Desktop Computers

Fucker

Log Wizard
Yep
4 cores in a compute complex (CCX) still.
Zen 2 has double L3 Cache per CCX though ! (16MB instead of 8MB)

* See Zen 2 Architecture @ Hexus.net
See CCX size @ Anandtech

Correct, those 4 cores already share the same single L3 cache. Only CPU to GPU communication goes over Infinity Fabric in APUs. Just remember that 2x00G APUs utilize Zen 1 cores. The upcoming 3x00G APUs utilize Zen 1 + cores (same as 2700x). Next years 4x00G APUs should utilize Zen 2 cores. Not known yet if these Zen2 APU will be on its own 4/8 core chiplet with a GPU chiplet or a monolithic Zen2+ GPU die. If next gen APUs have more than 4 cores they will like this patch.

You wont. But anyone with a multiple CCX configuration will see more predictable results with less inter CCX L3 ping pong. It should lift min fps some in games.

I wonder if Cinebench R20 nT is a different build than what's on their website now. My 2600 w/16 GB 3200 ram hits 2886 in the current R20 build on their website.

Mike_Clark-Next_Horizon_Gaming-CPU_Architecture_06092019-page-015_575px.jpg

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Things have progressed quite a bit since the original Ryzen memory problems & bugs. Wonder how long before we get HBM2 or hybrid based APUs?

Only slightly disappointing thing so far with Zen2 is the rollback of PCIe 4 upgradability on X470 boards.... they say you can *try* it with older BIOSes if youre adventurous, but it might be a lil risky playing corruption games on an NVMe pcie4 ssd lol. Time will tell I guess. First time AMD finds itself leading Intel in so many areas so def. a good move by AMD, would be nasty if people started whining about data corruption issues on their brand spanking new Zen2 upgrades hehe.

Argarth

On the verandah
I found the same thing in the few benches I ran. It feels smoother, though.

Well, after installing the latest MB BIOS and 1903 chip-set driver package, didn't see any improvements worth noting in the handful of gaming benchmarks I ran. Not really surprised since I wasn't testing at 1080p, (Ultrawide) and don't have much in the way of "hard' CPU limited games in my library anyway.

Oddly enough Cinebench R20.060 saw a consistent ~ 2% increase. I do agree though, 1903 does feel "smoother", "snappier" or some other such word. =)

Argarth

On the verandah
Clean installs generally feel snappier anyway.
Agreed, however my last clean install was 1809. It takes me several hours to set things "just right" with a new installation, (and I've always got multiple images on hand) so I decided to upgrade this time around.

Since it all went so smoothly and has performed flawlessly ever since, I decided to stick with it. Scheduler changes or some other reason(s)? Who knows.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Hah clean installs. Ive been running the same install of windows for 5 years now.

Ryzen 3000 going to be a huge upgrade for me.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Agreed, however my last clean install was 1809. It takes me several hours to set things "just right" with a new installation, (and I've always got multiple images on hand) so I decided to upgrade this time around.

Since it all went so smoothly and has performed flawlessly ever since, I decided to stick with it. Scheduler changes or some other reason(s)? Who knows.

I did back to back fresh installs of 180x and 1903, and 1903 is altogether crisp compared to 180x on my Ryzen box. I didn't notice anything on my Intel boxes. I'm pretty sure their scheduler fixes are baked into 1903, and not driver specific.

Either way, I'm going to grab the 12c/24t as soon as it is available.

I have an AM4 conversion kit coming from Noctua that will let me fit my NH-D14 onto the AM4 platform. $8. Notctua coolers are super fucking quiet, so I'll be able to specify an aggressive fan setting so the 12c/24t will stay at max GHz for longer.

Argarth

On the verandah
I did back to back fresh installs of 180x and 1903, and 1903 is altogether crisp compared to 180x on my Ryzen box. I didn't notice anything on my Intel boxes. I'm pretty sure their scheduler fixes are baked into 1903, and not driver specific.

Either way, I'm going to grab the 12c/24t as soon as it is available.

I have an AM4 conversion kit coming from Noctua that will let me fit my NH-D14 onto the AM4 platform. $8. Notctua coolers are super fucking quiet, so I'll be able to specify an aggressive fan setting so the 12c/24t will stay at max GHz for longer.

The 12 core looks very nice indeed. I'm going to try to be somewhat patient (lol) and wait until all the dust has settled. To be honest I should probably wait for Zen 3. =)

I have an NH-U12P on my 2700x with 2 x Noctua fans in push- pull. (Yeah, that AM4 kit is a steal; at first I thought the price must have been a mistake!) Works very well and is super quiet even under heavy load, to the point that more fan speed/noise doesn't help much. I've had that thing for years, and doubt that I'll ever need another.

Last edited:

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
I am looking at buying a PC and just getting a builder to build it. Got it quoted, I want a 1tb of SSD and some little other change but this is this lay out of the rig.

Case:
Spectrum Dark
Motherboard:
MSI MPG Z390 EDGE AC
Processor:
INTEL CORE i9 9900k 8C/16T 5.0GHz
Memory:
Xidax Extreme DDR4 2666MHz Memory - 16GB ( 16GB (2x8GB) )
Power Supply:
SEASONIC FOCUS GOLD 750W
Graphics Card:
NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6 ( Choose )
m.2 SSD:
M.2 Solid State 500GB ( 500GB M.2 )
HDD/SSD:
Western Digital Blue 1TB - 7200RPM 3.5" HDD ( 1TB HDD )
CPU Cooling:
Xidax 670LT CPU Cooler
CPU Paste:
Standard CPU Thermal Paste
GPU Paste:
Standard Graphics Card Thermal Paste
Windows 10 Home Premium 64-Bit
Anti-Virus:
Xidax Gaming Shield - Virus & Malware Protection
T-Shirt:
Xidax Large
Support
Lifetime U.S. based tech support and customer service by Xidax technicians

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
They do, but monitors tend to have a bunch of misleading marketing/stats with them. Will have to wait until they're tested by a place like tftcentral.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So what are is best 1440p/4k monitors? Might pickup one of the revised Nvidia cards next month and Ill need a new monitor to go with as my current one is a 27 inch 1080p.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
old ass htpc, i think it's a phenom2, randomly shuts, either at idle or movie or whatever. i'll see if the tim is dried out, i'm sure the powersupply is probably shot, ordered a seasonic