Desktop Computers

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Oh god the cables!! For the love of my sanity please post another pic after you tidy that up Big P!

Where you get the dark tempered glass from?
Did not, cables are exactly the same. And the dark tempered glass came with the case. Theres is a dark and non dark model.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Does anyone know whether an nvidia GPU could output video over a thunderbolt port on your motherboard? Unfortunately my google-fu is failing me due to a million trash articles about external GPUs over thunderbolt.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Does anyone know whether an nvidia GPU could output video over a thunderbolt port on your motherboard? Unfortunately my google-fu is failing me due to a million trash articles about external GPUs over thunderbolt.

I highly doubt that's possible. Sounds like you need a dongle to convert a port on the card to thunderbolt.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Thunderbolt to DisplayPort exists but I'm still not quite understanding what you are trying to do. something like mobo > ext GPU > monitor? It has to be a true thunderbolt port not just a type C port.

Thunderbolt 3 is capable of video output:

139323-laptops-news-feature-thunderbolt-3-explained-taking-usb-c-ports-to-the-next-level-image...jpg

Last edited:

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
ya, that won't work. Best you could do for that is any integrated graphics

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Basically I have an Apple Thunderbolt monitor sitting in the basement (that I can't sell) I'd like to use as a secondary monitor. My current desktop system is old and I was trying to figure out whether it was worth trying to get an x570 motherboard with a thunderbolt port when I upgrade it.

As mentioned by others the USB Type-C port on the GPU isn't a thunderbolt port. I know that GPUs do some capability around rendering and outputting that within the system which is how Optimus works, though in that case there is also an integrated GPU and a Ryzen 3 system would not have one.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
On my current build I made sure to get thunderbolt ports on the mobo for the future. My current audio interface is USB 3 but when I am ready to upgrade I will move to an audio interface w/ thunderbolt 3 which is far far batter than usb.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
steam client is a pile of steaming dog shit.
I thought one of my hdd's was on the verge of going kaput by having read speed close to zero. But after looking for a cause for hours (way too long), it turned out that steam client bootstrapper was corrupted or something and it just kept looping reads and then stopped working, giving no error but keeping the hdd usage at 100%. I would have noticed it earlier but I reboot like once a month and steam starts at startup.

here's some funny pics
here's disk read speed taking a nose dive after starting steam

2019_08_14 steam disk usage 1.JPG

and going back to normal after shutting the client down
2019_08_14 steam disk usage 2.JPG

• 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 user