Desktop Computers

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
So if I have a 1440p, 160hz, G-sync monitor and plan on getting a 3700x, should I get a 2060 Super, 2070, or 2070 super?

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
1440p @160hz is 2080ti territory and not happening for a lot of games.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I have a regular 2080 with a 1440 165hz monitor and avg like 140 fps in pubg, which is one of the worst running games

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
So....went with the Samsung.

i7 7700K 4.2GHz 1080ti. 3840x1080. Freesync on. Highest settings all games minus bloom.

Resolution supported. Destiny 2. 120 FPS
Resolution not supported. Mod needed. Monster Hunter World. 80FPS
Resolution supported. BF1. 75FPS
Resolution supported. Tera. 30FPS
Resolution not supported. Overwatch. 144FPS
Resolution supported. Diablo 3. 177FPS????
Resolution supported. Vermintide 2. 100FPS
Resolution not supported. City Skylines. 75FPS

4789002399361494738.jpg
IMG_20190906_144713.jpg

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Resolution supported. Diablo 3. 177FPS????
Okay this got me curious, did you have mouse issues at all and/or can toggle the larger cursor? Cause D3 is terrible with actual 4K resolutions and scaling (like you can't use 150% for text or it F's everything up)

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Okay this got me curious, did you have mouse issues at all and/or can toggle the larger cursor? Cause D3 is terrible with actual 4K resolutions and scaling (like you can't use 150% for text or it F's everything up)

D3 was fine...

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
So I want to upgrade this old behemoth of a machine into something a bit better and I have roughly $1200 to do it. I can stretch it a little but I'd rather keep it to around that budget.

I have a 1080ti, good storage and a great case so I don't need those, but the rest of my specs are as follows:

Processor: Intel Core i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.9GHz
RAM: 16384MB

My motherboard is some cheapish board, as I replaced my old one when it stopped working recently.

Basically I want to replace this 267 year old CPU, Motherboard and RAM, because the rest of my components are fine but I'm not sure if it's worth taking the plunge on a Ryzen or sticking with Intel (which I've always liked previously).

It'll be mainly for gaming with some slight photo editing with GIMP or photoshop (and regular computer usage like browsing).

Thanks to anyone willing to help

Fucker

Log Wizard
So I want to upgrade this old behemoth of a machine into something a bit better and I have roughly $1200 to do it. I can stretch it a little but I'd rather keep it to around that budget.

I have a 1080ti, good storage and a great case so I don't need those, but the rest of my specs are as follows:

My motherboard is some cheapish board, as I replaced my old one when it stopped working recently.

Basically I want to replace this 267 year old CPU, Motherboard and RAM, because the rest of my components are fine but I'm not sure if it's worth taking the plunge on a Ryzen or sticking with Intel (which I've always liked previously).

It'll be mainly for gaming with some slight photo editing with GIMP or photoshop (and regular computer usage like browsing).

Get an AMD Ryzen 3600x/ Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite/ Crucial 16GB 3200 DDR 4/ 1tb NVME M2 SSD/ Seasonic power supply/ Case. Right around $750 as a base. Toss in a $6 Windows 10 serial key from Ebay, too.

That will be FAST and you have room for a good 1440 screen if you don't already have one.

Mr. K

Molten Core Raider

Do you want to hit $1200 or stay below? Also given how close we are to Black Friday, I'd wait. I probably saved somewhere in the realm of $300 by buying on Prime Day and not being extremely tied to specific components (aside from processor due to the new Ryzen release and knowing the price was fixed).

But if you want to go now, I'd set up deal alerts on Slick Deals.

Obviously I still bought good components, but as an example I was going to do a a B450 board, but the ASRock X470 Taichi ended up on sale for like $50-60 off and its pretty beastly and wasn't that much more.

I do really love my Ryzen 5 3600 and feel like they are very worthwhile especially on a budget. If you have unlimited funds I can make an argument for the Intel i9.

Also do you want any fanciness? The last time I built a computer there were no windows in cases, so I had a bit of fun with RGB and decided to do a AIO cooler for the heck of it.

I'm also a cheap fuck, so I made use of Facebook Marketplace for the video card in my instance. But I've noticed fans and cases and peripherals can be found pretty damn cheap if you are looking to save a bit.

ver_21

Molten Core Raider

CPU: 3700X $330+
Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Master $350
RAM: 16GB DDR4 $150-200
----------
$880+

Get a 3700X or better for dabbling even more in photo editing and perhaps branching into video. None of the X570s in the $300-400 range is bad, but I think most would agree the Master, and support for it, is solid. For RAM, something from the Master's Qqualified Vendor List that is also B-die with XMPs in the 3600-4000 range

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Get an AMD Ryzen 3600x/ Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite/ Crucial 16GB 3200 DDR 4/ 1tb NVME M2 SSD/ Seasonic power supply/ Case. Right around $750 as a base. Toss in a $6 Windows 10 serial key from Ebay, too.

That will be FAST and you have room for a good 1440 screen if you don't already have one.
Do you want to hit $1200 or stay below? Also given how close we are to Black Friday, I'd wait. I probably saved somewhere in the realm of $300 by buying on Prime Day and not being extremely tied to specific components (aside from processor due to the new Ryzen release and knowing the price was fixed).

But if you want to go now, I'd set up deal alerts on Slick Deals.

Obviously I still bought good components, but as an example I was going to do a a B450 board, but the ASRock X470 Taichi ended up on sale for like $50-60 off and its pretty beastly and wasn't that much more.

I do really love my Ryzen 5 3600 and feel like they are very worthwhile especially on a budget. If you have unlimited funds I can make an argument for the Intel i9.

Also do you want any fanciness? The last time I built a computer there were no windows in cases, so I had a bit of fun with RGB and decided to do a AIO cooler for the heck of it.

I'm also a cheap fuck, so I made use of Facebook Marketplace for the video card in my instance. But I've noticed fans and cases and peripherals can be found pretty damn cheap if you are looking to save a bit.

CPU: 3700X $330+
Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Master $350
RAM: 16GB DDR4 $150-200
----------
$880+

Get a 3700X or better for dabbling even more in photo editing and perhaps branching into video. None of the X570s in the $300-400 range is bad, but I think most would agree the Master, and support for it, is solid. For RAM, something from the Master's Qqualified Vendor List that is also B-die with XMPs in the 3600-4000 range

Thanks guys, I'm going to start working out my build tonight :) Been tempted with an i9 for a while, but Ryzen is looking pretty damn attractive at that price point.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Thanks guys, I'm going to start working out my build tonight :) Been tempted with an i9 for a while, but Ryzen is looking pretty damn attractive at that price point.

9900k seems to be worth like +10 fps in every game right now.

We'll see what AMD is going to do with its patch next week.

Happy building!

Fucker

Log Wizard

The 3700X is a really good CPU. You don't need a top of the line mainboard. A Gigabyte B450 with the slots you want is good enough. MSI and ASUS have been having BIOS teething issues, but not Gigabyte. It's as stable as any Intel board I've owned.

Ryzen comes with a good cooler, too...though a bit noisy. You can always swap it later for a Noctua. I have an ND-15 on mine and it's almost silent at full tilt.

Get a good 1tb NVME M2 SSD. About $125.

16GB Crucial 3200 ram is what I use. No issues. If you aren't screwing around with ram timings, then there's no need to get expensive ram kits.

Whatever power supply you get should be a Seasonic. No need to get big watts, but get modular.

This is about $725 and is a solid base for building the rest. Add a case, a big platter drive, and you'll have enough left over for a nice 1440p screen and be right at budget.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Also given how close we are to Black Friday, I'd wait.

Getting a very strong itch to rebuild, and going to make myself wait.

Was originally budgeting for about $2k for a new build, but it seems like I won't near that. Only thing I will keep will probably be the EVGA Supernova 1000W Platinum PSU. I have this Silverstone Fortress FTB02 case w/ the 90 angling (that I fucking love) but I think I am going to move to something smaller. This thing is just insanely heavy. What are generally the seen as the best cases on the market right now? I'm not 12 so the LED lighting is fairly mute, although a tad bit of it is ok. The new RGB matching stuff would be fine in small doses.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
2070 Super is a hell of a card for the price imo.

That is what I've seen, I just wanted the opinion of people who have purchased higher end cards before. I've always gone for mid-tier, budget cards so this would be the first time I spend as much on the graphics card as on the cpu+mobo+ram.

I mentioned the G-sync monitor because I didn't know how much G-sync would ameliorate the difference between 75 fps and 65 fps average or if I was paying more to ensure higher 1% and .1% lows.

Mr. K

Molten Core Raider
Getting a very strong itch to rebuild, and going to make myself wait.

Was originally budgeting for about $2k for a new build, but it seems like I won't near that. Only thing I will keep will probably be the EVGA Supernova 1000W Platinum PSU. I have this Silverstone Fortress FTB02 case w/ the 90 angling (that I fucking love) but I think I am going to move to something smaller. This thing is just insanely heavy. What are generally the seen as the best cases on the market right now? I'm not 12 so the LED lighting is fairly mute, although a tad bit of it is ok. The new RGB matching stuff would be fine in small doses.

I really like the Lian Li O11 it's very nice.

The Fractal Design Meshify aases are considered really good due to the air flow.

I have a Corsair Carbide 275R I really like; and their higher end cases seem good as well.

I personally think the NZXT cases are overrated.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'm going to get a Coolermaster H500 when I eventually build (still using my 4770K with my Corsair 600T case.)

For $99-$109, the H500 seems great. Tempered glass and 2x 200MM front intakes with a mesh front. 200mm fans rotate at much lower RPMs so they will always be quieter while moving more air.

Maybe the H500M if I want to splurge. The H500Ps don't seem that good for the price.