Desktop Computers

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I'm going to get a Coolermaster H500 when I eventually build (still using my 4770K with my Corsair 600T case.)

For $99-$109, the H500 seems great. Tempered glass and 2x 200MM front intakes with a mesh front. 200mm fans rotate at much lower RPMs so they will always be quieter while moving more air.

Maybe the H500M if I want to splurge. The H500Ps don't seem that good for the price.
I wish Silverstone would update the RV02 to a modern build. Just cut the drive bays out of the front and make it a smaller case, but otherwise the same.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
So we have two computers in the home, both a bit away from the router. We have two network cables that run through one of the bedrooms to get to these computers, but they are a bit untidy and unseemly on the floor. I've heard of using electricity outlets to transmit local network traffic, basically you plug something into an electrical socket, both near the router and computer and by some magic you have internet.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? What are the pros and cons of it? Worth while or a waste of money?

Mr. K

Molten Core Raider
So we have two computers in the home, both a bit away from the router. We have two network cables that run through one of the bedrooms to get to these computers, but they are a bit untidy and unseemly on the floor. I've heard of using electricity outlets to transmit local network traffic, basically you plug something into an electrical socket, both near the router and computer and by some magic you have internet.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? What are the pros and cons of it? Worth while or a waste of money?

How new is your house? If it's old, id say don't even try. If it's newer it might be worth buying, testing and if it doesn't want work return it.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm

The age of your house and how old the wiring definitely comes into play for power-line adapters. You must have a ground for it to work, distance is another big factor, logical locations related to circuit breakers and other things come into play, etc.

The biggest concern is that you can't plug them into a power strip or surge protector so if you frequently have blackouts, brownouts, storm outages, surges then even if it works at the start you will always be worried.

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
Failing that fix some cable management to the trim so they atleast stay straight and out of the way. If you're carpeted you can hide them too since network cables aren't going to start a fire.

• 1Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
It's an old house, 60 years old, but the wiring was redone about 25 years ago. Thanks for the info. Probably just best to do some better cable management.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So I want to upgrade this old behemoth of a machine into something a bit better and I have roughly $1200 to do it. I can stretch it a little but I'd rather keep it to around that budget.

I have a 1080ti, good storage and a great case so I don't need those, but the rest of my specs are as follows:

Processor: Intel Core i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.9GHz
RAM: 16384MB

My motherboard is some cheapish board, as I replaced my old one when it stopped working recently.

Basically I want to replace this 267 year old CPU, Motherboard and RAM, because the rest of my components are fine but I'm not sure if it's worth taking the plunge on a Ryzen or sticking with Intel (which I've always liked previously).

It'll be mainly for gaming with some slight photo editing with GIMP or photoshop (and regular computer usage like browsing).

Thanks to anyone willing to help

Just did this to my kids ailing i5 6600k system. For like $600 he was good to go again.

amd 3700x
asrock pro 4 x570 board
3200 ram

Feel free to spend a bit more on the mo-bo and ram, but this was my kids comp and his money, lol. But its a banging system now. With his 1070 hes getting 20-50 fps improvements in all his games across the board now with that 3700x AMD proc.

One thing though, I woud def get is a good cooler with that proc, even one of those self contained water setups. That proc runs hot.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
What's the best way to get Bluetooth these days? My X570 board (coincidentally, the same one mkopec mkopec mentioned above) doesn't have it. I've had nothing but problems with USB dongles in the past, so I was leaning towards getting an Intel 9260 m.2 card even though I have no need for the wifi part of it.

One thing though, I woud def get is a good cooler with that proc, even one of those self contained water setups. That proc runs hot.
If you're going to buy a good cooler and have any interest at all in OC'ing there's very little reason to go beyond a Ryzen 5 3600, and in some reports I've seen the higher end models actually OC worse.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah that chip is not even Oced. Its just the turbo shit turned on. Ive read the same thing that OCing that chip does not really gain much if anything at all. Still even at stock with turbo it gets a bit toasty.

Now ive read that the way the chip actually measures temps is a bit different than others and im still within the normal operating range with the 212 CM air cooling. But nevertheless I would still opt for a water cooling solution for any of the AMD 3rd gens.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Getting the strong itch to build a new PC since mine is now four years old, but I think I'll wait for Black Friday / Cyber Monday for some deals. Will pretty much need everything except for maybe a power supply. Are a new series of Nvidia cards expected to be announced in the coming months that will cause 2070 Supers to decrease in price? Not sure I want to ball out for a 2080 Ti.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Now that I’m back doing more PC gaming I want to upgrade my 980TI... so all this talk of the 2070 Super has me interested. Black Friday stuff isn’t -that- far away. Like one of the EVGA FTW or something.

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
What's the best way to get Bluetooth these days? My X570 board (coincidentally, the same one mkopec mkopec mentioned above) doesn't have it. I've had nothing but problems with USB dongles in the past, so I was leaning towards getting an Intel 9260 m.2 card even though I have no need for the wifi part of it.

The problem with the m.2 card version is that you might still have to use a dummy pcie for antennae. There are also wi-fi pcie adapter cards that have include bluetooth:ASUS PCE-AC58BT PCI Express AC2100 Dual-Band PCIe 160 MHz Wi-Fi Adapter - Newegg.com

I prefer onboard for wifi and bluetooth simply because it's one less pcie or m2 slot i need to worry about. I think the Asus Tuf Gaming X570-Plus Wi-Fi (~$200) might be the least expensive well-regarded X570 with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth (5.0).

Last edited:

Vorph

The problem with the m.2 card version is that you might still have to use a dummy pcie for antennae. There are also wi-fi pcie adapter cards that have include bluetooth:ASUS PCE-AC58BT PCI Express AC2100 Dual-Band PCIe 160 MHz Wi-Fi Adapter - Newegg.com

I prefer onboard for wifi and bluetooth simply because it's one less pcie or m2 slot i need to worry about. I think the Asus Tuf Gaming X570-Plus Wi-Fi (~$200) might be the least expensive well-regarded X570 with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth (5.0).
Is the antenna actually required for Bluetooth? I've used onboard BT in the past and I never bothered connecting the antennas since I don't use wifi on anything that has an ethernet port. Seemed to work ok for connecting a DS4.

Too late to change my mind about mobos, the system is fully built and just waiting for my 5700 XT to finally get here.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I'm not positive but wouldn't the antenna ports from the mobo act as an antenna without anything plugged into it? If that's the case the m.2 card could definitely have issues.

Vorph

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. Oh well, going to order an Intel 9260 and if it works as-is, great. If not, I'll order one of those PCI slots with a pair of antennas on it too.

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Is the antenna actually required for Bluetooth? I've used onboard BT in the past and I never bothered connecting the antennas since I don't use wifi on anything that has an ethernet port. Seemed to work ok for connecting a DS4.

Too late to change my mind about mobos, the system is fully built and just waiting for my 5700 XT to finally get here.

tbh, not sure how much a difference it would make--bluetooth is at such short range to begin with, and it's not like the anntennae transmit (i don't think they do, anyway)...so it would be a one-way benefit at best

Last edited:

Fucker

Log Wizard
Getting the strong itch to build a new PC since mine is now four years old, but I think I'll wait for Black Friday / Cyber Monday for some deals. Will pretty much need everything except for maybe a power supply. Are a new series of Nvidia cards expected to be announced in the coming months that will cause 2070 Supers to decrease in price? Not sure I want to ball out for a 2080 Ti.

Do it. I was fine with my 4790K, but the 3700x is just so much faster that the 4790K feels broken somehow.