Desktop Computers

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
I bought a bigger (but still cheap) air cooler for my new Ryzen 2200G and overclocked the CPU to 3.8 GHz and the GPU to 1500 MHz. Not too shabby, lil Ryzen.
What kind of ram did you get for it? curious what kind of benchmark your getting. I just bought a 2400g for a work comp.
I had such a hard time setting it up though, the IGPU was getting resource conflict errors until I fully upgraded windows and it, turns out the 3200 mhz ram was unstable at stock voltage.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
[Mist's Brain]
Oh wow, I can't believe it's already been a year since their last Disappointment Build video.

So many things happened since then. My mom died, we got a new ticket system at work... um yeah that's about it.
[/Mist's Brain]

Oh I didn't know that it finally happened, my condolences,
or congratulations? [/spoiler[

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
What kind of ram did you get for it? curious what kind of benchmark your getting. I just bought a 2400g for a work comp.
I had such a hard time setting it up though, the IGPU was getting resource conflict errors until I fully upgraded windows and it, turns out the 3200 mhz ram was unstable at stock voltage.

I got a Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz and a GIGABYTE B450M DS3H mobo.

IIRC all my stress tests kept the CPU in the mid 50 C range.

chantmaster

Lord Nagafen Raider
Keep in mind that you are significantly overclocking the "cpu" when setting the ram to 3200MHz, which almost nobody seem to know.
Its great that motherboards and RAM support something like 4000MHz, you can probably buy a CPU in 15 years time that does too with the recent rates of progress.

As an example, the recent 8086K only supports ddr4-2666.

Intel® Core™ i7-8086K Processor (12M Cache, up to 5.00 GHz) Product Specifications

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Keep in mind that you are significantly overclocking the "cpu" when setting the ram to 3200MHz, which almost nobody seem to know.
Its great that motherboards and RAM support something like 4000MHz, you can probably buy a CPU in 15 years time that does too with the recent rates of progress.

As an example, the recent 8086K only supports ddr4-2666.

Intel® Core™ i7-8086K Processor (12M Cache, up to 5.00 GHz) Product Specifications

Yeah I was having problems with the i5 9600K as well when I OCed the ram to 3000. So I turned the shit off. The system ran great, but whenever I tried to run a game, it was constant crashes after about 5 min of play with a ram error.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
When I updated my BIOS to the version that officially supports the 8086 @5ghz, trying to run ram at 4000 failed entirely, even bumping the voltage on water cooling. Generally fails to run 3600 with XMP profile enabled, and 3200 is the only solid option, but not the ideal timings of a pair of Trident Z sticks actually rated at 3200 as opposed to 4000. Wasn't worth the effort to trade in with Newegg, and the 0.1% performance doesn't matter anyway. The cost though, I could have saved quite a bit. Oh well. Lesson learned.

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
As someone still slumming on a 4670k, what's the best card I can get without getting massively bottlenecked? I don't want to deal with the bullshit of a new build right now and basically just want something with 2 display port connections since I have a pg278q (old model, no hdmi) and want to replace my second monitor (the korean IPS ebay scam failed on me years ago so its some POS I stole from work) with a 279q.

Google tells me 1060 6GB is about as far as I can push it and that seems fine as a stopgap until Intel stops rehashing their same cpus over and over and maybe this raytracing meme has a couple years to bake. That sound right? Or can I go a bit higher?

so i just said fuck it and bought a black 2080ti for 999. sitting here in my hands

not sure if I'm opening it or selling it

still got the 4670k though ive bought a couple parts. waiting on CES before buying any other core pieces tho

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So what's people's expectations for how long a processor is going to last. I recently bought from a friend, a Ryzen 1700 processor, and the motherboard and tested/working 16gb of RAM to go with it. Was a great upgrade to my i5-2500k that I had, like so many here. We ran that shit for a really long time.

In a year, when I expect to upgrade my video card + monitors from GTX 970, and 1080p 60hz, to nVidia 30 series, or hopefully AMD equivalent, and 1440p, 144hz, am I going to wish I would upgrade my processor as well? Or are processors set to last a long time again?

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
You will probably not need to for a while if you used an i5-2500K that long. SinceAM4 is supposed to be supported until 2020 you should get some decent upgrade options to go from Ryzen 1700x to some sort of Ryzen 4x00 beast. So perhaps through 2021/22?

You might want to plop in a 7nm AM4 upgrade in a few months though. CES in a few days is supposed to spill some beans on launch specs of new AMD Ryzen 3x00 CPUs (7nm Zen 2 cores). Zen 2 designs are rumoured to offer a significant IPC (10-15%) upgrade in addition to more cores (up to 16 on AM4), and a frequency bump. If these rumours are close to mark you can probably expect close to parity single thread performance with Intel. For a short while at least before 10nm Intel silicon arrives in 2020.

More cores are not really needed yet but they should push down the prices of 8 & 16 core chips.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So what's people's expectations for how long a processor is going to last. I recently bought from a friend, a Ryzen 1700 processor, and the motherboard and tested/working 16gb of RAM to go with it. Was a great upgrade to my i5-2500k that I had, like so many here. We ran that shit for a really long time.

In a year, when I expect to upgrade my video card + monitors from GTX 970, and 1080p 60hz, to nVidia 30 series, or hopefully AMD equivalent, and 1440p, 144hz, am I going to wish I would upgrade my processor as well? Or are processors set to last a long time again?
I would want to upgrade my CPU every 4-5 years

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

If its a higher end cpu, 5 years is a good bet.

Bought a i7 920 back in 2009. During its use it had two motherboards die and I only replaced it due to buying a x58 board after the second one dying simply wasnt worth it.

Bought a 4690k in 2014 and havent had any issues with the parts I bought, but its definitely showing its age now

Ill be buying a Ryzen 3000 series processor day one, so 5 years between upgrades here. Im kind of shocked but the 1tb samsung hdd I bought back in early 2009 is still working. Praying like hell it holds out until I upgrade.

Louis

Trakanon Raider

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
That's nice to see. I honestly thought they were going to be pig headed about it despite something like 80% of vrr monitors being freesync and the literal industry standard being the same. It's also nice to see due to the extensive number of issues with gsync they seem to be unable or unwilling to fix.