Desktop Computers

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Killed my GTX 1080, it's been limping along since playing too much APEX on launch before they optimized it. Actually, I think my old PSU damaged it.

EVGA is sending me an RTX 2070 for my RMA.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mr. K

Molten Core Raider
I currently have a 1080ti. I would need to see the next tier up from the 5700xt when that happens. Also, I would want to see how they handle their driver support and OC'ing software.

Overall looks great from a price/performance standpoint in the 400-500 range.

1080TI is almost impossible to replace right now. I'd be surprised if you'd even need to bother for another two or three years. High end video cards are in a really weird spot.

Mid range is awesome right now.

jsquirrel

Molten Core Raider
Is it still a good idea to get a used 1080ti? There's an Asus Strix OC Gaming for $440 and an EVGA FTW3 for $490. Worth the extra $50 for EVGA?

Starting to think about my new system for VR and some light Blender stuff.

Last edited:

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Is it still a good idea to get a used 1080ti? There's an Asus Strix OC Gaming for $440 and an EVGA FTW3 for $490. Worth the extra $50 for EVGA?

Absolutely worth the extra $50 for EVGA, and a few months back I purchased a 1080 Ti for $600 or so. Still works fantastic on many games, and I'm CPU bottlenecked now on many screens.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>

IIRC, EVGA will honor warranties on used cards that are still within their original warranty period.

• 1Like

jsquirrel

Molten Core Raider
Actually after more research I think I'm going to opt for a newer RTX card later on (probably a 2060S or 2070S if there's a crazy Black Friday sale). I still have a ton of games to play that work fine on my 970 and the only reason I 'need' to upgrade is VR - which the RTX cards specifically have new technologies for (Variable Rate Shading). Better to future proof than have a little more muscle now.

Those used 1080ti's are over on OfferUp.com if anyone else is interested, slightly cheaper than eBay's prices at the moment.

Mr. K

Molten Core Raider
Those used 1080ti's are over on OfferUp.com if anyone else is interested, slightly cheaper than eBay's prices at the moment.

Is OfferUp legit? eBay is such trash now. Nothing is actually cheaper than retail unless it's broken.

jsquirrel

Molten Core Raider
Is OfferUp legit? eBay is such trash now. Nothing is actually cheaper than retail unless it's broken.
I honestly don't know, Google Shopping led it to me from a search for 1080 ti. I did notice its default payment is Google Pay/Wallet though, or credit card. No PayPal. Seemed legit enough. wiki page

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

Outside the usual scam shit for any online purchases. You use some common sense(Like don't purchase with a cash app outside Offer Up)...Yes Offer Up is legit. I use it much more than Ebay. I only purchase locally. If they refuse to meet me at their business or home, I move on. That's how I handle transactions.

If you purchase an item, and have it shipped, they have an OK buyer protection program. I had an item never shipped for me. Took a few days, but got refund.

You send the user a text/email asking about the product. Electronics I have go over peoples houses. Test it. Then buy it thru the app. Items that you don't really need to test, like a table let's say. Just pay for it via the app then go pick it up. I may have purchased maybe 20 items? Satisfied with each purchase. I have also sold a car and BS I didn't want on Offer Up.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mr. K

Molten Core Raider
Any opinions on a new EVGA triple fan 2080 for $650? I'm kinda sick of the 5700XT blue balls.

If you are willing to spend $650 for a card why even entertain the 5700XT?

2080>2070S>5700XT>2060S

It's a question of cost not performance. Personally, the bet bang for your buck will be the 5700XT 3rd party cards based on the benchmarks. But if you can spend more than $400~ the 2070S and 2080 cards have better specs and Ray Tracing.

But you really shouldn't be deciding between a 5700XT and 2080. Two totally different brackets.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
If you gonna drop that amount of cash on a card I would personally wait for next gen. the whole 20XX series was a bit of let down all in all. Whole lotta moneys for just a bit of jump from 10xx series.

• 1Like

Mr. K

Molten Core Raider
2080 is a damn good card though

Well I mean, it's the top card available. Not accounting for the different versions. But like for instance. On my budget I built a computer for around a grand or so. And bought a used RX580 for $110.

If I were going to upgrade assuming similar budget constraints. A 5700 or 5700XT makes sense within that scope. Gets me to be able to do qHD and if I'm patient can probably find a sale between $325-$375.

If you have a $1500-$2000 computer, a $650 card makes a ton more sense.

I'm not saying anything bad about any cards. But it's silly to ask "Should I get a 2080 over a 5700XT". Duh, if you aren't concerned about the money buy the better card. It's a no brainer.