Desktop Computers

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
we've recommened ppl used box fans or vornados b4 to troubleshoot overheating issues, but it's never good for permanent use of 65decibls

I used to be into the whole silent pc builds before I had this one desk job where in the summer it was literally a sweat shop. AC didn’t work right, owner was an Arab, head of HR was this backwoods country girl that never had AC growing up, but they used those giant metal power fans.

I think she called it a house fan? Long time ago, don’t remember, but she said the concept was you put them in the doorways to create airflow. Lo, here comes King Arab with one of these fucking things...shits like 4 feet tall and wide, perfect office hardware with printers and shit, and, no doorways to create airflow. Made like 80 decibels (guessing), and just blew hot air around, and printer paper.

He went out of business a couple years later, and I gave no fucks about the noise any sane sized fan makes after that. I also can’t hear that well either.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I used to be into the whole silent pc builds before I had this one desk job where in the summer it was literally a sweat shop. AC didn’t work right, owner was an Arab, head of HR was this backwoods country girl that never had AC growing up, but they used those giant metal power fans.

I think she called it a house fan? Long time ago, don’t remember, but she said the concept was you put them in the doorways to create airflow. Lo, here comes King Arab with one of these fucking things...shits like 4 feet tall and wide, perfect office hardware with printers and shit, and, no doorways to create airflow. Made like 80 decibels (guessing), and just blew hot air around, and printer paper.

He went out of business a couple years later, and I gave no fucks about the noise any sane sized fan makes after that. I also can’t hear that well either.
the way fans work on ppl is that the airflow is enough to evap the thin layer of sweat, so you're just making a breeze to have the sensation of feeling cooler, it's also why a ceiling fan thats on w/ no one around don't do anything, and it's also why arabs and indians drink hot drinks to cool off, cuz it'll raise the body temp a bit to create the sweat to evap away.

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
the way fans work on ppl is that the airflow is enough to evap the thin layer of sweat, so you're just making a breeze to have the sensation of feeling cooler, it's also why a ceiling fan thats on w/ no one around don't do anything, and it's also why arabs and indians drink hot drinks to cool off, cuz it'll raise the body temp a bit to create the sweat to evap away.

Unfortunately we were in a humid climate, same kind of climate as this past summer where people were dying because it was too hot and too humid for sweat to evaporate. You know shits fucked up when the server room broom closet hardware literally rusts Itself into failure.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Some crazy good sales on Ryzen CPU's going on at Amazon(US and Canada) Now's the time to grab one if you been wanting one.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Some crazy good sales on Ryzen CPU's going on at Amazon(US and Canada) Now's the time to grab one if you been wanting one.

Of course the 3700 isn't the one on sale. 3800 is the same price as a 3700 there though. Might go for that!

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
So I bought that 3800 but I've heard the stock fan isn't that great? How's this for a replacement?

Quite bad. The stock fan is fine if you don't mind noise. Give it a try and get a good fan if you don't like it.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>

Argarth

On the verandah
So I bought that 3800 but I've heard the stock fan isn't that great? How's this for a replacement?

With Precision Boost Overdrive active, and under heavy loads, your 3800X can easily consume ~100 watts. For the love of god get a really good cooler for a really good CPU.

I would be buying at least a Noctua NHU-12S (or 14S if there's room). The cooler/fan will literally last you forever, be whisper quiet, and will allow your CPU to properly stretch its legs.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
With Precision Boost Overdrive active, and under heavy loads, your 3800X can easily consume ~100 watts. For the love of god get a really good cooler for a really good CPU.

I would be buying at least a Noctua NHU-12S (or 14S if there's room). The cooler/fan will literally last you forever, be whisper quiet, and will allow your CPU to properly stretch its legs.

Thanks! I just started following this thread again like six weeks ago now that I'm looking to build a new desktop since my current build is over five years old. So I'm really out of the loop.

I'll have to dig back for those monitor recommendations because my current monitor is even older and I have no idea what's good anymore.

Speaking of, this Black Friday deal worth jumping on?

EDIT: Never mind, there are some harsh reviews on that thing.

Last edited:

Argarth

On the verandah
^^ Can't help you much with monitors, as I'm only interested in flat Ultrawides. Since they're rarer than rocking-horse shit these days, I don't even get to read any reviews. =)

Fucker

Log Wizard

I put the 14 on mine. I had the 14 on the 4790k, bought an $8 adapter kit for it to use on my Ryzen. I have some jobs that take an hour+ on it, and it stays at 65C, and it just has a faint woosh to it.

The stock cooler is ok for most things, but it is LOUD under load. AMD should take Intel's lead and just give us a CPU in a box without a cooler and shave $$ off the price.

Argarth

On the verandah
I put the 14 on mine. I had the 14 on the 4790k, bought an $8 adapter kit for it to use on my Ryzen. I have some jobs that take an hour+ on it, and it stays at 65C, and it just has a faint woosh to it.

The stock cooler is ok for most things, but it is LOUD under load. AMD should take Intel's lead and just give us a CPU in a box without a cooler and shave $$ off the price.

Those double tower units are beastly. Still running my years old NHU-12P on my 2700X, (same adapter kit) and it still does the job just fine. It only has 4 heat pipes, so a newer model (6 or 7) would probably perform even better when the CPU is working really hard. Next cooler will definitely be one of Noctua's black models. Hope they keeping adding to the range.

Noisy fans are just a no go for me, regardless of the situation, so I put the Prism cooler in my daughter's latest build, (not a "real" gaming PC) and the kids love the RGB.

I wondered the same about AMD shipping these "pretty good" coolers and how much could be saved. It's a tough one. I guess they've run the numbers and see the benefit in box sales, especially at the mid to lower end. In my case it came in handy anyway, and would do so for family hand-me-downs in general.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Those double tower units are beastly. Still running my years old NHU-12P on my 2700X, (same adapter kit) and it still does the job just fine. It only has 4 heat pipes, so a newer model (6 or 7) would probably perform even better when the CPU is working really hard. Next cooler will definitely be one of Noctua's black models. Hope they keeping adding to the range.

Noisy fans are just a no go for me, regardless of the situation, so I put the Prism cooler in my daughter's latest build, (not a "real" gaming PC) and the kids love the RGB.

I wondered the same about AMD shipping these "pretty good" coolers and how much could be saved. It's a tough one. I guess they've run the numbers and see the benefit in box sales, especially at the mid to lower end. In my case it came in handy anyway, and would do so for family hand-me-downs in general.
lulz if your kids love RGB, get em this moon

3D Moon Lamp - Rechargeable Night Light,16 LED Colors, Dimmable, (Standard, 4.7in) with Wooden Stand, Remote & Touch Control - Nursery Decor for Your Baby, Birthday Gift Idea for Women had to get a white elephant gift, works nicely actually.

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Thanks! I just started following this thread again like six weeks ago now that I'm looking to build a new desktop since my current build is over five years old. So I'm really out of the loop.

I'll have to dig back for those monitor recommendations because my current monitor is even older and I have no idea what's good anymore.

Speaking of, this Black Friday deal worth jumping on?

EDIT: Never mind, there are some harsh reviews on that thing.
That's a great monitor, and with the extra $50 off for the promo code it's a super good price (Price history shows best price $269.99)

If viewing angles matter to you, I'd spend a little more for an IPS panel though.

First thing I came upon, I'll look a little more.

Last edited:

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
That's a great monitor, and with the extra $50 off for the promo code it's a super good price (Price history shows best price $269.99)

If viewing angles matter to you, I'd spend a little more for an IPS panel though.

First thing I came upon, I'll look a little more.

Dag that one sold out already.

This looks really good though.

Is it worth making sure the monitor has G SYNC? I'm definitely not going to buy an AMD GPU.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Looking for a little tech advice before black friday ends. Looking for a budget rig (around 1k). Spent a lot of time on newegg assembling a pretty good (as far as I can tell) set up, but then I found this: Asus - Gaming Desktop PC - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (8-Core 3.6 GHz), NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Super (8 GB), 16 GB DDR4, 512 GB SSD, AMD B450, Windows 10 Home 64-bit, GL10DH - Newegg.com

With the Ryzen 7 3700X and the GeForce RTX 2060 Super (8 GB) this seems like a better deal than the rig I was going to build. I'm not very tech savvy but I built my last rig (about 7 years ago) and it was awesome- just time to upgrade. I haven't bought a preassembled rig in years because I hate bloatware. Not sure if the ASUS I linked above will come with bloatware or not. I know a lot of the preassembled gaming rigs these days don't come with it.

- Anything jump out to you guys as a reason I would avoid the ASUS I linked? I'm a little bit leery about the 500w power supply- seems awfully low- but I dunno. I also can't tell much about the MB. Although even if I did have more info on the MB I'm not sure what to look for.

- Is it a decent deal? Are there better deals out there? I bumbled my way through building my last PC and it worked well, but if I can avoid trying to relearn how to do it again I wouldn't mind that.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
500w is enough to power that system, but I wouldn't recommend it for more powerful upgrades down the road. Can't really comment on the rest except that that case is shit.