Desktop Computers

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
AMD could release something on-par with a 2080ti for half the price and they wouldn't even manage to break 35% market share with it. That's how ingrained Nvidia is into the market.

"AMD? Isn't that for poors?"

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
AMD could release something on-par with a 2080ti for half the price and they wouldn't even manage to break 35% market share with it. That's how ingrained Nvidia is into the market.

True, but that huge of a jump in market share would scare the shit out of nVidia, and maybe have them stop being window lickers! (at least that's what I'd hope!)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
True, but just means there is more room for growth for AMD, and more to loose for NVIDIA. Not quite as bad or as much as for Intel, which will loose much more market share this year, but growth looks likely to be decent for AMD on both graphics and CPU side. Takes some time and sustained success before things balance out and we have sane competition again.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Depending how much crack you smoke this might be real.

12c/24t AMD ryzen 2 running at 5ghz for consumer desktop;

Nah, TSMC 7nm is no miracle process (5Ghz @ that TDP?) ... but it is shaping up decently just based on density of what transistors and features they can pack in @ 7nm (15% IPC uplift seems possible). We shall see soon, 2019 should be good year for more AM4 upgrades regardless.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Nah, TSMC 7nm is no miracle process (5Ghz @ that TDP?) ... but it is shaping up decently just based on density of what transistors and features they can pack in @ 7nm (15% IPC uplift seems possible). We shall see soon, 2019 should be good year for more AM4 upgrades regardless.
Yeah I'm a little skeptical. On the one hand those specs are insane but on the other adored is setting himself up for career suicide if it's wrong.

• 1Like

Argarth

On the verandah

I'd be more than happy to take my place in that "poor, 35% market share" demographic... and be humble about it.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
NVME is useless unless you know you specifically need the form factor or the increased speeds for a specific type of application. They make little to no difference when it comes to gaming.

Mick

<Gold Donor>
It doesn't have to be that particular one, but i am looking for a m.2 nvme 1tb drive and not a sata one. Looking for something with a decent price to performance ratio.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
It doesn't have to be that particular one, but i am looking for a m.2 nvme 1tb drive and not a sata one. Looking for something with a decent price to performance ratio.

Hit up pcpartpicker. They have an option to filter to M.2 and also sort by $:GB. Performance is something you'll need to manually research.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
As someone still slumming on a 4670k, what's the best card I can get without getting massively bottlenecked? I don't want to deal with the bullshit of a new build right now and basically just want something with 2 display port connections since I have a pg278q (old model, no hdmi) and want to replace my second monitor (the korean IPS ebay scam failed on me years ago so its some POS I stole from work) with a 279q.

Google tells me 1060 6GB is about as far as I can push it and that seems fine as a stopgap until Intel stops rehashing their same cpus over and over and maybe this raytracing meme has a couple years to bake. That sound right? Or can I go a bit higher?

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Nah, you would get benefit of at least a 2070/1080. I have a 4690k myself and use a 980ti. Anything better than that though would be a waste.

Achaeus

Trakanon Raider
Well, with all the deals this weekend, I broke down and ordered myself the parts for a new PC. I will provide pictures and build once it all arrives in a week.

Full Asus 9900k Build

Well, almost all of the parts are in. Asus Thor PSU is back ordered for another few weeks. But I am tired of staring at a pile of parts so I am going to put it together with what I have and install the PSU and custom cables when it arrives. Wish me luck...
Computer Parts 2018.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You know the cat wants to claw all of that to pieces, right. I hope you build it before he/she does.

• 1Worf

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Well, almost all of the parts are in. Asus Thor PSU is back ordered for another few weeks. But I am tired of staring at a pile of parts so I am going to put it together with what I have and install the PSU and custom cables when it arrives. Wish me luck...View attachment 185506

Buy a PSU off of Amazon now and use it for the system to make sure everything works before your RMA/Rebate windows run out, and then return the PSU when the other one arrives. The last thing anyone should do with new PC parts is to wait around to test them.

I'm an idiot and didn't notice the corsair PSU. Nevermind

And grats on the upgrade. Hope it all goes smoothly.

• 1Solidarity

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Wrote same thing until I noticed at the cat glaring at the PSU. Always good to put stuff together and break it in with stress tests asap.