Desktop Computers

Argarth

On the verandah
thanks for replying, sorry for being vague - mostly mmos. black desert, etc. looking at ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ right now. i just didn't want to miss anything obviously better in the same price point or on the horizon. thank you!
Check out this section of the HUB review (starts @ 9:58) if you haven't seen it already. ELMB Sync is unique to this monitor I believe, not perfect yet, but seems like a nice option.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Check out this section of the HUB review (starts @ 9:58) if you haven't seen it already. ELMB Sync is unique to this monitor I believe, not perfect yet, but seems like a nice option.

I really like their monitor review videos. The way they present response times and motion blur/overshoot in particular is great

Argarth

On the verandah
I really like their monitor review videos. The way they present response times and motion blur/overshoot in particular is great

Agreed, and they're getting better all the time. I'm not even after this monitor, but still paused the video several times and watched it right through. =) Basically any question you could possibly want answered is getting covered. Can't think of another channel that does it better.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I want to give props to LG monitors having the most logical hookups in the back. They are directly ON the back of the monitor not underneath the front of it. I have no idea why that annoying shit became the standard.

• 1Solidarity

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I want to give props to LG monitors having the most logical hookups in the back. They are directly ON the back of the monitor not underneath the front of it. I have no idea why that annoying shit became the standard.
most likely cuz flat panel tvs are made to be hung, and of course ppl want them to look like a picture frame hugging the wall and that just extends to lcd monitors that sit on a desk that no one would wall hang, and even if you did wall hang you'd use a monitor arm and not have it flat for the most horrible of viewing angles. i mean yea i use monitor arms and the most use i get out of them is to tilt them 90degrees when i install them cuz the stupid cables connect on the bottom.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
After having the nipple controls on my 4k LG monitor i HATE using buttons on my other ones. Nipple so good. LG just gets so much shit right.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
+1 for LG monitors. I bought the 27UD59 last year and it's been flawless. 4k IPS and it was less than 300 bucks. 27" is a nice size too, I tried a 32" but I felt it was too big to comfortably use at my desk (monitor
at just over arm's length).

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
LG's biggest flaw is their trash warranty, and being prone to severe defect issues with some of their panels. They do good stuff otherwise.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This about the best you can do for a 24" , 1080p, 144hz monitor? I want to match my 27" 1440p 144hz in at least refresh rate to avoid the Win 10 bug.

Crone

I'd try a 60hz first to see if it even affects you before spending money on a high refresh
I have a 60hz now. Haven't really seen the bug but thanks for ruining my reason to get new toys. 😂

• 1Worf

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I have a 60hz now. Haven't really seen the bug but thanks for ruining my reason to get new toys. 😂

Some people have it but don't really notice it's happening. I'm not sure if you saw my post on this, but here's how to test for it:

Easiest way to test if it affects you is to do the following:

Load up a video on your second monitor at 60hz and have it playing.
Load up Rimworld on your main high refresh rate display and have RTSS showing your fps
Scroll around on a base map

One of 3 things it going to happen

It plays without issue and at the refresh rate of the main monitor

Your main display will be locked at 60fps instead of the high refresh

The games motion is going to look stutter and like shit compared to how it would at its native refresh rate, but the fps counter will show the high fps despite it.

Other games will work for the test, but it's more easily seen when the screen has scattered objects that are clearly distinct from the background.

Some people report being immune to this issue. Quite a few of those are just unaware of it happening, and some have successfully fixed the issue through some of the various workarounds. (none of which have worked for me)

Crone

Some people have it but don't really notice it's happening. I'm not sure if you saw my post on this, but here's how to test for it:
I do remmeber that post but will test this weekend. Thanks Dom!

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If you have a nvidia card it's pretty easy to fiddle with these two settings:

1579122967361.png

Until the 'bug' goes away.

Unfortunately, the magic combination can change between nvidia patches and between applications displayed on the two monitors.

The main culprit is generally that a video-displaying application running on the 60 hz monitor (secondary) is trying to enforce vsync @ 60 hz and it's impacting content displayed on both screens. If you force vsync off for that application, it generally stops the 'bug.'

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Argarth

On the verandah
Got a bit more interested in this ULMB technology after seeing that ASUS VG27AQ review, so I went hunting for more info. Found another video that really goes deep on the technical analysis aspects. Never heard of this guy before, and he uses a CRT for comparison among other things, so that got my vote!

Just for kicks, I took "1ms Motion Blur Reduction" for a spin on my LG panel. I've never really bothered with it before, because of course no VRR with it on, but also the edge ghosting is pretty obvious. It really does work to almost completely remove smearing though, and running around in DOOM it was quite refreshing to be able to clearly read text on signs and monitors as I flew past. Same with the mesh and grid patterns on floors and walls; almost no smearing at all. After playing like this for about half an hour I was getting quite used to it. Keeping in mind my monitor only has a 75Hz refresh rate, and including MBR was probably an afterthought. Really interested to see what happens next, now that ASUS has started the ball rolling with this new monitor.

The entire video is interesting, but the ELMB Sync feature discussion begins at 11:26. @Dom I think you might get a kick out of this one =)

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I need a decent curved 1440p gaming monitor for my new computer. I have a 5700XT in my pc, so I would like it to have freesync. I would prefer not to spend 700 bucks on one too if possible.

Looking at some of these but no idea if they are garbage or not. Please feel free to make other suggestions.

Not curved unfortunately but still a consideration

Last edited: