Desktop Computers

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
It depends on how far you're going to be sitting from it and what resolution the monitor will be. PPI and viewing distance angles are what you need to consider
I used a 55inch tv on my desk and was enjoying it before mounting it onto my wall. I have shitty eye site so bigger screen may be better so i dont need to sit so close

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I used a 55inch tv on my desk and was enjoying it before mounting it onto my wall. I have shitty eye site so bigger screen may be better so i dont need to sit so close

This will help you figure out what is optimal for your situation: Copy of Maximum resolution the human eye can see

Then use this to figure out the viewing angles of what you're thinking of getting: Viewing Distance Calculator

Adjust decision based on what viewing angles and how much blurriness in text etc... you're willing to put up with (can put in your previous setup for comparison)

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I havent really dabbled in this stuff since my last pc so im getting lost.
Idk if i should go 34" or 27" or what
Ultra indecisive
Just get the 34", you will not regret it if you liked the 55" TV. This is only for work mind you (a lot of reading/text), depending on your eyes ymmv. For gaming I'm happy with TV size/detail unless Im playing Civilisation. I would suggest adjusting your target monitor size based on resolution. Anything with smaller dot pitch than 24" 1080p is too small for me and wasted on my eyes. If 1080P at 24" is good for you (reading text and seeing detail) then:

(1) @ 1440p aim for 32"+
(2) @ 4k aim for 40"+ or 49" if you can find.

If you have trouble fitting big screen on you desk you might like the M8 arm ( M8 | Adjustable Monitor Arm from Humanscale ). They are a little expensive but wonderfully functional, perfect for an office, even with a small desk, and can carry the weight of even 40-50" monitors (I think up to 40lb or so).

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I cannot imagine sitting a couple feet away from a 55 inch TV. Jesus

It's a quick way to fuck up your neck from constant movement as you move your head to adjust to looking at different areas, and your neck tends to bend back which is really bad for long periods of time.

I use a 49" for my display at the moment and anything less than 3 1/2 feet is not tolerable, with 4 1/2 being the optimal distance

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I bought the 43 TCL 4k tv and am using it right now as a monitor. It's fucking great, I'm not planning on gaming on it really, I generally only do that on my PS4 these days anyways.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
My main monitor is a Dell IPS 32" 1080p. I love the thing. I got a couch right by my computer and is also where I watch all my movies and shows and shit.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Lol... Look at all the bad eyes we have on the forum rocking big TV's for computer monitors!

Despite not being closed off in an office setting, more and more it's becoming necessary for me to not be "away" while my kids are around. This has for sure made console gaming more appealing as the wife or I can do that while still being right in the middle of everything and works out a lot better.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Okay friends, talk to me. This arrived, with my 2080, got them both setup (after a heart attack when the card didn't work on first plug in, or on cmos clear, but worked on reseating). What things to do I need to do to get the most of it? I've never had a 1440p monitor, or an ips panel, or any monitor close to this good. Things like color, quality of life for 2k, etc

lol, I got this Thursday night for $550. For curiousity to see if I should have waited till Cyber Monday I just looked, and it's $700. Nailed that one

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
RE: The recent discussion about core count/hyper threading. The new GN video has some good info on how an I5 can suffer compared to an I7 due to lacking HT/as many cores in some games. Worth a watch.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
If anyone is curious about using a TV for your display and how you can manage distances etc...

This is what I currently have set up. (Excuse the dust)

20181127_083229_HDR - Copy.jpg

The drawer units are from Ikea and are also holding up a countertop from Ikea. The drawers are sitting on top of some carpet sliders that make it relatively easy to pull them out, and the top is not connected, so that can also pull back for an extra foot or so by balancing off the edge.

For the most part, I just use it as-is from a recliner for TV/PS4 usage and web browsing. I only pull it out and use the kb/m when playing a game that requires it.

The main drawback is that it's unsightly when it's all pulled out. If I cared about that more, I probably would just use a small easily portable desk to plop down in front of the TV as needed.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

Holy shit that's a good deal.

Crossposting this to a few threads.

EDIT: it's 799.99 when you click on it, not sure why the link is showing 879.99.

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
If anyone is curious about using a TV for your display and how you can manage distances etc...

This is what I currently have set up. (Excuse the dust)

View attachment 184358

The drawer units are from Ikea and are also holding up a countertop from Ikea. The drawers are sitting on top of some carpet sliders that make it relatively easy to pull them out, and the top is not connected, so that can also pull back for an extra foot or so by balancing off the edge.

For the most part, I just use it as-is from a recliner for TV/PS4 usage and web browsing. I only pull it out and use the kb/m when playing a game that requires it.

The main drawback is that it's unsightly when it's all pulled out. If I cared about that more, I probably would just use a small easily portable desk to plop down in front of the TV as needed.

I always look to a clock instead of the thing in front of my face. Computer time is not clock time in the office.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I always look to a clock instead of the thing in front of my face. Computer time is not clock time in the office.

The windows clock is tiny when the desktop is set to 100% scaling, and isn't available when watching a movie or playing a game. The tablet is mostly for other purposes, and is just functioning as a larger clock as a side-benefit

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
New build I finished a couple of weeks ago. Probably went overboard on the lights by most people's standards, but I've always had completely closed cases and wanted to pimp my ride. I thought the build was pretty high performance until I saw Achaeus' build and realized I'm living in the stone age.View attachment 183993

How do games fit a display on a monitor that wide? I could see FPS having some crazy ass FOV settings, but what about everything else?

Louis

Trakanon Raider
How do games fit a display on a monitor that wide? I could see FPS having some crazy ass FOV settings, but what about everything else?

Every game's functionality is different. I usually go to www.wsgf.org and itll tell you how well it works with ultra widescreen/eyefinity setups. Itll also usually have available "hacks" to fix fov and ui problems.

Every fps game Ive played has worked perfectly if I used the flawless widescreen app. Playing Doom on it was probably one of the best gaming experiences I have ever had.

The only game that is a no go for me is dota 2. The edges of the screen make the picture seem bent/distorted, so I end up having to play it scaled down, which is unfortunate as its the game I play the most by a long shot.