Desktop Computers

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Great news, unless you're a schmuck like me who retardedly paid the Gsync premium a year ago

There are gsync variants of monitors in production with up to a $400 premium, plus I know at least one of the "approved" monitors is $150-200 more than its freesync equivalent. I wonder what's going to happen in these cases. The gsync boards have already been paid for by the manufacturers, so it's not like they can just slash the prices, but will there be enough uninformed purchasers to not make the models a complete flop?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>

TLDR: On par with 1070ti for $350. No good for 4k, passable 1440p, good 1080p HRR. Can't handle stable 60fps in bfv with rtx-low on. Bit of a power hog compared to previous gen equivalent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Louis

Trakanon Raider
@Dom you seem well versed with monitor knowledge. Do you know what the actual difference would be between the new gsync certified monitors versus ones not certified but turned on manually?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
@Dom you seem well versed with monitor knowledge. Do you know what the actual difference would be between the new gsync certified monitors versus ones not certified but turned on manually?

Well, certified ones are going to be ones they have manually tested to meet:

Announcing G-SYNC Compatible Monitors and BFGD Pre-Orders
G-SYNC Compatible testing validates that the monitor does not show blanking, pulsing, flickering, ghosting or other artifacts during VRR gaming. They also validate that the monitor can operate in VRR at any game frame rate by supporting a VRR range of at least 2.4:1 (e.g. 60Hz-144Hz), and offer the gamer a seamless experience by enabling VRR by default.

That a monitor is not certified could mean that it fails that criteria, or that they just haven't tested it yet. (most likely case) In practice, it likely won't mean much of anything to most end-users unless they fall into sync range issues which haven't really been a problem since the early days of freesync.

Edit: Also to note. Most gsync monitors technically don't even pass their own certification standards as there has been endless amounts of flickering/pacing issues with windows10/drivers and gsync for over a year now.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

matsb84

Silver Knight of the Realm
Any suggestions for a 32" monitor? I saw the Samsung U32H850UMN was mentioned here..any other suggestions?

I'm currently using a BenQ XL2720..its not bad at all, just looking for something slightly bigger, but not enormous. Mostly used for gaming.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I just bought mine on Black Friday and I'm extremely happy with the monitor, so I'm okay having paid for it. Life goes on.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I want my next monitor to be a 34" widescreen I think. Hopefully see some of those in the list by then.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>

This is what a bad one can look like. Outside of universal problems like this though, there shouldn't be any difference. Freesync is Freesync, and a certified good monitor isn't going to be any better or worse than an uncertified good monitor when it comes to its VRR capabilities (other than different ranges which is also not related to the certification)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Argarth

On the verandah
Yeah, some of the commentary in that video is a little misleading. How on earth do they know that monitor is going to behave the same way with an AMD card? They didn't even test it, and if (paired with AMD) it did behave that way/couldn't be resolved, it would be straight back to the vendor for mine.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Yeah, some of the commentary in that video is a little misleading. How on earth do they know that monitor is going to behave the same way with an AMD card? They didn't even test it, and if it did behave that way/couldn't be resolved, it would be straight back to the vendor for mine.

Because the things that are causing that are faults in the monitor itself that makes it react that way to the syncing. It wouldn't matter what card is used. If you look at comments on the video on reddit etc... people are pointing out the actual monitors they are as they're already well-known problem monitors.

Goatface

I am having a run of bad luck and money is tight. My ancient 10 year old PC died along with my laptop.
Can anyone help with bargain basement motherboard-cpu-ram setup
Not gaming. Just surfing, downloading and running plex. Need onboard video as
Video card crapped out a while back too.
Will this psu still work with modern motherboards?
BFG Tech BFGR650PSU 650W ATX12V V2.0 / EPS 12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply - Newegg.com
Live out in sticks so no shot of getting anything local
I just don't know what is good cheap and cheap garbage anymore

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
Great news, unless you're a schmuck like me who retardedly paid the Gsync premium a year ago
Ive been looking at monitors for a .month or two now I was going to get for xmas. Didnt get one because too indecisive which I guess paid off because I was pretty much only going to get a gsync one.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I am having a run of bad luck and money is tight. My ancient 10 year old PC died along with my laptop.
Can anyone help with bargain basement motherboard-cpu-ram setup
Not gaming. Just surfing, downloading and running plex. Need onboard video as
Video card crapped out a while back too.
Will this psu still work with modern motherboards?
BFG Tech BFGR650PSU 650W ATX12V V2.0 / EPS 12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply - Newegg.com
Live out in sticks so no shot of getting anything local
I just don't know what is good cheap and cheap garbage anymore

The psu will work.

I have an old 5870 laying around that would work for just basic usage If you're Canadian and would be willing to pay for shipping

Goatface

The psu will work.

I have an old 5870 laying around that would work for just basic usage If you're Canadian and would be willing to pay for shipping
Thanks for the offer
But down in the states

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user