Desktop Computers

Janx

<Silver Donator>
I'm seeing a lot of tech reviewers shit on AMD's drivers with the GPU's by showing Windows 10 having weird colors during driver install. Just here to say I've had that shit happen twice with a 1080ti so its not the drivers but something that started during some OS patch level. Even had it happen on a fresh win 10 install doing nvidia driver install. Not saying their drivers might not be shit outside of that, but its a bogus example.

Fucker

Log Wizard
I'm seeing a lot of tech reviewers shit on AMD's drivers with the GPU's by showing Windows 10 having weird colors during driver install. Just here to say I've had that shit happen twice with a 1080ti so its not the drivers but something that started during some OS patch level. Even had it happen on a fresh win 10 install doing nvidia driver install. Not saying their drivers might not be shit outside of that, but its a bogus example.

Why would any reviewer talk about what the GPU does during a driver install? It's totally irrelevant. Oh wait...I know...it's because most of them are idiots. My 1070 sometimes displays static on driver change. I guess I should swap it out oh noze.

• 1Like
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
The 2070 card they sent me is a brick.

Did you plug in the external power and try a different box? I used to swear by EVGA until they were putting bogus HSF on their 1070's. I have an MSI which suprisingly hasn't burned my house down.

• 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 user

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
The 2070 card they sent me is a brick.

You're bricking these aren't you Mist.

tenor.gif

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Got the EVGA 2080 Ultra for $600 (after rebate). I think I like how cool it runs even more than its FPS--it doesn't really ever seem to get above 50C. For the moment, I hold the top spots for Firestrike and Firestrike Extreme for 3900X w/ 2080.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kiki

Log Wizard
Did you plug in the external power and try a different box? I used to swear by EVGA until they were putting bogus HSF on their 1070's. I have an MSI which suprisingly hasn't burned my house down.

I've always had badluck with EVGA, I've probably killed 2-3 of them. Meanwhile I've never had a MSI burn out on me, but I make sure to buy the ones with at least 2 fans. Solid mobos too.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
You guys see this shit? Nvidia new 436.02 drivers are on steroids!

Game Ready
  • Provides increased performance and the optimal gaming experience for Apex Legends, Battlefield V, Forza Horizon 4, Strange Brigade, and World War Z

Gaming Technology
  • Adds Beta support for GPU Integer Scaling
  • Adds Beta support for Ultra-Low Latency Mode
  • Adds support for new Freestyle Sharpen Filter
  • Adds support for new G-SYNC compatible monitors

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
You guys see this shit? Nvidia new 436.02 drivers are on steroids!

Game Ready
  • Provides increased performance and the optimal gaming experience for Apex Legends, Battlefield V, Forza Horizon 4, Strange Brigade, and World War Z

Gaming Technology
  • Adds Beta support for GPU Integer Scaling
  • Adds Beta support for Ultra-Low Latency Mode
  • Adds support for new Freestyle Sharpen Filter
  • Adds support for new G-SYNC compatible monitors

Hah, when I tried installing my 2070 brick, when it didn't work at first, I DDUed my drivers, and installed 436.02, and tried running it. It worked for a bit before bricking again.

I put my old 1080 card back in, DDUed again, ran it on 436.02, and was like WOW EVERYTHING IS SO SMOOTH I SHOULD DDU MORE OFTEN MY PERFORMANCE IS GREAT.

I guess it was actually the drivers! That's incredible.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So going out today to micro center to get my kid his 3700x and a new mo bo, what mo bo would you guys recommend? And im not talking the $500 ones, im talking more like entry $130. He needs one 16x slot decent audio and some usb shit.

Here is ones they have in relative price range...

Capture009.PNG

Last edited:

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
So going out today to micro center to get my kid his 3700x and a new mo bo, what mo bo would you guys recommend? And im not talking the $500 ones, im talking more like entry $130. He needs one 16x slot decent audio and some usb shit.

Here is ones they have in relative price range...

View attachment 220360

Heads-up: MSI has the least responsive x570 BIOS support right now.

If you don't need onboard Wi-Fi, I had an ASRock Phantom 4 which I had briefly and was easy to get running. But I'm not sure all the lower end x570s have great RAM support--you want to be sure the board can handle RAM in the 3600 to 3800 range, preferably higher, so you can get the most out of FCLK. Gigabyte Gaming X is ~$170 and claims higher speed RAM support. Gigabyte has been pretty current with supporting BIOS updates, too.

Asus TUF Gaming (~$200) or Gigabyte Elite (~$210) are regarded as great price/performance. Both have onboard Wi-Fi, so you don't have to buy an adapter card. Of those, I would pick the Asus because their BIOSes just seem more intuitive to me. Either of these will become about a $150 mobo with the CPU/Mobo combo discount.

If you decide to splurge, none of the $300 to $400 boards is bad. I like my MSI Ace, and the GB Master is solid. Even the Taichi is good (though it seems to run a little hot), but I think Asus Crosshair Hero VIIIs have been posting the best gaming benchmarks. Downside is only two m.2 slots on the Hero. All of the other board manufacturers put three m.2 slots on $300+ boards.

Remember to see if they have any open-box deals!

Last edited:

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So im gonna have to update bios on this shit before running it? WTF? Is this 1990s? Maybe I should go with Intel, lol.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Prob best to update it(at least check) regardless of what you get while you haven't really installed anything yet

• 1Like

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
So im gonna have to update bios on this shit before running it? WTF? Is this 1990s? Maybe I should go with Intel, lol.

X570 should run out of the box (though it probably won't be the most current BIOS).

If you get a 470, 450, or lower board, you might have to flash it to run a 3000 series, which becomes a hassle with boards that don't have an external flash BIOS button. Micro Center is pretty good about doing that before sale on new boards, though. They'll stick a label on the box if it has been updated.

Last edited:

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If the mb works with everything you have, there's generally no point in updating the bios.
After a certain point 3-4 months after the launch of a platform maybe. Those first few BIOSes are generally fucking rough.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Ok so I bought everything, went with AS rock x570 pro4, everything seems to be working, booted up nice and now doing win updates.

• 1Like