Desktop Computers

Fucker

Log Wizard
I would go 32gb for sure right now. It might not be necessary yet, but the price is ridiculous and you don't want to deal with trying to match RAM later on.

Currently I'm at 13.7GB of 32GB used. WoW, Discord, Steam, Battle.net, and two Firefox's with a total of 16 tabs. Exceeding 16GB's is right around the corner.

Whoa...you re right. I haven't looked at RAM in a long time. I grabbed more for myself. I was happy with 16 because Photoshop never used that much, but my new program uses all it can.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Was fooling around and threw some stuff together.

Not sure about the RAM but it's cheap AF, so I doubled up from 16 to 32...

Picked up a CPU fan instead of watercooling. (?)

Case looks ugly but not sure there was one I really liked.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
This. Plus I still just don't want to bother with AMD yet. Maybe after I hear the praises for a year+ on stability/drivers etc...

I've had this same issue with Intel's CPUs so saying AMD is the only culprit is unfair to them, now AMD's graphics drivers is what makes me skeptical. Also, who doesn't research their build before buying?

Fucker

Log Wizard

That fan isn't nearly good enough for that CPU. Look at a Noctua. Pick up a Windows 10 code from Ebay. Save 90 and upgrade that weenie GPU. You can also save $60 and get a 650-watt PSU. You can also save $60 with a Fractal Design Meshify case if you aren't hung up on looks.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
That fan isn't nearly good enough for that CPU. Look at a Noctua. Pick up a Windows 10 code from Ebay. Save 90 and upgrade that weenie GPU. You can also save $60 and get a 650-watt PSU. You can also save $60 with a Fractal Design Meshify case if you aren't hung up on looks.
What's wrong with the GPU? Is it the clock speeds, 8GB, or both?

If I step up to 11GB, pretty much all the pricing jumps up to $1k-$1.2K, with the occasional outlier.

Fucker

Log Wizard

If I step up to 11GB, pretty much all the pricing jumps up to $1k-$1.2K, with the occasional outlier.

$170 is too much for an old card, IMO. A base AMD 5700 will be 2x more powerful, but also 2x the cost....but will also last a long time at 1080p/1440 gaming.

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
Rx580 is a 2 year old refresh of a 3 year old card, I had the original 480x 8gb; it was great for the price but it was strictly a 1080p card even in 2016.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>

For barely more you could get a GTX 1660, for slightly more you could get a 1660 TI. I'd recommend the 1660 TI, or really since you are actually getting a good monitor pony up the money and get a 2060 super. Don't cheap out on the video card and not be able to actually take advantage of the monitor!

Also save like $100 on the case and get something like the NZXT H510

Edit: Are you going to spend $20 on an optical drive? GTFO

Last edited:

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
For barely more you could get a GTX 1660, for slightly more you could get a 1660 TI. I'd recommend the 1660 TI, or really since you are actually getting a good monitor pony up the money and get a 2060 super. Don't cheap out on the video card and not be able to actually take advantage of the monitor!

I started looking at 2080s after the earlier discussion, but I got sidetracked with vidya games. I think $700 might be about the most I'd want to spend on GPU right now.

I guess there's a lot of 2060s in the $300-$400 range. And 2070s in the $500 range?

I'm at around $2200 right now, which I'm probably ok with, but I guess I could drop to my original goal of $2k if I stepped down from 2080. My problem is...how much is the difference in performance worth, between 2060/2070/2080?

Edit: Are you going to spend $20 on an optical drive? GTFO

I was going to; $20 doesn't bother me. I know I'm behind the times, but I do still buy CDs :emoji_older_man: :emoji_older_man: :emoji_older_man:

But then again, my old comp has a drive already...so...guess there really is no point in having it. Also removes the need for an external.

I added the largest Noctua I saw, with the best reviews. It's somewhat funny to read the reviews with people talking about how ginormous it is. Also a cheaper case.

Argarth

On the verandah

If you're spending ~ $500 on a CPU you need to spend about the same (or more) on the GPU, or you are completely wasting your money, imo.

So 5700XT or 2070 Super or similar. As Fucker Fucker said re the cooler, even moreso if you are intending to push that Intel CPU.

(I was late to the party, you already got it =)

Fucker

Log Wizard
I started looking at 2080s after the earlier discussion, but I got sidetracked with vidya games. I think $700 might be about the most I'd want to spend on GPU right now.

I guess there's a lot of 2060s in the $300-$400 range. And 2070s in the $500 range?

I'm at around $2200 right now, which I'm probably ok with, but I guess I could drop to my original goal of $2k if I stepped down from 2080. My problem is...how much is the difference in performance worth, between 2060/2070/2080?

I was going to; $20 doesn't bother me. I know I'm behind the times, but I do still buy CDs :emoji_older_man: :emoji_older_man: :emoji_older_man:

But then again, my old comp has a drive already...so...guess there really is no point in having it. Also removes the need for an external.

I added the largest Noctua I saw, with the best reviews. It's somewhat funny to read the reviews with people talking about how ginormous it is. Also a cheaper case.

2060 Super should be ok, I'd think. It's a beast of a card. $400. Also: stable Nvidia drivers all the time.

If you love unboxing things, you'll LOVE unboxing that Noctua fan. Bring a forklift and an engine hoist with you.

Argarth

On the verandah
Lol, don't let them make you feel bad about the optical drives. I still have two, and they actually get used from time to time. =)

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Optical drives can be temperamental and cause system issues due to shitty drivers, and so should only be in a system if it will be used. No point introducing another weak point in stability if you're not going to use it.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Was looking at getting faster RAM, but I'm on a Gen 1 Ryzen 1700 with a B350 board. According to my Memory QVL list, the highest my board will support is 2933. Gonna hold off and hope RAM prices stay cheap. Go for the big upgrade later when I can upgrade board, processor, and memory at the same time.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Optical drives can be temperamental and cause system issues due to shitty drivers, and so should only be in a system if it will be used. No point introducing another weak point in stability if you're not going to use it.

What the hell are you talking about. I've been using them since they came out and never had a problem with them or their "drivers".

Fucker

Log Wizard
Lol, don't let them make you feel bad about the optical drives. I still have two, and they actually get used from time to time. =)

I have blu ray burners and make M-Disc copies of my important data. I still get music on disc, and I flac them to my library. Disc drives are still useful to us luddites.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

next time when you "just add a Noctua", check their website for compatibility

i already checked for you, your mb and case... wtf phantek enthoo??? are compat

e08fb491233f531e524aab5e1ec676ac.png

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I understand only Dom could fuck up a cd drive install.

You have no idea what you're talking about. ALL hardware has a chance of being faulty. ALL drivers have a chance of being incompatible with other software or hardware.

The point I was making (since you seem to be too fucking dense to get it) is that if you're not going to use it: There's no point in having it, especially since it's one more component you need to troubleshoot.