Desktop Computers

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I need a decent curved 1440p gaming monitor for my new computer. I have a 5700XT in my pc, so I would like it to have freesync. I would prefer not to spend 700 bucks on one too if possible.

Looking at some of these but no idea if they are garbage or not. Please feel free to make other suggestions.

Not curved unfortunately but still a consideration

Do you really need curved? Also, the ones you posts are a mix of various panel types. You should consider settling on one to narrow your choices down. IPS, VA, and TN panels all have their own strengths and weaknesses.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Do you really need curved? Also, the ones you posts are a mix of various panel types. You should consider settling on one to narrow your choices down. IPS, VA, and TN panels all have their own strengths and weaknesses.
I've never used anything but TN so i don't really have any experience or opinions on the others. It doesn't have to be curved. My TV is curved and I thought it might be nice to have one for the computer but its not a big deal.

I use my PC for gaming mostly and netflix or FOH while I do. As I mentioned I have an LG 4k Curved OLED so I don't need this to be a multi-media monitor.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I've never used anything but TN so i don't really have any experience or opinions on the others. It doesn't have to be curved. My TV is curved and I thought it might be nice to have one for the computer but its not a big deal.

I use my PC for gaming mostly and netflix or FOH while I do. As I mentioned I have an LG 4k Curved OLED so I don't need this to be a multi-media monitor.

The easiest way I can break down VA vs IPS (Don't bother with TN. They're trash unless you're super competitive) would be:

VA: Better contrast and cheaper, but sluggish response times (not input) can make things blurry and is a poor choice if you're sensitive to motion blue stuff. Bad viewing angles
IPS: Better colours but worse contrast, a bit more expensive, now close to TN panels when it comes to responsiveness/motion. Prone to IPS glow and backlight bleed lottery panel issues

You won't find nearly as many curved IPS as VA as many VA panels are curved to make up for their shit viewing angles.

• 1Like

Janx

<Silver Donator>
I need a decent curved 1440p gaming monitor for my new computer. I have a 5700XT in my pc, so I would like it to have freesync. I would prefer not to spend 700 bucks on one too if possible.

Looking at some of these but no idea if they are garbage or not. Please feel free to make other suggestions.

Not curved unfortunately but still a consideration

Think about getting an ultrawide. Sooooooooooo good.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Ultrawide is going to make your budget much more difficult to stay within. You're looking at at least a 30% price increase (around the same extra GPU usage going towards pushing pixels for it too)

Here's the current budget winner for an ultrawide which goes for $550

• 1Like

Janx

<Silver Donator>
AOC CU34G2X Got this one for xmas from parents. Pretty nice but as @Dom mentioned about VA panels there is some bluring. Most games its not noticable but in games like path of exile with the item text boxes it can be pretty ugly. It is curved which I actually really like but might not be for everyone. Menus also use buttons which, after being spoiled by a LG monitors nipple controls, I really dislike.

If it was my choice/money I'd probably go with an IPS LG monitor but they seem to be really hard to find for a good price right now. Also not curved.

• 1Like

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
Ultrawide is going to make your budget much more difficult to stay within. You're looking at at least a 30% price increase (around the same extra GPU usage going towards pushing pixels for it too)

Here's the current budget winner for an ultrawide which goes for $550

I don't really have a budget I've just never spent more than like 250 on a monitor before. I just want to get something decent for a solid price is all.

I like that ultrawide. What would be recommend in non ultrawide.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I don't really have a budget I've just never spent more than like 250 on a monitor before. I just want to get something decent for a solid price is all.

I like that ultrawide. What would be recommend in non ultrawide.

Non-ultrawide

IPS option:

Fast as fuck for an IPS. Good colours. Terrible contrast. There's also a better version of this panel, the 27gl850 which has better colours (but more saturated in SRGB) and a somewhat better panel. Not worth the premium unless you really want more vibrant colours.

VA option:

VA panel: big, but great contrast and is one of the better VA panels you'll find

• 1Like

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
@Dom do you have IPS or VA? Im a little worried about the blurring on the VA panels. The contrast on my OLED is one of the things I love about it. Looks like its turned off when it projecta black.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
@Dom do you have IPS or VA? Im a little worried about the blurring on the VA panels. The contrast on my OLED is one of the things I love about it. Looks like its turned off when it projecta black.

I have not owned a VA panel myself. I use IPS.

Yeah, the thing you might want to think of is that you have been spoiled by OLED's pure blacks. Moving to an IPS is going to leave you in the same contrast territory you have with your current TN. IPS will not do what you want it to do if contrast is one of the reasons you're moving away from TN.

My suggestion is to pick one of each panel out and order both from amazon. Settle on one of those and return the other. Though, this might reduce your ability to play the IPS panel lottery if you get one with shitty backlight bleeding or IPS glow.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
On a different note, have you guys been using Firefox's new picture-in-picture mode? It's pretty fucking great. You can pop pretty much any video out and view it on top of everything else, even outside of the browser. It's not quite as customization as OnTopReplica, but it's pretty awesome for a default browser feature.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Chanur Chanur

I just thought of an easy way you can check out ultrawide to see if that's what you'd want. Connect your oled to your PC and create a custom resolution of 3840x1600. Play around with that for a little bit and you can get a good sense for it. 3440x1440 if you want to test the performance of what resolution you'd wind up with if you went ultrawide. Might be a pain to get it all setup, but it's an option.

• 1Like

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
Ended up ordering that IPS LG you recommended. I trust their panels. Thanks Dom!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Ended up ordering that IPS LG you recommended. I trust their panels. Thanks Dom!

Nice. You should be quite happy with it. Just check it out when you get it for really bad IPS glow or backlight bleed. IPS can be a coin toss at times with quality control. Don't settle for a dud and use the return process as needed.

• 1Like