small and cool build (htpc).

3) Since its a kid system, perhaps dump in old HD from your PC and upgrade your system to SSD/NVME or bigger backup. Or use old spare.

4) consider passing down some of those savings towards mini-ITX motherboard and a mini-ITX cube case if the system doubles as htpc. If in half a year or year you decides little guy/girl needs more FPS, can still buy and fit a GPU to max framerates at 1080p 60hz for most games.

ASRock - B450 GAMING-ITX/AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard (B450 GAMING-ITX/AC) - PCPartPicker Canada
Thermaltake Core V1 Extreme Mini ITX Cube Chassis, Compatible with air and Liquid Cooling Builds (CA-1B8-00S1WN-00) - Newegg.ca

Lastly, consider:

"Look kid.... it loads 10 seconds faster! whoa!"
or.....
"Flashy RGB lights"

5) What kids will LOVE (mine all do)!.... RGB lights!

Get some RGB ram, RGB cooler etc, and a case like the Thermaltake that has a Window so they can see it *breathe*. If you have a cleanish build they will see the lights well, especially at night.

• 1Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I'm going to buy that build sans 1050 for now. Can always buy a graphics card later if I don't like the performance.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Is it okay just ditch the card altogether and use the onboard graphics on the 2200G?

Kids aren't going to be playing anything insane. Overwatch. Minecraft. Fortnite.
See the post below yours. I'd upgrade to 2400g and no graphics card and just have them run 720p or maybe 1080p. There are a ton of videos on YouTube that discuss the gaming limitations of the 2x00g AMD processors.

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
Anyone have any experience with these monitors? Price seems good and its everything i want in a monitor rn
content://media/external/file/103246

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
I honestly think they fucked this up and thats why its sold out lolll damn

Screenshot_2018-11-30-19-46-36.png

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
LOL, thats like some DDR2 shit right there, bro. I had one too that I finally replaced with my 2500K back some 8 yrs ago.
i still have an AMD phenom2 x2 modded to x4 as a htpc, how old is it? i have no idea 4 full banks of 2gig memory tho.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Depending how much crack you smoke this might be real.

12c/24t AMD ryzen 2 running at 5ghz for consumer desktop;

• 3Like
  • 1Jonesing
Reactions: 3 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I'm starting to wonder if AMD is actually making real progress on things in both CPU/GPU markets the way NVidia is pushing out shit they probably shouldn't (lol $2500 Titan)

• 1Like