Desktop Computers

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Linus was talking about that recently. Honestly I think after 144hz it really doesn't matter that much. Even when they did the thing with Shroud, the difference past 144 was negligible. Not worth the cost.

Agreed, but I do like that responsiveness and speed has become a large focus among monitor manufacturers. This could lead us back to some of the things we lost when we left CRT's behind.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone here mess around with 4k hdmi over Cat6? Thinking about giving it a go but worried about latency.
Watch that video a couple posts up by Adebisi. They do something like that, it's on the expensive side though. You're really going to be wanting to do something like that over Fiber optic for any distance worth anything

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Ya, watching the video is what got me interested in it. Just not at the level they were doing.

Oldbased

> Than U
Hopefully that knocks currents/last years down some more.
I bought a $120 HP curved months back that was 10x better than the ones I had. I was even able to enable freesync which triggered G-sync showing up on my NV control panel and enabled it to have adaptive sync which took what very little tear/ghosting I had away. That's great but this monitor was meant to be the secondary but I don't have tons to spend on a primary. So now I am looking for a primary that'll do the same trick, but 144+ and up a step from 1920x1080.
27" curved or 32" curved. Hopefully under $200.
Newegg has a Xmas blowout on a MSI one for $209 they claim is $100 off but turns out it has been $219 elsewhere awhile now, but the 32 inch version is $350.

The only part I am lacking for system now is the ram. I ended up buying the 3800X Ryzen 7 on a MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus with a 970 Evo pro 500gb and a 970 evo plus 500 secondary drives with a rosewill rise glow case with 3 extra fans ordered ( 80mm+2 120s on top of the 3 120s and 140 it came with ) and a seasonic 750watt platnium full modular psu.
It seems the 3600 is the sweet spot for cost/speed atm, many says pc3200 on sites but that was 5-9 months old for many of the tech places. Back when I built the system I have the sweet ram was kingston/crucial but kingston seems all but gone now and crucial is hardly suggested on sites.
Pcpartspicker has like olly or whatever the fuck that is on every build but many swear by g.skill or corsair and then you run into no matter who you buy from it isn't always Samsung but hydinx or some shit which no xmp overhead room. I have a bit of time as some parts won't be here for another 10 days or so, but am open to legit ram suggestions.
I know I can buy cheapo shit for $70 for 16gb and I know better stuff is higher, willing to go to $150 on the ram. Anything I save though will bump up my $200 monitor budget.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Tested display port to work laptop with adapter. Def the display port. Do any of you have different sized dual monitor? Is it annoying?

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I'm running 27 inch ips 1080p and 24 inch 1200p displays atm. Honestly the most annoying thing is the stark difference in brightness and color between the two for me. At work I have 3 1080p displays and when I'm there I'm not less annoyed due to everything being the same size compared to my home setup.

Aesthetically it looks bad, but I'm a form over function guy. But I'm also cheap.

Fucker

Log Wizard
I'm running 27 inch ips 1080p and 24 inch 1200p displays atm. Honestly the most annoying thing is the stark difference in brightness and color between the two for me. At work I have 3 1080p displays and when I'm there I'm not less annoyed due to everything being the same size compared to my home setup.

Aesthetically it looks bad, but I'm a form over function guy. But I'm also cheap.

I have 4 Dell screens on my desk, and none of them calibrate perfectly to each other. I've got them close, but the difference is annoying in certain circumstances. There is something to be said for buying the same monitors from the same batch.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Tested display port to work laptop with adapter. Def the display port. Do any of you have different sized dual monitor? Is it annoying?

It will annoy you. Get the same size monitors. Hell different bezel sizes annoyed me.

Fucker

Log Wizard
I like how Seasonic includes a carrying bag with the power supply...because we are all used to carrying around a spare PSU with us where ever we go.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I had a 24 and a 27 for the longest time. When I upgraded my secondary monitor recently I got a 27, and frankly it's too much. I wish I had gotten another 24.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Shit I got 2x 32" and I love my wall of monitor.

Too much?
giphy.gif