Desktop Computers

Fucker

Log Wizard
Can't say I am wanting those size monitors these days but it looks really good.

People have forgotten how heavy CRT's are. Also, CRT's fade over time. Also, they were shit to use at anything but gaming.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
My 21” Viewsonic took up the whole passenger seat of my 86 Rx-7 going to LAN parties. And weighed as much as any chick I dated too.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
harhar, who had a keyboard monitor stand tray?
41Q1lXfgyvL.jpg

crts were so heavy, it made an indent on steel.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I was carrying a 19inch CRT when my crazy ex forced me to drop it. It would have broken my foot if hadn't missed by an inch and just put a big crack in the floor.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

B-stock, but has a 1 year warranty and being EVGA, I'm not at all worried. 1000W for $79? Yes please. Better than what I have in my current system. Might have to do a little swap when this comes in since it'll be just powering i5-2500k and GTX 970.

Argarth

On the verandah
Why exactly do you need a 1k watt power supply?

Because overkill is a wonderful thing! ...and some of the best "bang for your buck" can be had in a power supply, especially considering how long a really good one lasts.

I have a Corsair HX1000i, and torture testing (2700X and 1080Ti fully tapped out together) it's pushing out ~485 watts and the internal fan still won't kick in. PS temp in the low 50s.

So under any other "normal" load, the power supply is always running 100% silent, and cool. I like that a lot.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Been running a OCZ StealthXStream 500W ATX psu since december 2009. This is the 3rd build it powers, and I fear it won't bring enough to the table when I upgrade my stuff again in 2020 or 2021.

/sadface

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Because overkill is a wonderful thing! ...and some of the best "bang for your buck" can be had in a power supply, especially considering how long a really good one lasts.

I have a Corsair HX1000i, and torture testing (2700X and 1080Ti fully tapped out together) it's pushing out ~485 watts and the internal fan still won't kick in. PS temp in the low 50s.

So under any other "normal" load, the power supply is always running 100% silent, and cool. I like that a lot.

No kill like overkill.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Just upgraded from an R9 390 to an RX 5700. Got it for $288 open box at MicroCenter. Now I can play FF14 at sweet, sweet 144hz. No regrets.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Argarth

On the verandah
Thoughts on this build?

I have an acquaintance who works for Intel who might be able to give me an i9 for 50% off which would obviously change things up but this is what I'm thinking.

The only thing I would say is "maybe" drop some of the ram (unless you need it for content creation) and spend it on the next tier of graphics card. After looking at the pricing a bit, might not be possible without finding some more $$ as well, and then the value for money isn't really there either. (nice saving on the i9, some of which would be spent on aftermarket cooling)

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Really? I might just drop the RAM to a lower cost then.

Professional tidbit. I work in data aggregation and Nvidia is one of my clients. It's nice to run all of that Reddit, Amazon, Jingdong, Newegg, etc. data through AI models and see the outputs. 2080 Ti are not worth the cost. 2070 Super is the way to go. Even the people who work there tell me so. And the data on the entirety of "the Internet" jives with that.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
What does that even mean? Either you have a use case for it or not. If you plan to play at 4k going with anything other than a 2080ti is a waste of money.