Desktop Computers

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
tbh, not sure how much a difference it would make--bluetooth is at such short range to begin with, and it's not like the anntennae transmit (i don't think they do, anyway)...so it would be a one-way benefit at best

Mostly only in that they can provide gain and/or directionality. Like it is X dBi so a little more range.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Getting the strong itch to build a new PC since mine is now four years old, but I think I'll wait for Black Friday / Cyber Monday for some deals. Will pretty much need everything except for maybe a power supply. Are a new series of Nvidia cards expected to be announced in the coming months that will cause 2070 Supers to decrease in price? Not sure I want to ball out for a 2080 Ti.
My six year old PC is just fine, I don't think it's worth upgrading.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Good for you. But I want to run things on high settings across the board without any performance compromises. My four year old computer will not accomplish that. Witcher 3 is about the height of what it can handle.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Hey I thought I'd just let you all know that I got around to building the machine, and now It's been upgraded into an i9 9900k and the Ram has been upgraded to 16Gb of 3200mhz RAM.

So that along with my GPU now gives me the specs of:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 4.70GHz (16 CPUs), ~4.7GHZ
Memory: 16384MB RAM
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
Mobo: MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC

The reason I ended up picking an i9 up instead of a Ryzen (Thanks for all the suggestions btw, it actually made me really closely compare them) was simply because I got a good deal on my i9. Initially it was going to be around £499, but I managed to pick up a new one for £410 from a friend who could get me trade prices. It meant that I could afford to grab a really nice modular PSU and Liquid Cooling AIO for my CPU.

It's running incredibly well at the moment, but I had absolute hell trying to set it up, by installing Windows off of a USB drive. Whatever I did, it kept freezing on the windows loading logo. I ended up spending a good 6-7 hours troubleshooting it and in the end I had to update my BIOS from the base to the newest, and it just immediately ran the UEFI W10 USB and has been fine since. The only issue I've had so far is my SATA ports or data cables might not be actually working as I had to use multiple different ports and cables in order for it to detect 4 of my 5 drives. Luckily all of my SSD and all of my large HDDs were detected, leaving a single 120Gb SSD being shafted.

I'm managing to play games way more smoothly now (I hadn't realised how bad it had gotten honestly) at 4k and I'm hitting a max temp of 60c on my CPU on high load, with about 25c on idle (compared to my old 100c on load and 80c on idle)

Thanks again to everyone that helped me out! It's also nice to have a brand new formatted Windows.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
Hey I thought I'd just let you all know that I got around to building the machine, and now It's been upgraded into an i9 9900k and the Ram has been upgraded to 16Gb of 3200mhz RAM.

So that along with my GPU now gives me the specs of:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 4.70GHz (16 CPUs), ~4.7GHZ
Memory: 16384MB RAM
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
Mobo: MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC

The reason I ended up picking an i9 up instead of a Ryzen (Thanks for all the suggestions btw, it actually made me really closely compare them) was simply because I got a good deal on my i9. Initially it was going to be around £499, but I managed to pick up a new one for £410 from a friend who could get me trade prices. It meant that I could afford to grab a really nice modular PSU and Liquid Cooling AIO for my CPU.

It's running incredibly well at the moment, but I had absolute hell trying to set it up, by installing Windows off of a USB drive. Whatever I did, it kept freezing on the windows loading logo. I ended up spending a good 6-7 hours troubleshooting it and in the end I had to update my BIOS from the base to the newest, and it just immediately ran the UEFI W10 USB and has been fine since. The only issue I've had so far is my SATA ports or data cables might not be actually working as I had to use multiple different ports and cables in order for it to detect 4 of my 5 drives. Luckily all of my SSD and all of my large HDDs were detected, leaving a single 120Gb SSD being shafted.

I'm managing to play games way more smoothly now (I hadn't realised how bad it had gotten honestly) at 4k and I'm hitting a max temp of 60c on my CPU on high load, with about 25c on idle (compared to my old 100c on load and 80c on idle)

Thanks again to everyone that helped me out! It's also nice to have a brand new formatted Windows.

Jesus. 80 idle and 100 load is fucking nuts. Grats on the upgrades and ultra max all thise wonderful settings now! What monitor with 4k? You were fucking pushing that shit before.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It's EVGA and Gold rated, so it can't be that bad right?

Zero reviews though, so I'm nervous. Anyone's Google-fu better than mine? I'm still looking.

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
It's EVGA and Gold rated, so it can't be that bad right?

Zero reviews though, so I'm nervous. Anyone's Google-fu better than mine? I'm still looking.

I don't think you can go wrong with EVGA. That's just their non-modular flavor.

I use and would recommend the EVGA Supernova G3 650 if you want modular instead.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
The last CRT Monitor I owned was a 21" Sony Trinitron. One of the few "I can't believe I really have one of these!" gaming purchases that I'll never forget.

Had a 21" NEC Multisync and I'm pretty sure it weighed 80 pounds. Or felt like it. It was pretty high tech when I bought it 20+ years ago.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Jesus. 80 idle and 100 load is fucking nuts. Grats on the upgrades and ultra max all thise wonderful settings now! What monitor with 4k? You were fucking pushing that shit before.

I know right lol, my back case fan was also janky as fuck, so I had to manually start it every fucking time my PC restarted. I was about to get some sewing machine lubricant to try and fix it up, but the timing seemed right to just pick up something new.

Yeah, I initially had my old 1080p LG monitor for gaming, but I also picked up a 4k LG monitor for movies and because I got a good deal on it and thought I might be able to push my old specs toward that goal.

I soon found out that even though the 2600k was an excellent processor there was no way I could possibly run 4k shit on it and a GTX 980. After my 1080p monitor died (sad days, I loved that display) I was forced to use the 4k display for everything, and it looked really shit when it was downscaled to 1080p or 1440p. It ended up becoming a performance vs aesthetics and the performance was the thing that I sacrificed because I'm a retard that can't handle blurry displays. I picked up a 1080ti and that helped to a certain degree letting me run things at low 4k but it was still pretty bad in some games.

I realised that even though that 2600k was a kickass processor, I could buy it on ebay for under £15 and I had to look into upgrading it lol.

I've been cranking shit up so far and had nothing go under 60fps yet on Ultra settings so I'm pretty happy with it so far. I've OC'd it and pushed my RAM a little so I'm squeezing out performance too.

When I took off my old stock cooler from my old mobo the thermal paste had nearly disappeared too so it's no wonder my house was nearly setting on fire and sounding like an airport when I wanted to play simple 2D games lol.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I don't think you can go wrong with EVGA. That's just their non-modular flavor.

I use and would recommend the EVGA Supernova G3 650 if you want modular instead.

That's exactly the PSU I got, and it's amazing to install and super quiet and efficient.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Glad to hear the SuperNova PSUs are nice. My father recently came to me with a PC he had in mind for some test stuff, and asked me if I wanted any of the parts. Motherfucker had that 1000W Platinum SuperNova in it lol. Very nice surprise.

And Jesus, that game looks fantastic on that Trinitron. I remember seeing someone play WoW on it for the first time, and I remember being blown away. Even some of those Viewsonic's were really nice there for awhile.

Last edited:

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
There was the "Ryzen effect" on fast RAM earlier. Overall desktop market is hot for the first time in a while probably boosting prices on other components.