Desktop Computers

Lurkingmoar

Molten Core Raider
AMD Ryzen 2700 3.2
Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 33.84 cpu cooler
MSI - X470 Gaming Pro Carbon ATX Am4 Mobo
G Skill Trident Z 16 GB DDR4-3733
Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB M.2
Nvida 2060 (I havent looked too hard yet, but I dont recall seeing any 8 gig ones?)
Some Random case for 120 bucks
EVGA power supply G2 650

Any changes ver_21 ver_21 ?

Its roughly 1400-1500 dollars. Not where I wanted to be, but not terrible either.

I just tested that cooler on my 2700X and it was struggling to keep it cool. Emergency shut off on the system while gaming due to temps reaching 70c-80c. At best that should be used for a 6 core Ryzen or lower. Get an Cosair H60 or Noctua equivalent at the very least, or if you are hellbent on a low profile cooler get something thicker and possibly made of copper.

Edit: The wraith spire cooler that should come with a 2700 should be more than enough, so there is probably no reason to buy an after market cooler unless you are trying for a heavy overclock.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I bought this a few months ago and it's been excellent. 4k, ips, freesync, under $300. Max 60hz though and the stand it comes with doesn't adjust up or down.

I'm sure that's a pretty kick ass monitor, but I bought my 27", 1440p, on nVidia's gsync list, but TN panel for $300.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Thanks for the impressions, guys. I'll wait a couple months and just put a PS4 in place right now for when I have lots of down time. Im still reading up on cards, processors and memory and this is the most convoluted shit. I had no idea how much bull shit you have to wade through now just to know how well something works, how well it works in conjunction with something else you want to pair it with and more. I was almost at the point of just having someone build it for me just so I didnt have to worry about improper installation etc. and damn if I cant find a custom PC builder website that will just let me pick my damn parts and put it together for me. If I wanted a Falcon-NW, it wouldnt be going in my office but replacing my current. When I looked at cheaper websites, they have some high end items mixed with some insane bottle necks. What is the point of having a Geforce 2080TI with only 8 gigs of the slowest DDR4 you can get and a 250 gig 7500 rpm hard drive? Why cant I change these stupid options? How is this place "Customized?" unless you're specifically talking about the f'n cases? WOOOO AUTO PAINT DESIGNS ON A COMPUTER THAT I STORE OUT OF SIGHT! :tyen:

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Nahh dude only the gen 2 ryzens had problems with certain RAM, this should not be the case with gen 3 coming up. everything else should work with everything else just make sure you get the right socket mo bo, lol. Then everything just plugs into mo-bo like we have been doing since Pentium 3 days.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
AMD with a soft kiss on our cheeks...

See? Now thats what im talking about and have been saing for a long time. Competition is a bitch for them. But great for us. I would not even doubt that this now affects gen3 ryzen prices in a positive way for us too.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Intel can fuck right off. My next system will be a Ryzen one. They have no one to blame but themselves for their greed and stagnation.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
the last intel i bought was a p2 400, thats only cuz i had the intel builder program and they gave the motherboard for free.

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
Thanks for the impressions, guys. I'll wait a couple months and just put a PS4 in place right now for when I have lots of down time. Im still reading up on cards, processors and memory and this is the most convoluted shit. I had no idea how much bull shit you have to wade through now just to know how well something works, how well it works in conjunction with something else you want to pair it with and more. I was almost at the point of just having someone build it for me just so I didnt have to worry about improper installation etc. and damn if I cant find a custom PC builder website that will just let me pick my damn parts and put it together for me. If I wanted a Falcon-NW, it wouldnt be going in my office but replacing my current. When I looked at cheaper websites, they have some high end items mixed with some insane bottle necks. What is the point of having a Geforce 2080TI with only 8 gigs of the slowest DDR4 you can get and a 250 gig 7500 rpm hard drive? Why cant I change these stupid options? How is this place "Customized?" unless you're specifically talking about the f'n cases? WOOOO AUTO PAINT DESIGNS ON A COMPUTER THAT I STORE OUT OF SIGHT! :tyen:
Try calling up Xidax , I had great experience with their rep. Reid. I think they could get you what you want.

• 1Like

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
I am really interested in overclocking not working. I wonder if that is specific to the board and/or manufacturer, or if all the x470/b450s etc. will be hobbled at launch.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
For my fellow Canucks. Mike's has some decent sales going on for Canada Day, including 16gb of ram for $60

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Built my desk. 74 inch countertop from Ikea with two cabinets underneath. So much fuckin space. My light in the room is broken so I'll take better pics tomorrow

I have monitor arms on the way. Don't @ me

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Built my desk. 74 inch countertop from Ikea with two cabinets underneath. So much fuckin space. My light in the room is broken so I'll take better pics tomorrow View attachment 213470View attachment 213471

I have monitor arms on the way. Don't @ me

Consider getting one of the adils legs to support the middle back of the top, as the weight of the monitor and the lack of support will make it sag over time.

Also, get some rubbery kitchen drawer liners from the dollar store or w/e to put between the Alex units and the top if you find they slide if you're putting any pressure against the top from the front.

I picked up a bunch of plastic organizer baskets to keep the drawer contents orderly, as they're huge and easily turn into messy junk drawers otherwise.

Welcome to the club.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 1Like

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
I picked up a bunch of plastic organizer baskets to keep the drawer contents orderly, as they're huge and easily turn into messy junk drawers otherwise.
Have white version of those cabinets, no baskets, can confirm.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Another nice addition to the Ikea setups is this cheap little thing

Helps keep cables orderly under the desk and can even support monitor power bricks, power bars, and the like. It's slim enough that you can even fit it along with that support leg I mentioned without it getting in the way.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Nice thanks for the ideas. I considered the support but I noticed people recommend them usually for 90+ inches and one set of legs but I might get one anyways. I do need a cable management system so I'll see

All told it was about $360. Cabinets run about $90 each and if I went plain colored top I could've saved money. But I wanted a nice desk so splurged. Premade desks are garbage

The worst part was having to go to Ikea